“Perfect in Every Way” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Tugu Bali

You added Hotel Tugu Bali to your Saves list
Hotel Tugu Bali
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Jl Pantai Batu Bolong | Canggu Beach, Canggu, Bali 80361, Indonesia   |
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Canggu
Caves Beach, Australia
“Perfect in Every Way”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

From the moment you step foot in Hotel Tugu you just feel relaxed! It's just one beautiful and amazing place! We stayed in a dendari room and it was so much larger than expected and the room was just beautiful, with an amazing plunge pool and an outdoor bathroom that was just amazing. The resort is small so you feel like you have it to yourself most of the time! It's across the road from a great surf break called Old Mans and Echo Beach is just a short walk away. The food was great and very reasonably priced compared to other bali resorts and the staff just make you feel so accommodating. There is not much around but if your happy to walk 10mins or so there are lots of little shops and restaurants in every direction to explore. We had our 18month old baby with us and she just absolutely loved it and all the helpful staff! They even looked after her while we had our welcome massage! Hotel Tugu was so much more than what we ever expected and even with all it's great reviews on this forum it still was far beyond our expectations.

My only watch out is that because of all the tranquil gardens and fish ponds it's a breeding ground for mozzies so make sure you take plenty of areoguard. The hotel does it's best to accommodate by providing mozzie lotion and citronella candles at every door and in huge outdoor bathroom.

We will definitely be returning to Hotel Tugu each and everytime we return to Bali! I just hope that the tourists don't catch on to the magic of Canggu between now and then so it stays just as is!

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
RoshanFernando, General Manager at Hotel Tugu Bali, responded to this review, March 23, 2014
Dear LozHill,
Thank you for taking time off to write a impressive review. Our team were delighted & inspired by your wonderful comments & sentiments expressed in your review. All of us at at he resort will say “big thank you" from the bottom of our hearts.
You have mentioned & described about the rooms, the food, outdoor bathroom & the “Tugu touch experience" , most importantly of our staff. We will be grateful & truly delighted to have such wonderful comments such as " perfect in every way" & " far beyond our expectations" etc.
I shall personally covey your appreciation to all our staff members in general. I am sure they will be inspired, will be so happy to serve you again any day.
We do hope that with all the experience you had with us will bring you back to your favorite place in the near future on your next visit to Bali.
Roshan Fernando.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

We recently stayed for one week in the Kampoeng Suite with our four children. We had an absolutely perfect stay at the Hotel Tugu. The beautiful rooms, lush grounds, pool, and restaurant are all meticulously decorated with authentic Balinese antiques, statues and paintings. Entering the resort, you feel as if you have stepped back in time. The scents of the flowering trees and the sounds of the flowing water throughout the gardens create a wonderful sense of tranquility and peace. All of the staff were so genuinely friendly, caring and helpful to our family - our children especially adored Sri who let them feed the Koi every day in the many ponds as well as making sure their favourite treats were available for afternoon tea. Thank you Sri! We learned so much about Balinese life and culture from the staff and also by participating in many of the hotel's activities - the cooking class was our favourite! We travelled to Canggu for the surfing - which was also incredible - but will return one day so we can visit again the beautiful Hotel Tugu Bali!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
RoshanFernando, General Manager at Hotel Tugu Bali, responded to this review, March 22, 2014
Dear JeanneG,
Thank you very much for posting your impressive report on TripAdvisor. We are very appreciative of your valuable feedback and are deeply encouraged by your comments of our services and standards. The most importantly we are very happy that your family has had a great time.
We all appreciate the lovely words you have mentioned about little Tugu, particularly about the hotel Ambience , concept, high tea service, cooking class & impressive care for children. We are so happy to have such great comments from our dear guests, which give us tremendous motivation & happiness in our hearts. I was delighted to personally convey your appreciation to all our staff members & specially to Sri.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back again for your next visit in Bali.
westchester county, new york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

We went from Hotel Tugu Lombok to Hotel Tugu Bali. Both properties are unique, filled with antiques, statues and art from all over Indonesia. We did not want to stay in a European/American type hotel; we wanted to stay somewhere where you knew you were in Indonesia! The Hotel Tugus accomplish that, while at the same time, they are very luxurious, the food is great, and the staff is amazing. Everyone is so friendly and so eager to help, yet they don't bother you if you want to be alone. We got a Rejang room, which are the rooms on the second floor with ocean views, huge tubs, carved wood everywhere, and beautiful balconies. Each of the three nights we were there, we sat on our balcony, sipping a tropical cocktail and watched the sun set over the ocean. Wow.

That said, Canggu and this part of Bali are pretty crowded, and we were there during off season. Even though the hotel is well located, going anywhere took a long time because of the incessant traffic. We had stayed in Ubud the week before and it was much less crowded. If only we could transport Hotel Tugu Bali to Ubud, it would be perfect!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
RoshanFernando, General Manager at Hotel Tugu Bali, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
Dear Deedied,
Thank you very much for your time to post a review on your recent stay our resort on TripAdvisor. The team was delighted to have your stay with us and experience the true “Tugu touch”. Thank you for your compliments on our decor & the style of the resort.
Tugu is indeed famous for having one of the most beautiful, vast collections of art and antiquities in Indonesia and besides for the amazing food, service and facilities that you had mentioned above, the hotel itself is a destination by itself to experience the real, authentic, rich and colorful culture of Indonesia in general and of Java in particular.
We are all very much looking forward to having you back as our guests anytime!
Our best wishes,
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

I just had my dream wedding came true with the help of Tugu Hotel professional staffs.. Wedding could be really stressful and crazy, I don't know what to do without the help of Tugu hotel staffs! Everyone at Tugu from the management to the housekeeping were just unbelievably helpful and supportive. The personalised service, the little details and the professional arrangement were just beyond amazing. All of my guests were all blown away with the wedding arrangements and details, I could not ask for a better place to get married.
The wedding suite and the surprise flower petal on our last day staying would be forever engraved in my heart.
Thank you Tugu Hotel for all your courtesy, We will be back (with our first child!)

Diah & Joah Ellis

Melbourne, Victoria

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
RoshanFernando, General Manager at Hotel Tugu Bali, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
Dear DiahEllis,
Thank you for taking your time off to post such an inspiring comment about your wedding at our resort. We are extremely happy to note that it was a total success. In your own words “My dream wedding came true in Tugu style”. How you have expressed your impressions with such finer details of service. I was delighted to personally convey your appreciation to all our staff members, in fact they have read your review and I would like to inform you that you have brought huge smiles on their faces.
We are always committed to serve with that smile from the heart with extra touch & care in every occasion. We want you to consider Tugu as your own home. We are proud of being a part of the Tugu family because of happy guests such as you.
Please do not hesitate to contact us if you ever plan another visit to our hotel. We will be delighted to have you back anytime. Thank you again for your nice sentiments mentioned in your review. We are looking forward to welcome you back soon.
With best wishes,
New York, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

I am in love with this hotel! What a perfect way to finish the trip. It really is like living in a museum so if you love antiques and the Balinese style as i do then this is magical! Our room was heavenly- the design was incredible with an amazing tub and four poster bed. Right across from the beach if you really want to leave this beautiful place :-)
but i have to say, what really makes Tugu special are the people!!! Everyone in Bali is incredibly sweet, but the people at Tugu really made me feel like family. Maggie was a wonderful manager who gave my friend and I a tour of the beautiful grounds and explained the antique collection. She took so much time with us and really made us feel at home. And it extended to the rest of the hotel staff- there are so many to name- I just loved them all!!! I can't remember in all the years I've been traveling feeling so at home in any hotel i've been to. I had hoped Tugu would be as special as it looked on the website, and it far exceeded my expectations. The food is fantastic and the spa is divine. I just can't say enough good things about this place!!! I am dreaming of returning. I miss it so much!! So my advice is- stay here if you are in the south of Bali- you won't regret it!!! KimF

Room Tip: All the rooms are beautiful! We got to see a variety thanks to the incredible hostess/manager Maggie...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
RoshanFernando, General Manager at Hotel Tugu Bali, responded to this review, March 16, 2014
Dear Mycoco,
Thank you for taking time off to write a great review. My team were delighted & inspired by your wonderful comments & sentiments expressed in your review. All of us at at Tugu Bali will say “big thank you" from the bottom of our hearts.
You have mentioned & described about the rooms, food & the “Tugu touch “experience ,concept most importantly of our staff, we will be grateful & truly delighted to have such wonderful comments.
I shall personally covey your appreciation to all our staff members in general & specifically to Maggie as well. I am sure they will be inspired, will be so happy to serve you again any day. We are always committed to create only positive memorable experience for all our guests.
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

we visited Hotel Tugu earlier in February. We found it to be an unbelievably restful place, beautiful grounds, wonderful room. The staff were warm and engaging iwth a family-like feel to theiur interactions with both us and each other. As others have mentioned the Hotel is filled with Balinese antiques and provides a unique feel to the property. The meals were excellent with a range of different styles from Balinese to Javanese to some with Chinese influences. We did the surfing package and had a very successful time trying a number of different beaches. We enjoyed a number of different massages at Tugu and ejoyed them all. It was overall a marvelous experience.

Room Tip: Some rooms have a view of the ocean, some have a plunge pool
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
RoshanFernando, General Manager at Hotel Tugu Bali, responded to this review, March 1, 2014
Dear Michael ,
Thank you very much for your time to post a review on your recent stay at our resort on TripAdvisor. The team and I were delighted to have your stay with us and experience the true “Tugu touch” experience. Thank you for your compliments on our decor & the style of the resort. This is what Tugu hotels & Restaurants stands for and it is our mission to convey the arts, history and romance of cultural Indonesian heritage to our guests. As such, a private, secluded and intimate space is perfect to explore these values.
Michael,we are looking forward welcome you back again for your next visit in Bali !
Our best wishes,
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

My wife and I just spent a week at Tugu. What a great experience!

First, the hotel is stunning...filled with Balinese/Indonesian antiques in every corner of the hotel...from the lobby, to the rooms, to the public bathrooms(!)...Balinese history is everywhere you look.

The rooms are tastefully decorated with a choice of ocean view rooms (upper level) or ground floor rooms with individual plunge pools. Both are fantastic, depending on what you prefer. The Spies Suite and the other suite (I can't recall the name) seem like a wonderful and worthwhile splurge too.

What really makes Tugu special, though, are the people! So kind, welcoming, and pleasant. I really can't emphasize this enough. I wish so much that I could remember everyone's name...unfortunately I'm horrible at remembering names! Both managers we dealt with were absolutely top notch. Irma, whom we met first, was so kind and helpful with whatever we required. Our first room we checked into had a shower head that wasn't working properly, so Irma credited us with 2 hours of massage for the inconvenience....which frankly wasn't an inconvenience to us at all...even though we changed rooms. Maggie, the other manager we dealt with was equally kind and helpful. She took us on a tour of the hotel explaining the significance of the beautiful antiques that fill the hotel. She was so knowledgeable and nice as well!

We celebrated Valentines Day at Tugu and our dinner was out of this world! We were given an amazing special dinner in an amazing room built around a a 300 year old (I think) Chinese temple that the hotel's owners transported to the hotel. The table inside probably seated 30 people, but we had the entire room to ourselves. We sat across from one another at a candle lit table and were just spoiled to death by the service. Just amazing. We both agreed that it was probably the best Valentines Day we have ever had!

I could go on and on about this hotel. Now, it may not be for everyone. If you are looking for a Western, sterile, chain type experience...like a Westin, or St. Regis....this hotel may not be for you. Tugu has 10 times the character/charm and is equal the class in every way, shape and form.

The people (not in order of importance): Irma, Maggie, Widia, Sri (1), Sri (2), Mayen, and many others who we just weren't able to catch their name (we feel terrible about this!). All the wait staff for our meals just bent over backwards for us.

They really do make your vacation special....and we can't wait to return again soon!!!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
RoshanFernando, General Manager at Hotel Tugu Bali, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
Dear CalbertC,
Thank you for taking time off to write a lengthy review. I & my team were delighted & inspired by your wonderful comments & sentiments expressed in your review. All of us at Tugu Bali will say “big thank you" from the bottom of our hearts.
You have mentioned & described about the rooms, food & the “Tugu touch “experience , most importantly of our staff, we will be grateful & truly delighted to have such wonderful comments.
I shall personally covey your appreciation to all our staff members in general & specifically for the ones you have mentioned the names. I am sure they will be inspired, will be so happy to serve you again any day. We are always committed to create only positive memorable experience for all our guests.
Thank you once again for well written & the experience expressed in your recent visit to our resort.
Roshan Fernando.

Been to Hotel Tugu Bali? Share your experiences!