“Connecting with Family” 5 of 5 stars

300 Jl. Nelayan, Canggu, Bali 80361, Indonesia (Formerly Wayan's World)   |
Ranked #9 of 56 Canggu B&B and Inns
“Connecting with Family”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

Don and Justin have created something beautiful in Canggu an oasis of serenity and calmness in a simple yet fashionable way.We spent 5 days there and had such a relaxing time enjoying the facilities that they have created.It was a joy to spend time with Don and Justin and they organized us scooters to tour around the area and sent us to amazing eateries down the road,the highlight was the scooter ride to the local market that Justin showed us and it poured down with rain but what an unforgettable experience.The last night they gave us a taste of there new dinner menu that they will be rolling out soon wow! what an amazing spread and the cocktails they created where amazing,the staff are just so sweet and very helpful they work hard to create something special and that is the Voyager Creative Retreat. Well done and hope to see the place again and stay with Don and Justin.

Room Tip: Have amazing mattresses so you sleep well once you get over the jetlag,i would suggest maybe a room...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
JustinRBoyd, Owner at Voyager Boutique Creative Retreat, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
Dear Gary, Thank-you for your most wonderful review and we are super happy to hear that we made you feel right at home. We have put great effort into giving guests the kind of experience you describe, so to hear it in a review is both satisfying and rewarding. The Café is now in full swing, so next time you're back you can look forward to some delicious ribs and peri-peri chicken done on the BBQ. Keep well and see you back again soon. Regards, Justin & Don

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

discovering this little gem was really cool ... great place in the best location : a stone's throw from berawa and its little cafes and canggu and its surf spots ...

we spent a lovely weekend in a great room with a delicious breakfast included ... the staff is friendly and very accommodating , the set up allows privacy between the bungalows and both the owners are helpful and discreet ...

i will recommend it to anyone (:

Room Tip: ask for the rooms at the back with the outdoors spa ... dreamy !
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi Lola, Thank you for your wonderful review and we are happy to hear that you loved your time here at the Voyager. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future. Kindest Regards, Justin & Don
Beijing, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

The Voyager was amazing. We stayed there at the end of a two week vacation in Bali, and we will definitely be staying there again when we go back to Bali. Don and Justin were great, they helped us find our way around Canggu and were great to talk to and hang out with. The hotel itself was beautiful - not in the grandiose luxury boutique hotel sense, but in the very well designed, artistically subtle and very close to the beach sense. It's welcoming, relaxing, and begs you to stay. We just got back and we are already looking forward to our next stay at the Voyager.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
JustinRBoyd, Owner at Voyager Boutique Creative Retreat, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Hi Austin, Thanks for the wonderful review and we are happy that your time with us was enjoyable - next time you will have to plan a bit longer stay! ;) Hope you and W are well and look forward to seeing you again soon. Kind Regards, Justin & Don
Amsterdam
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

My wife, my 7 months old baby and i planned to stay at the Voyager.
After talking to the owner/manager Justin on the phone and said we first wanted to check out the rooms, we headed n our way from Bingin to Canggu.

Once arrived, we didn't get any help bringing our luggage inside and he just stood there watching us.

Then he showed us the rooms and next we sat down and Justin told us the prices per day and for when we would stay a week.

We weren't quite convinced about the place and that we would gonna have good times there. There were no other guests (which can be nice sometimes), the common area was kind of messy and we just didn't have a good feeling sitting there.
While my wife and i were discussing, he kept standing beside us looking a bit agitated about why we needed the time to discuss things, and didn't give us a moment of privacy at all.

It was already late in the afternoon so we thought about staying for at least one night and probably two and then would see what we would do next. We tried to explain this all to Justin, but he couldn't understand and finally yelled at us that we should have booked online for the whole week and it's people like us that are the problem and that he is trying to run a business here and all.

Well Justin, if you are trying to run a business, you would have helped us with our luggage (or at least offered it) and would have rented out the room to us on a per daily basis.
And if someone then comes along who wants the room for the whole week, you could have taken their booking and let us know that we would have to move...

Anyways, that's when we decided not to stay at all and leave immediately. We asked if Justin could call us a taxi, which offcourse he didn't. He turned around, didn't come back and left us there with our belongings and little baby boy to figure it all out by ourselves.

Good luck that the Balinese people are really lovely!! A local women stopped while we were waiting in the hot sun on the corner, called her husband and ten minutes later we were in his car heading for a new guesthouse:
>> Mote Surfstay
Really nice owner and staff with simple, but nice, clean and affordable rooms!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
JustinRBoyd, Manager at Voyager Boutique Creative Retreat, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
This review is a result of guests trying to blackmail us into unreasonable rates and terms not in line with our hotel policy or those listed on our online booking channels. In fact the guest was trying to circumvent the special offer advertised online and go for cheaper rates, which is not possible.

We at Voyager will not tolerate threats, and urge you to decide for yourself the legitimacy of this review. As you can see its the first of its kind, and we never imagined that the guest would go through with it.

We have contacted TripAdvisor but they do not seem to think this this is a false review, so will not remove it, even though they have a zero tolerance policy towards this kind of thing.

Prospective guests, if you see a tempting special offer for Voyager online, please take advantage of it. We will not be in a position to better it, especially when the introduction has been made with our online channels.

Many thanks

Don & Justin
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

I stayed at the Voyager thanks to a friend and was really happy that I did. The Voyager is a kooky six bedroom bed and breakfast retreat that aims to attract people working in creative industries. However, for anyone in need of a soul replenishing stay in Bali to get away from corporate life, this is the perfect place to come and stay to connect with your creative side. This is also a wonderful place to come and stay if you're single and want to connect with a community of people whether with others staying at the Voyager or down at the beachside. Don and Justin run the place and are an incredibly charming, welcoming and hospitable couple. They made me feel very much at home and invited me to share dinner with them on a number of evenings and I was even invited to do some voice recordings for their band!!

There are only six rooms at the Voyager which helps to add to the intimate feel of the place. Four of the rooms are set around a central swanky pool with a dining area towards the back and a recording studio set towards the back of the property (yes you read that correctly!) The architecture of the place is a little eccentric in that it combines traditional Balinese style with contemporary. The rooms themselves are Balinese huts but they are composed of glass that act as mirrors from the outside during the day.

I stayed in the Rinjani room, which has to be the best room in the whole place. A picture of Ursula Andress hangs above the bed and a toy aeroplane was placed on the bedside table. There is an amazing outdoor shower and a plush jacuzzi in the outdoor garden which makes you feel like you're in another world, maybe somewhere deep in a tropical jungle. My room also came with a television onto which a number of classic movies were uploaded, and which were the perfect way to spend the nights I chose to stay in.

Breakfast at the Voyager consisted of unlimited smooth Balinese coffee and fresh tropical fruit with yoghurt, eggs on toast or yummy pancakes every morning. In addition, Don and Justin organized a number of communal meals including a delicious Christmas Eve dinner which was a lovely occasion for my high school friends and I to reunite and celebrate Christmas together. The Christmas meal consisted of a fresh fragrant herbal salad, roast potatoes, barbecued ribs and chicken and mince meat pies with brandy butter and ice cream together with chocolate nuts and champagne. We also each received Christmas crackers with quotes and small gifts inside together with hats to wear over Christmas dinner. Due to the change in rhythm from round the clock working hours in my everyday life to downtime, I unfortunately passed out after the dinner. Don and Justin were very sweet and caring about the whole episode and I was (embarrassingly) carried into my room and left to rest.

A few days later, Don and Justin organized a Balinese dinner for the guests at the Voyager. This must be the best and freshest Balinese food. There were meat skewers, chicken and grain mix with very fragrant herbs, and a delicious sweet bean desert. This was definitely one of the nicest meals I had in Bali.

The Voyager is situated a stone’s throw away from Echo Beach and situated among beautiful Balinese rice paddies which is perfect if you’re looking to come and surf in Bali. However, you may want to bear in mind that the easiest way to get around is on a moped so you may wish to consider if you feel comfortable with this. Don and Justin arranged a moped hire for a reasonable sum although I did end up walking to the beach quite a bit as I was a little nervous being a novice with mopeds.

If you’re single (and creative!) and looking to go to meet other likeminded travellers, the Voyager is the perfect place to stay!! Thank you to Don and Justin for making me feel so welcome and looking after me!! This was one of my most memorable and pleasant holidays I have had in a long time!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
JustinRBoyd, Owner at Voyager Boutique Creative Retreat, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Wow Natascha, thank-you for a wonderful review and we are so happy that we at the Voyager made you feel welcome, relaxed and right at home in tropical Bali bliss. We can't wait to have you back in the future! (btw - the track is coming along nicely, and yes, your vocal is on it! - will send you a copy when it's done). Kindest Regards, Justin & Don
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

We stayed here in Mid december, and stayed here only 1 night, as this was the end of our trip. The people who run this small boutique hotel are really friendly and make you feel welcome at his place.Love the design/style of the hotel and the rooms. Great to have an outdoor shower and spa, unfortunately it was raining for the whole time we were there so we couldn't use it. Would live to try it another time. Breakfast was good, nothing special, but nothing wrong with it either.
Cool that the tv has movies preloaded on them already, but when you have the bad luck to have awful weather like we did, it would have been even better if there would be tv receptions as well.
I would recommend staying in this hotel but hiring a motorbike is a must as there is nothing really nearby. This can easily be arranged with the guys though. All in all had a good time and next time I might spend more than just one night there.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
JustinRBoyd, Owner at Voyager Boutique Creative Retreat, responded to this review, January 24, 2014
Glad to hear you enjoyed your stay! We agree, next time you must stay a bit longer so that you can experience the wonderful spa bath, and also try some of the other breakfast menu items, including Ida's Banana Pancakes (a hit with the guests) or a sumptuous tropical fruit salad. Looking forward to welcoming you back, Justin & Don
Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

To all the folks out there with a creative bone, DO IT. The Voyager is a lovely, safe, space to play. Within hours of landing and getting checked into a wonderful poolside villa, I was hammering away at my keyboard and churning out an entire extended outline for a fantasy trilogy. Don and Justin checked in to make sure I had everything I needed, and then left me in peace to work... it's an excellent mix of personalized hospitality and privacy. How could I not, in such an inspiring setting? The energy of this place is just really really positive. My hotel room opened out to the tantalizing blue pool outside, there was a 5-seater jacuzzi in the bathroom, it was all really quiet in the rice fields.. oodles of Balinese coffee within reach, and a Dias de los Muertos skull looking over my shoulder from a corner.. the internet connection is called Salvador Bali!!! It was so easy to unleash the kraken!

Don and Justin went beyond expectations and really anticipated my every need, even though they were clearly working on projects --- these guys can really multitask. They knew that I was in Bali to meet up with some of my classmates in town, and totally went the extra mile to make sure that I had an excellent reunion with my high school classmates in their Voyager Cafe. They prepared a pre-Xmas bbq spontaneously, which felt really amazing, as we were all celebrating Xmas far from home. We felt a bit like spoiled Greek goddesses having Don's special minced pie, lovely chicken bbq with garlic butter, roasted meat and veges, champagne and... surprise gifts inside our Xmas crackers!!! Not to mention the music. Ahh, the Xmas jingles from old classic movies took me back to good old days ice skating near the Rockefeller Center. Like i said before, the atmosphere here is just really inspiring. And what you get from staying here, obviously, is the personal attention of the owner-operators, who clearly understand what it is to just want to decompress and have a real vacation.

The location of the Voyager itself is definitely something to highlight. It is the first stop on Jalan Nelayan once your cab driver gets past these lush green ricefields in Canggu. And then a stone's throw from the most happening joint in town, Deus Ex Machine (cafe-cum-surfspot-cum-motorcycle shop) --- I think everyone who stays around Canggu congregates here most nights. It's also an easy walking distance to Echo Beach and Tugu Temple Beach, with both green waves and white waves for the avid surfer, and lots of great places to eat and watch the sunset.

If you want to see more than Canggu, the Voyager offers tours that makes life easy. I went on the Bukit tour to Uluwatu, and within half a day, saw beautiful cliffside beaches upclose and from great viewpoints... Blue Point Beach, Balangan, and Ungasan. The driver, Made, is knowledgeable of local cultures and good spots and very reliable. I rented a moto for 4 days but ended up being too chicken to use them, so I relied on him instead! I saw that they have whole directories full of options re: tour packages, spa packages, etc at the reception you can check out.

Oh and the delicious pool. OK, I'm going to spend a paragraph ranting and raving about the pool because it totally deserves attention. It's really well planned, with a small waterfall on one side, ample room to suntan on all corners, and shallow enough to lounge in if you just want to read. Surrounded by tall palm trees and lots of sunchairs... I ended up swimming in both rain and sun, morning and night. Take advantage of this little piece of heaven when you stay there. It's so relaxing and totally worth it!!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Hi Bee-Lee, what a delight to read your review - and we're ecstatic to read that you had such a wonderful time. We can't wait to buy a set of your upcoming trilogy, from what we've heard so far it sounds more than intriguing, and to welcome you back to the Voyager on your next trip to Bali. All the best, Justin & Don

Been to Voyager Boutique Creative Retreat? Share your experiences!