“A great place to get away and relax” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Bliss Sanctuary for Women

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Canggu
Bliss Sanctuary for Women
You added Bliss Sanctuary for Women to your Saves list
Berawa, Canggu, Bali 80361, Indonesia   |
Ranked #3 of 129 Specialty Lodging in Canggu
Edmonton, Canada
“A great place to get away and relax”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

I was skeptical when a friend asked to book this hotel/trip for her 40 birthday getaway. It came accross like a place for lesbian lovers to hide away, and we are nothing of the sort. We had a great 10 days in Bliss. We planned excursions out (diving, cooking class, shopping) and away from Canguu, so we were not just locked behind the walls for 10 days. The villa is clean, spacious, and beautifully landscaped but right on a road so there is road noise 24/7 and earplugs were needed to sleep at night. The beds are comfortable, the mosquito nets over the beds make you feel like you are staying in a harim! The carved wood door surrounds are incredible, but does let in the heat so the AC is not terribly efficent but it does the job. There are not enough hooks in the bath/bedroom to hand up your stuff to dry. There is no enclosed, airconditioned space where you can work out/treadmill so I had to get up before sunrise to run every day as after sunrise the heat was too unsafe to be exercising. The food was wonderful and boasted a sufficient menu to offer lots of choice, including gluten-free. The personal driver was a great added touch, but I especially liked the selections of sarongs that were provided daily since many days I did nothing more than get up, put on a sarong and laze by the pool. I read more books and watched more movies in 10 days that I do in 10 months... literally!!! And the 90 minute massage every day was absolutely heavenly! Canguu is a little out of the way and it is a 15 min ride into Seminyak to find any nightlife, but the seclusion during the day is a welcome respite to the professional/busy woman. I would highly recommend this property and would definately choose to stay there again if I plan a trip back to Bali.
Marni Wesner
Edmonton, AB, CANADA

Room Tip: the rooms are all the same, but the villa is behind walls and the road is right outside the villa so...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
ZoeWatson, Owner at Bliss Sanctuary for Women, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Dear Marni,

Thankyou so much for your very thorough review, I just wanted to respond to a couple of things here.

Firstly, I had to laugh out loud when I read your lesbian lovers comment!
We make it very clear on the website that there are no couples and no kids which straight away shies away from any Lesbian lover action! We accept all women who are coming as women, for a holiday not based around sexuality but each individual finding their own bliss which is generally R&R and the magic of taking time out for oneself. We are also specifically designed for women traveling on their own in a safe and nurturing environment and also accept friends traveling together and we can also provide for groups of up to 8 women. Even where friends or groups are traveling together we offer a unique experience for every individual as our own individual needs tend to differ from the person we are traveling with. It is our unique offering to tailor each guests experience to their own needs with no schedules and a unique and personal itinerary including as little or as many activities as you like.

Also in regards to the noise when I read this I wondered what had changed so much as noise at night is rarely a problem. Then I remembered you traveled over Xmas and New Years which is a holiday season for all Indonesians despite religion and as such there is a lot more noise on the streets as there are everywhere around the world at this time of year, especially holiday destinations and especially Bali in general.

Bali is a unique place which is very loud yet peaceful, and being nestled amongst rice paddies in a farming community only a stones throw from the beach gives us a lovely balance of seclusion with a little local noise from around the farming community. We are away from the hustle & bustle, yet close enough to enjoy the main shopping precinct in Seminyak with great restaurants and some higher class night life with a personal driver to take you there and bring you back to the villa without too much time spent on the road. We are a long way from the craziness of Kuta!

Thanks again for choosing Bliss, Kari loved having you and it was great to know you got some relaxation in and found your bliss in Beautiful Bali.

We hope to have you back again at a Bliss Sanctuary For Women around the world when you need some time out in the future, perhaps on your own next time?

Bliss Wishes, Zoe :)

Couples
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

Loved my stay at Bliss! It was a perfect getaway for me traveling on my lonesome. All the staff were so beautiful... 1 week later at home I am missing their smiles and friendship. Having Bagus as our driver was a blessing. He told us personal stories along the way and shared things that made my trip so much more interesting. He was our security and magical driver! Kadek and Nini are THE best cooks.... majorly craving the banana pancakes and Nasi Goreng and warm smiles! Wayan and Vera ...aaahhhh magical hands. On my first day I had a massage that was the best I have EVER had in my life, Plus they give the best hugs! . And Comang was always there to make Bliss feel like home for us all. I left after 7 days of feeling so spoilt and looked after. Kari was a beautiful Hostess and we had so many amazing conversations. She organised anything I needed and made me feel safe and relaxed about it all.The other guest and I clicked so easily and I feel blessed to have made new friends from around the world. The only downer was not meeting Zoe. Would have loved to have finally met her after 6 months of emails! Highly recommend Bliss to solo travelers.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Mooloolaba, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

We found Bliss purely by chance as we were looking for a Yoga in Bali. I must say the personal attention you receive at Bliss is like nothing else. Nini and Kadek in the kitchen cooked up some amazing meals with the minimal of fuss, I loved sharing meal time with the other guests as it is so good to listen to other peoples stories and lives. Kari as the hostess did everything possible to make our stay so enjoyable I must say she is a great asset to Bliss. Wayan and Vera our massage girls, Wayan had a great sense of humour and made me laugh daily. During our stay Vera suffered a loss in her family but she still turned up with a big smile on her face, coming to work made her happy. The gardens were amazing thanks to Koman who looked after them daily. Bagus was our driver and a total wealth of knowledge and nothing was to difficult for him. Desa Seni the yoga sudio was just up the road we opted to ride the push bikes that was a little bit of fun. Being a surfer I got to surf one of the best breaks in Bali just down the road. Thanks Bliss for a great holiday.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

My sister and I recently spent a week relaxing at Bliss. When we first arrived at the airport we were greeted by our friendly driver Bagus who had a bottles of cold water in hand, which were greatly appreciated because I forgot how hot Bali can be, even in the evening. From the moment that we arrived at Bliss and were greeted by our wonderful hostess, Kari, we totally looked after to the highest level. Kari ensured that our every need was catered for, and our days were spent in total relaxation. The staff really are what makes Bliss such a special place to visit. Nini and Kadek cook up the most delicious food; we spent a good portion of our trip in a food coma! The girls very sweet and even bought me Mangosteens when I mentioned that they were a fruit that I particularly loved. Koman looks after the gardens, and you can see the hard work that goes into keeping them looking perfect. Wayan and Vera came in every day to give us massages and various treatments; they were always a highlight of my day. The girls were kind enough to help me with my Indonesian whilst I was getting a pedi/mani. Bagus is the wonderful driver, who will take you wherever you need, and knows where all the best shopping spots are. He is a great guide and a great source of information. You can see how much the staff like working there. I would recommend Bliss to anyone who wants a solo trip or a trip with a special female in your life. You will be completely looked after, and will feel fresh and rejuvenated at the end of your stay. I would like to thank everyone at Bliss for giving my sister and I such a special holiday, one that we will never forget. Terima kasih banyak untuk semua staf di Bliss!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

I wanted to plan a fuss-free trip with my daughter, Dew, who was returning to Singapore from her first-year uni studies in Brisbane. I chanced upon Bliss Sanctuary from reading a book I picked up from the book store, "Adventures of 2 Girls" by Ning Cai and Pamela Ho. They had landed at Bliss Sanctuary as their last destination after a 9-month long road trip across different parts of the world and described a really blissful time at Bliss.

Bliss! That was what I wanted.

It didn't take me long to email Zoe and it was surreal to make contact and finally arrive at a destination described in a book.

We were not disappointed and the staff was exactly as the other reviewers had described; warm, friendly, gracious, gentle and caring. They were also full of affectionate humour.

Special thanks also to Kari, our Bliss hostess, who was so new to the job, yet made every effort to make us feel welcome and took care of our every need without being intrusive. She makes the effort to connect with all guests, yet respectful of people's need for privacy. A truly special person!

Needless to say, Dew and I were well-rested by the time we left. It was Dew's first time in Bali and definitely a very memorable experience. The masseuses, Wayan and Vera, were fantastic! It truly was a luxury to select from an array of different kinds of treatment each day and to enjoy such pampering.

Bagus, the driver, is professional, yet friendly. His easy-going demeanour and smile endeared him to us!

Nini and Kadek, the cooks, are just lovely, catering their culinary skills to whatever we wanted from the menu. Most memorable were the BANANA PANCAKES! I had them everyday!

Komang, the security/gardener, took great care of the place. Excellently clean and a well-kept garden. And he did a magnificent bbq seafood dinner for us the first night we were there!

I would definitely recommend this place for :
1. Solo traveller - great place to be alone, relax and reflect
2. Mother and daughter - fab time!
3. Girlfriends (2 or more, guaranteed for a great time!)

Room Tip: I had the room next to the Bliss hostess room. It was good. Spacious and comfortable.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

Bliss sanctuary runs expertly under the co-ordination of Bliss hostess Kari.
All of the lovely team here work extremely hard to ensure a seamless, stress free totally relaxing experience.
High praise to all involved, loved my room and the gorgeous surroundings, all carefully considered and integrated to facilitate an escape from the outside world.
Every woman could plan a treat like this on a yearly basis- the benefits are enormous.
Karen Grant. Sydney Australia.

Room Tip: All rooms equally peaceful and gorgeous.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

I was looking for some time out from what had been a hectic year and wanted to travel alone. I had been considering staying at a retreat somewhere in Australia when it was suggested to me that I should check out Bliss Sanctuary in Canggu, Bali.

Bliss was exactly what the doctor ordered. It is in a peaceful spot no too far from Seminyak but far enough away that it doesn't feel like tourist central. The most fantastic yoga studio/retreat is only 5 minutes in one direction and the beach only a few minutes in the other direction.

The hostess Louise was vivaceous, warm and friendly and only too happy to do anything to make sure my stay at Bliss met my needs- whether that be time alone to read quietly; a massage; a bike trip to yoga; a day outing to Ubud or something to eat.

The settling is lovely and Bliss only accommodates up to about 6 women at a time which means it doesn't feel like a hotel and there is plenty of space to do your own thing. At the same time, there are always other guests and staff to chat to if you feel like it.

Bliss is definitely worth considering if you need some time out and like the idea of having a holiday that is tailored to your needs. If you want to laze by the pool and read, you can. If you want to have a day trip to Ubud, it will be organised. If you fancy a massage at a particualar time either in your room our out overlooking the pool, it shall be done.

One of the true gems of Bliss is the wonderful staff. Except for Zoe and our excellent hostess Louise, all of the staff were locals and were so warm and open and willing to do anything to make my stay enjoyable.

If you are after some quiet time out, an opportunity to recharge or fancy heading away with a couple of girlfriends for some 'girlie time', Zoe and her team have the perfect solution - Bliss Sanctuary.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Been to Bliss Sanctuary for Women? Share your experiences!