“Amazing retreat- even for a non-surfer!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Chillhouse - Bali Surf and Bike Retreats

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Canggu
The Chillhouse - Bali Surf and Bike Retreats
You added The Chillhouse - Bali Surf and Bike Retreats to your Saves list
Jl. Kubu Manyar 22, Canggu, Bali 80361, Indonesia   |
Special Deal
YOGA SHALA OPEN NOW
Ranked #14 of 56 Canggu B&B and Inns
Osaka, Japan
“Amazing retreat- even for a non-surfer!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

My friend and I stayed at the Chillhouse for four nights over the New Year and we could not have been happier with our stay. On planning out trip to Bali my friend really wanted to learn how to surf and I really just wanted to chill out. I did a bit of research and found the Chillhouse and thought it sounded like the perfect place for us. And it was!

From check-in to check-out the staff was extremely friendly, warm, and helpful in every possible way. They were ever ready to help with anything and everything we needed from booking transport and tours to helping us find a fun spot to spend the new year.

We stayed in the ChillaVilla, a short walk from the main house. Our room was very spacious and had two twin beds and a day bed(which helped GREATLY when packing). The patio was great for lounging and reading a book. One of my favorite parts of the house was the beautiful outdoor bathroom.

The amenities at the main Chillhouse complex were great. The have two pools on the grounds, both with great places to layout and relax. The bar was very inviting and was always ready to remind us that it was Bintang time! The yoga shala was also a great place to take in a yoga class. Yoga is definitely much better when practiced in an open shala with a view of a Balinese neighborhood as opposed to a cramped city studio! The communal dining room was also great. The meals were delicious and varied- we never ate the same thing twice. And the communal dining setting made it really easy to meet fellow guests.

Speaking of the guests, they may have been my favorite part of staying at the Chillhouse. I met such a varied group of amazing people. It was sad to leave the Chillhouse but when we did, we came away with the best souvenirs ever- new friends from around the world!

Room Tip: The Chilla Villa was a decent place to stay but being in the main complex would've been much mor...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Alex S, Owner at The Chillhouse - Bali Surf and Bike Retreats, responded to this review, January 20, 2013
Thank you for your great review, I am stoked that you had a great Bintang time!

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Amazing place, the most polite and helful staff who learn your name, fantastic food, lovely clean and well kept rooms and awesome outdoor bathrooms, and great surf lessons and massages. Would definitely go back and would recommend to any one.

Room Tip: All rooms appear to be excellent. The Chillavilla has shared bathrooms but not really a problem as...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Alex S, Owner at The Chillhouse - Bali Surf and Bike Retreats, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Thanks for the great review, i am happy that we could make your stay a great one and i will certainly pass on the good words to our team!
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

Had my best vacation ever at The Chillhouse in late 2009 . Stayed at the Chillhouse for 4 weeks and enjoyed every second of it. The atmosphere is the best, very welcoming (thanks Putu!), friendly staff, awesome food and incredible surf coaching with mostly one to one teaching or two students per surf guide. As a beginner, surfing all the great spots nearby, this gave me a very close follow up and made my surfing skills grow fast.

Had some great day trips surfing on the north-western side of Bali, and a few boat trips over to Lembongan for surfing. I'm really looking forward to go back this spring. I will warmly recommend this great retreat to everyone wanting a relaxing surfing holiday including great food and friendly people.

Room Tip: Gery Lopez treetoploft. Its possible to sleep outside on the third floor where you can have a break...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Alex S, Owner at The Chillhouse - Bali Surf and Bike Retreats, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Thanks for the awesome review!
Yeah, Norten, that's the way to go, sleep on the 3rd floor of the Gerry Lopez Treetop Loft yewww!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

I booked for a week in November and ended up staying an extra 3 days as I enjoyed it so much. As a total beginner surfer I was very impressed with the surf coaching from how the daily surfing is organised to my surf coach ( we were all 1:1 the week I was there) who was very attentive but also encouraged/pushed me in the water to keep going to get the best out of each session.

The Chillhouse itself is a perfect set up for relaxing after surfing with great massages and 2 lovely pool areas. I loved the long brunches and in general found the food excellent (the best dinners were the Friday BBQ and the buffets with wonderful fresh salads, fish etc). The communal dining really encourages guests to interact and I made some great friends whilst I was there.

The staff are excellent and clearly well trained, on the first day they all seem to know your name which lends a very personal touch to any interaction with them, plus they are so very friendly and helpful.

Only drawback was the very intermittent wifi and I stayed in the Chilla villa which is good value but no way near as nice as the main Chillhouse.

I will be back very soon!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Thanks for the awesome review!
I am so happy that The Chillhouse Team could make your holiday so memorable and that you'll be back!
yew!
Cape Town Central, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

The Chillhouse is relaxed and an awesome spot to stay. The surf coaching is one on one and the guides are really great.. I enjoyed the atmosphere and the food is fabulous. Everyone eats together so as a solo traveller it is really great to socialise. I would definitely go back there! The Massage Prices are a little high, but if you can afford it the masseuse are really good.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Alex S, Owner at The Chillhouse - Bali Surf and Bike Retreats, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Hi Megan!
Thanks heaps for that great review!
I trained the massage therapists myself, so a lot of energy from my side is in the massages we offer. If you compare the price of one massage at The Chillhouse for EUR 15,- with the standard back home (EUR 55,- or around US$ 60 in the States), i think it not that overprized! But you are right, one can get a regular Balinese massage at the beach for way less - one can also call that an "oiling" ...
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

The ambiance can't be beat -- staff is friendly and helpful, very family atmosphere. Not a formal hotel experience but more like a camp -- the guides are truly looking for the best local breaks for the surfers and the anxiety is all from whether or not there are waves available. the lack of formal service lowers the tipping anxiety during the stay and creates a more egalitarian mood. the newer cabins are top end with air conditioning, tv and wifi so not as rustic as a typical surf camp although its in a real country setting -- chickens scratching in the dirt road in front with rice out to be threshed further down the lane which is what sold me on the place. Nice change from overbuilt and flash tourist hotels and condos further south in the island.

Room Tip: If you're older and able to afford it, take a cabin for 2, the bunk rooms are for youngsters and...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Alex S, Owner at The Chillhouse - Bali Surf and Bike Retreats, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Thanks David for your awesome review! Yeah, it's those little Balinese specialties like chicken and rice on the street that make you realize that you are , well, on Bali! See you again, ride on, Alex
Bondi, New South Wales, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

My son (10 years old) and I stay for 1 weeks surfing retreat. We had a fantastic time. The accommodation was really comfortable and clean. The food was excellent and very generous. The staff absolutely fantastic. The facilities were really good. Surfing was great - really good instructors. Overall I could not recommend it highly enough. We are going again next year.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Yew Michelle I am so happy that you had an incredible time with your son! See yous next year!

Been to The Chillhouse - Bali Surf and Bike Retreats? Share your experiences!