“Avoidable.. Bad service, can spoil your holiday mood... Many options around” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Jeevan Beach Resort

You added Jeevan Beach Resort to your Saves list
Jeevan Beach Resort
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Hawah Beach (Lighthouse Beach) | Kovalam, Kovalam 695521, India (Formerly Hotel Jeevan House)   |
Ranked #24 of 48 Hotels in Kovalam
Gurgaon, India
“Avoidable.. Bad service, can spoil your holiday mood... Many options around”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2014

Visited Kovalam and stayed at this hotel for 3 nights at their supposedly best room called 'pearl sea view with terrace'... On entering the room, realized that the room is not used much... No TV, bathroom in dirty conditions, junkyard right in front of the room... This after paying pretty steep amount per night ! The adjacent room in the same category looked in better shape relatively and was being vacated ... Called the manager to check if we could shift there... The manager told we were originally booked in that room but was given the other room as we wanted to check in a bit early... He promised that we will be shifted to that room as soon as the room is cleaned up.... After an hour later i realized that a Russian family has moved in... On checking again he said sorry that family will stay longer and hence given that room.. He then offered me another room which is cheaper and doesn't have any terrace etc.. Well, do i call it cheating and being unethical on their part? Absolutely.... Well, what did i know... That was just the beginning of our bad experiences in that hotel... Service was extremely poor... Food was bad too.... The only good thing about the hotel is its location... However, there are many other hotels in that lighthouse beach stretch... As every bit of experience in that hotel was mood spoiling, we pretty much spent as much of time on the beach or in other restaurants around that place as we could... So much for booking the best room with sea view and terrace to have a relaxing holiday experience... My recommendation: this hotel is absolutely avoidable. There are many other options and based on my feedback from other guests those seemed far better.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

On the plus side, the location of the hotel is excellent and I enjoyed chatting to some of the staff who were very friendly and helped arrange a trip to Kanyakumari. My driver for the trip to Kanyakumari was also a pleasure to deal with.

However, the rest of my stay was awful:
1. Despite arranging in advance, no driver was sent to pick me up at the airport. When it became obvious that nobody was there to meet me, I had to call reception to clarify the position and I was asked to get a prepaid cab from the airport. I found this pre paid taxi trip terrifying as the driver of this cab was not capable of undertaking the task properly
2. When I did arrive I was told my room would be 'ready in 10 minutes'. I was shown to my room more than 1 hour later.
3. Despite clarifying in advance, the wifi in my room was almost non existent and kept cutting out. I had to go elsewhere and pay for reasonable signal.
4. On arrival in my room, it was obvious that the toilet seat was not attached as it came off in my hand. The water pressure from the shower and tap was also intermittent at best.
5. Amazingly my room was not serviced on the Sunday despite me being out for the entire day.
6. The breakfast provided was covered in flies and was what I consider to be inedible.
7. Despite arranging the price of a taxi back to the airport in advance, the hotel tried to charge me extra on the day.

I was very much looking forward to my first trip to Kovalam but the disappointment of my accommodation has soured my whole trip to India. I do not feel in anyway that I received the 'best services' I was assured of in the email correspondence I had with the hotel in advance.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Canmore, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

We ended up staying here longer than we expected, due some illness. Staff are very friendly. Pool is poorly kept and dirty most of the time, due to no rules about people wearing dirty clothes in the pool. Room service, when really needed was marginal, food below average. Location is great. Rooms clean, at least ours was. Can be noisy from the pool, due to where it is located.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

We checked into the hotel for a 3 night stay and were greeted by very friendly reception staff... And that is where the niceness ended. Breakfasts were cold and they could not provide toast! Aircon on the other hand was not cold. Towels were dirty as were the rooms and it took 12 hours to give us fresh towels when asked several time. The swimming pool is dangerous (missing tiles and no cover on the water filters) and they decided to pile up the sun loungers so they were not useable while they painting.There was some work going in during our stay, which is fine and would not bother us had they not been drilling and hammering until 2am. Phone calls to reception did nothing to stop this and made no apology for keeping us awake until I walked out and shouted at the workers. Will not be coming back.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

I stayed here with my family for 2 nights and encountered multiple issues throughout our stay. I do want to point out the friendly and helpful front desk staff and the boys who do the random bits around the hotel made it easier for us to stay here. We were always greated by smiles even when we had complaints/suggestions.
Firstly i wasn't aware that you have to walk 10mins from where the taxi drops you off to get to the resort, this wasn't ideal with a 4am arrival and with my grandad with us.The resort did send a boy to carry our luggage which was very helpful and we loved the beach front location of the resort.
On arrival, we quickly realised the lack of communication and management at this resort as the night receptionist was not made aware of arrangements that i had previously made with Abdul (General Manager) via email, we then had to wait 1/2hr to be shown to our rooms while our passports were scanned.
The rooms were very basic which is fine with us as long as they are clean, but the sheets were rough and stained and the pillows smelled dump and of smoke. Similarly the towels were stained, scruffy and were falling apart. There was no hot water during our entire stay (which wasn't pleasant when trying to wash off massage oil).
The A/C broke down down in one of the rooms on both nights which was annoying but i have to mention Danbar was very helpful and sent a boy to fix it straight away.
Breakfast was extremely basic and just about ediable with the flies and crows constantly making an appearance. The restaurant only had a few staff who struggled to bring clean glasses and dishes to keep up with the demand of thos wanting breakfast. The restuarant manager was very rude and unhelpful when we sat in the bar area because the breakfast area was fully utilised explaining to us we were not allowed to sit there.
Dinner here was nice but had i known it would take over an hour to be served i would have gone somewhere else, lucky for us they had a liquor licence which made the waiting easier.
The pool was kept clean and they offered beach towels if you asked for them, agian they need to be replaced.
I would only recommend this resort for the location.

Room Tip: Do not stay in the room on the ground floor right of reception it floods and is next to a generator.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
leeds, england
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

on arrival i had to ask for the loo to be disinfected(i wont explain),the rooms were not very clean.breakfast consisted of fruit juice hard boiled eggs bananas toast jam and coffee out of a machine which was already overly sugared,a jar of coffee was available and you can get hot water from the machine if you don`t want sugar, but no milk! a lady asked for some and was told no chance (those exact words) this was the same menu every morning.the view was stunning its a pity the breakfast was not up to standard unlike the downstairs restaurant which is open to the public which was run very efficiently and the food was delicious and the staff were excellent also it has an incredible view like most on the sea front.I would not recommend the hotel based on our visit but would eat at the restaurant .

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Carhaix-Plouguer, France
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

Whenever I review a hotel or attraction I always try to stay objective and offer other Tripadvisor members an honest opinion, highlighting both the good and the bad whilst offering feedback to management both positive and critical in the hope it will help to improve business for the owners and managers and improve the experience for guests. The Jeevan unfortunately falls into the category of ‘In need of improvement.’

The location of this hotel is perfect! It is in the centre of all the other hotels and bars right on Lighthouse Beach. BUT that is it’s only redeeming trait.

This place could, in the right ownership and under the right management, be the best hotel and restaurant for miles around and a veritable ‘gold mine’ for the owners. However at the moment it is being mismanaged badly and being left in disarray with what seems to me, a business improvement consultant, a lack of any investment on the upkeep or any business plan for future survival.

The rooms are not cleaned properly; they are old and a little shabby. The bedding needs replacing throughout. The utilities are in a poor state of repair with both of the toilets, in the two rooms we booked, leaking from the back. (See photos below). The door on one of the rooms would not open properly because it had warped and was ‘catching’ on the floor when attempting to open it. The bathroom had a foul odour about it at all times and was dark and had a simple shower head which poured directly onto the floor where the toilet and wash basin is situated. This causes the floor to always be wet and very slippery, making it dangerous when wanting the toilet during the night, particularly during one of the frequent power cuts. For the whole period of our stay there was no hot or even warm water. The in-room fridge never became cold and in one of the rooms did not work at all.

The in room air conditioning, (A/C) was ineffective and very noisy. There was no A/C in the corridors. The room cleaning service seems to be ‘On-Demand’ which entailed leaving a card on the outside door handle requesting cleaning etc. For our stay only one of the rooms was cleaned and bedding made up, the other room being ignored totally regardless of the card hanging on the door handle requesting room cleaning. Also a change of towels is again by request only which on a couple of occasions had to be asked for more than twice. The rooms do not have an in-room safe and the TV has a very limited selection of channels.

The hotel has a laundry service but this service is very poorly managed. We had to twice ask where our laundry was hours after it should have been returned. Eventually I went to reception to retrieve it because it was not being returned to the rooms. Upon checking it had all been returned we found that 5 undergarments were missing. When I broached this subject and reported the loss of clothing I was informed that the house keeping staff had left and there was nothing that could be done. We were leaving early the next day before the housekeeping staff returned.

The hotel has a decent size swimming pool which I noted was cleaned each morning we were there and the water looked clean even though there was a large area of missing tiles in the centre of the pool; but being so near to the beach we did not use it.

The restaurant has a very good selection of meals and drinks on the menu and we ate there on two evenings and were very pleased with the quality, taste and price of our meals. I actually had the chance to speak to one of the two chefs to compliment him on the food we ate both nights.

HOWEVER, the service is appallingly slow. We had to wait for an hour before our order was delivered to our table on the first night and an hour and a half on the second night. This slow service is obviously a case of cost cutting on staff because we saw only two waiters, (the young boys wearing the Jeevan Tea Shirt uniform), serving a full restaurant of two floors. The waiters themselves were very friendly, apologetic about the delays and were having to work extremely hard. This restaurant requires at least twice the waiting on staff that it presently has. This brings me to the restaurant managers. These seemed to consist of two gentlemen, one in rather scruffy trousers and a dirty shirt that each night seemed to be acting rather like someone who is inebriated, stumbling into customers chairs, shouting loudly at the two waiters and generally slowing down the service with his frankly quite frightening attitude towards the staff and some guests. If I had had children with me I would have left there and then. The other person I assume was a restaurant manager spent most of the two nights we ate there asleep at one of the dining tables snoring quite loudly and waking only to shout at someone in the kitchen and to berate the hard working waiters. It is my opinion that these managers were actually hampering the restaurant which needed more TRAINED waiting on staff.

Our package included the morning breakfast served on the top floor of the restaurant. Unfortunately even though the hotel states breakfast is from 07:30 we discovered no one there and certainly no food at 8:00 in the morning. We waited as they set up and then were treated to boiled eggs, warm bread instead of toast and an awful tasting coffee, all served on cracked and dirty plates and cups. Needless to say the next morning we had breakfast at the excellent and very popular coffee bar next door to the hotel.

I met many of the staff at the hotel including cleaning staff and front desk staff, ensuring I thanked them for their efforts and their obvious hard work. The whole hotel seems to be understaffed meaning that all the front of house staff appeared tired and overworked. The young chaps wearing the Jeevan Hotel uniform tea shirts and the front desk staff were always enthusiastic, willing to help and to chat as were the cleaning staff.

I believe the faults with this hotel can all be explained by the failure of management and the lack of involvement by anyone with the authority to assess the performance of staff, formulate and implement effective training programmes and action the repairs so desperately needed. This tired hotel could be so much more with the involvement of a good general manager and a few other new key members of staff and some real investment to improve maintain and update the facilities.

I would not recommend this hotel as it stands at the moment to anyone other than single people who are not too fussy about rooms, service etc. and just want to be right on the beach.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Jeevan Beach Resort? Share your experiences!