A beautifully relaxed and intimate hotel/ retreat, great service, facilities and vibe.
We visited for 4 days and wished we had stayed longer. Originally, we had reservations as we have an energetic 10 yr old and Niraamaya is very much aimed at couples wanting to get away from it all. But with the great pool (much bigger than it looks on the pictures), excellent food, gorgeous beaches down a flight of steps from the hotel and a constant supply of lime sodas/ soft drinks it worked well for all the family. And if you are looking for a bit more action, Kovalam is a short ride away. We always took an auto-rickshaw - both cheaper and more exciting than a taxi. The driver will even wait for you if you are only going for an hour or two e.g. for dinner (makes a nice change from hotel).
* rooms/ cottages - decked out in teak furniture, outside showers and beautiful / tasteful furnishings. Good quality beds and linen too.
* pool - bigger than it looks/ stunning views over the sea - a great place to watch the sun go down. Our son spent most of the day in there.
* food - delicious/tasty/ local dishes and not the rip off prices you often get in hotels (although expect to pay about 1/2 the price in Kovalam)
* food for kids - for kids who don't do fish curry etc there are chicken nuggets/ fish fingers - both of which are home made and excellent quality and good value
* staff - extremely friendly/ helpful, makes the whole experience a relaxing one and great with children too
* gym - small, but well equipped gym, where you can sweat off a few Kingfishers
* location - close enough to places like Kovalam so you don't feel trapped
* gardens/ paths - carefully maintained with cool statues of bulls/ Ganesh etc and stone bowls filled with water and beautiful petal patterns
* the views, the views, the views!
AREAS COULD BE BETTER
* sometimes the service was a bit sloppy e.g. forgetting drinks orders, but generally superb. When ordering food, always get them to read back what you have ordered!
* spa treatments are good, but a bit pricey
* lighting in our room was a bit gloomy - dimmers would be good and reading lights for beds
* menus are limited and I think you could get bored if staying for more than a few days or not going out
* wifi in the rooms is at best intermittent, generally had to go to reception if needed e.g. checking in for flights.
* we travelled with our son and therefore needed an extra bed in the room, which was already there and made up(better than most hotels), but didn't have a mossie net, whilst the main bed did. This was very quickly fixed, but a bit of forethought would have been nice. We also had to request extra outdoor chair, extra cups/ glasses for our son.
Overall a fantastic place for anyone looking to get away and wanting something with a bit more character than a large scale chain hotel.
- Also Known As:
- Surya Samudra Private Retreats Hotel Kovalam
- Surya Samudra Private Retreats Hotel
- Surya Samudra Beach Garden Hotel
- Surya Samudra Beach Garden Spa
- Niraamaya Retreats Kovalam, Kerala
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Now re-opened under a new management as Surya Samudra Private Retreats. Luxury heritage beach resort. Adjoining two pristine, unspoilt beaches and completely secluded from the busy tourist areas of Kovalam. Enjoy complete privacy and serenity. Stay in a carefully restored traditional Kerala tharavadu dwelling. At our Spa Niraamaya, highly trained therapists pamper you with herbs, oils, and concoctions that relax your body, revitalise your mind, and renew your spirit. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, TravelClick, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Agoda, Travelocity, Otel and Tingo so you can book your Niraamaya Retreats reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.