“Good Property, untrained staff” 2 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
The Leela Moments
Ranked #7 of 48 Hotels in Kovalam
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Good Property, untrained staff”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed today NEW

The property is a good one and has a great relaxing feel to it. The rooms are a bit smaller than expected but well appointed and the ocean view rooms offer a great view.

The hotel offers all facilities expected of a five star except for the service bit where they need to train their staff, and when I say train, I mean train a lot.

The issue with the staff:

On a pleasant Morning, I went for the buffet breakfast I had asked for toasted bread which I received promptly after 10 minute wait and eating my egg.
Midway one of my friends, who was also staying at this place joined me, and as luck would have it, he too wanted egg and toast to go with it.

I, out of courtesy ordered on his behalf. After waiting for 15 mins I reminded the waiting staff of the missing order. To my utter shock and surprise, I was answered that "Sir, we have already served you the bread some time back"

I protested on this indignation and rationing of breakfast to which no one in the buffet area paid heed. Thankfully we were any ways checking out else it would have been a bigger mess.

Decision taken: Never Leela again, atleast in Kovalam.

Room Tip: Choose Ocean view rooms in case you decide to stay at this place. Offer a better view, will help you...
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (520)
Brighton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Attempted to eat in the restaurant and view the hotel for a return trip to Kovalam and was aggressively informed by the guard at the gate that it was guests only, which I know not to be the case.

When I tried to discuss this with him, he ignored me, despite my group all being smartly dressed and polite.

I had very nearly booked to stay at the Leela but the room I wanted was fully booked. I'm glad I didn't part with what would have been nearly £2000 for two rooms for 4 nights if that is how is how they treat people.

• Stayed December 2014
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

The location & property is amazing...however the service is nowhere near Five Star standards...the restaurant Terraces has only one proper infant chair...surprising...they have a lot to learn in terms of service levels from the TAJ...the private beach is sad & black from diesel fumes from the boats....the Taj Sky bar has an amazing sunset view....

Stayed December 2014
Mumbai
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Location wise Leela is better, however, activity wise taj vivanta is much better. Taj has private beach, golf area, artificial lake setup which is missing in leela. Ambience was nice. Rooms were decent. Bathtub was missing. service was not that great. Food was decent. WIFI WAS MISSING. Priced high with less amenities, I would rather choose taj vivanta.
Pros and cons as compared to taj vivanta:
Pros: Awesome location, Good view, Good rooms, better swimming pool
Cons: No private beach, Less activities, less no. of veg food, NO FREE WIFI, average service

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We'd just had 3 days in the Kumarakom Lake Resort so anything afterwards was going to struggle to compete.
Having said that, the Leela is generally a good hotel but it's looking a little tired in places. The pool was good and the main restaurant was fine. Service could be a bit haphazard as some of the waiters were excellent but they were let down by one or two who were less than efficient.
Most of the rooms have a sea view and they're quite spacious, although a little gloomy with all of the dark wood. I think the garden view rooms are at ground level and much further from the hotel and down near the beach. I'm glad we didn't book one of those as my wife said she wouldn't have felt as safe in one.

Room Tip: We had a standard beach/ocean view room which was fine. Unless you're bothered about having butl...
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
NC_Somaiah, General Manager at The Leela Kovalam Beach, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Dear Guest,

It was indeed a privilege to have you at The Leela Kovalam. Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on your recent stay with us.

We have noted your comments regarding waiters . We have already instructed our Training Manager to conduct extensive training classes to develop skills so that service staff can respond to all guest requests. Your suggestions are the road to our success and we value them indeed.

We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you again and regain your confidence in us.

Warm regards,

Chalfont St. Giles, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Having spent two weeks exploring Rajahsthan which was tiring it was delightful to come for peace and quiet in Kovalam. Wonderful welcome by the staff (including Duty Manager Sam) and easy check in to lovely room (2309). The room overlooks the Arabian Sea and is wonderfully peaceful, well-appointed and spacious. The beach is attractive with attentive staff, Krishnan was excellent. A lovely hotel and we spent an excellent week in comfort - Reshma the front desk manager always wanted to ensure we were happy. My wife loved the Spa too

Room Tip: Most rooms overlook the ocean. Although 2309 was near the elevators there were no problems with noi...
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
NC_Somaiah, General Manager at The Leela Kovalam Beach, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind words.

It is always encouraging for us to learn that our guests are satisfied with our service and facilities as it is what we strive for every day. Your positive comments are a great motivation for the team and your compliments will be passed on to Sam, Reshma and Krishnan.

We look forward to the pleasure of hosting you again.

Warm Regards,

Bengaluru (Bangalore), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I am quite surprised at the no 7 position of this property in the Kovalam tripadvisor rankings. The club room we were given had a stunning view with all basic amenities and contrary to most hotels today it was comfortable. The food was great and we had the best breakfast in the pool side overlooking the sea. My baby got a comfy highchair and full attention of the staff. The views from the hotel are unmatchable, what an awesome sunset.
The best thing about the hotel hands down was the service. They gave us a room for 2 hours because we had a late flight back. And everything I wanted was provided with a smile. The bag with the laptop had a note put on it mentioning the same. The housekeeping came early in the day without being called (this is quite irregular in most hotels today), all in all a grand stay.

Room Tip: Club rooms have a great view.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time out to write about your wonderful experience at The Leela Kovalam.

I'm glad that we succeeded in creating a memorable stay experience for you and am delighted by your kind acknowledgement of the same. Your positive comments are a great motivation for the team and I am sure that a lot of travelers will benefit from your review.

We value your patronage and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Warm regards,

N.C. Somaiah

Been to The Leela Kovalam Beach? Share your experiences!