“Beautiful Home and EXCELLENT Food!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Vedic Heritage Boutique Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kovalam
Vedic Heritage Boutique Hotel
You added Vedic Heritage Boutique Hotel to your Saves list
Kovalam Lighthouse Beach | Lighthouse Rd, Kovalam 695521, India   |
Ranked #5 of 66 Kovalam B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
San Francisco, California
“Beautiful Home and EXCELLENT Food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Vedic Heritage House is a beautiful old home, with elegant wood verandas and simple, but comfortable rooms. We were just starting our trip, so it's possible we didn't appreciate the comfort of Vedic as much as we would now, but it was a wonderful stay. The owner, Charles (an Indian), splits his time between Kovalam and Europe and runs a great business. The basic rooms have a large, comfortable bed (or 2 twin, if you prefer) with a fitted mosquito net, ornate wooden furniture, and attached bathrooms of reasonable cleanliness. Both Charles and Muthu, the host/concierge, have studied ayurveda, so Vedic offers absolutely delicious, clean, healthy food. Looking back, it has been some of the best food we've had in India. The puttu and appam breakfasts are still fresh in our memories. Two huge perks of Vedic Heritage is the free, filtered water and the free WiFi. Charles and Muthu both made us feel right at home and welcomed us warmly to India. Vedic Heritage is set back off the beach on a dilapidated public foot path. The path is dirty and unpleasant, but you must use the path to access the beach and the "boardwalk" area. Also, while the room was very clean, we did see 2 large cockroaches in our room in the evenings. While this is not uncommon in budget rooms in south India, we would expect a room at this price to be roach-free.

Pros: Peaceful verandas, Friendly staff, Delicious food, Filtered water, WiFi
Cons: Location (for the price), Double cockroach sighting

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Bangalore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

The owner Charles may appear nice to most of the guests but he is actually a disgusting person.
...We had booked a room for three nights over Diwali for us and our two small kids. When we arrived at the hotel, he started arguing that this is not the right place for us to stay. First he said that the way to the beach was to difficult because of my husband's bad knee. He insisted we should go and find another place. We thought it was kind of him, so I went around in Kovalam to find a place closer to the beach - but I had booked Vedic well in advance and when I came back I wanted to stay here. But my husband told me we should find another place, because as I was away, Charles has started to criticize the fact that we had two kids (what he knew, because we wrote it when we booked). He said that the place was not safe for kids, that he had no milk or bread for the kids (no milk?...), and so on. He was so strange that we decided to go for another place. But it took some time, as we were calling the hotels and waiting for them to confirm if they had rooms or not. Charles started to be impatient. It was lunch time and very hot, the kids were thirsty and hungry, my son was completely wet from sweating. But Charles was not happy because he wanted us to move from his doorstep, he did not even give water to the kids or so. Just when we were on the point of leaving, he told me "and if you had stayed, I could have not extended the stay of three couples - bad for my business"...!!! Actually the whole time, he wanted to get rid of us because he wanted to keep three couples for a longer time in his pension and one room was missing! He was pretty stupid to tell me so, but at least it was clear for me that he is a bad guy. For him, no problem to spoil our first afternoon in Kovalam (we had only four days), no problem to have our kids waiting in the sun, he just wanted to make more money. I told him he thinks only at money. He said, "of course, that is my business".
In the hand we went to Varma Beach Hotel, were the people were very nice and friendly, and the beach was much nicer than the Kovalam Beach. So we can say we were lucky and I am happy I did not stay at Vedic.
So if you book Vedic, you just know what kind of people you are giving your money to...

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
vedicheritage, Owner at Vedic Heritage Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear french couple,

Thank you for the review even though you didn`t stay at our hotel. It is always easy to see the perspective from one side alone, the totality is a hard matter to digest. It is clearly stated on our website that we do not accomodate children below the age of 11. Your husband tried his best to convince us through your emails that your 2 children (2 and 4 years old) were very quite in behaviour and hence for the first time we decided to make an exeption due to your serious interest in staying with us. He never stated in his emails that he was suffering from a knee problem and using 2 crutches to walk. Upon your arrival at the hotel you demanded a room on the ground floor which we were unable to provide since we had blocked a room for you on the first floor. Seeing your husband`s disability to go and I, Charles suggested that for his comfort and wellbeing it was better you found a room on the beach front, 150 meters from our hotel. You agreed and we sent you to look around together with a local boy as help, which was our courtesy to help you find the best alternatives on the beach. You returned after looking at many other places and insisted you stayed at Vedic Heritage because the other hotels didn`t meet your standard for cleanliness and hygiene especially for your children.

While you were gone to look for other hotels your husband and 2 children stayed at our lounge or the big hall in the ground floor. We even gave the password to our wireless router because he wanted to surf on the internet. The 2 children played around in the hall by using the crutches to bang on the beautiful pillars we have painfully created in the hall and on the outside balcony. They were making a big noise and sometimes screaming loud. Some of our long term staying guests came down in the mean time and talked to me. They said that they will vacate the hotel if your family was going to stay at the hotel because it was too loud noise from the children. I was caught up in a delema trying to please both the sides. In the meantime the children and your husband had unpacked the bag containing the toys for the children and it was spread all over the entrance door. We had to request your husband to remove them because it was blocking the passage for the other guests who were going in and out.

In our big hall where your husband and 2 children were freely moving there is a water purifier with cleaning drinking water for everyone who comes in the house, regardless they are guests or not. Your husband could have given that drinking water to your children but he was busy surfing on the internet. How could we know your children were thirsty if your husband didn`t even see that? The children were busy running around the big hall all the time. We were very patient and accomodative all the time. When you returned from the beach after looking at many other hotels and insisted that you somehow stayed with us I objected. That is true. Then you started abusing me by saying that I was only happy to accomodate tourists and was only thinking of money. I replied by saying that this hotel was made only for tourists and I was not doing a charity job and of course money is an important factor to run a business. Otherwise why should I run this complex business of service to other people where my job is to please everyone from all over the world, different cultures, chracters and behaviours? Sometimes this is a very difficult job, madame. You, then forgot that you were also a tourist and blaming me for accomodating and liking only tourists. You were too angry at me, madame. And even forgot that you were yourself a tourist.

I am happy to know everything turned out good for you in the end and you had a good holiday even though I lost some business for 4 days. With pleasure!!
Londonuk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

I've just returned from 2 weeks in India. The Vedic Heritage Boutique Hotel was my best find. Charles the owner did everything possible to make my stay enjoyable and peaceful. The hotel itself is fairly new, well designed and only 5 rooms. The light and space in the house is amazing.
Each day for breakfast I experienced great coffee and a variety of Kerala breakfasts, prepared just for me....
Charles organised massage, yoga and trips to see the local area - he could not have been more accommodating and delightful.
I was travelling in low season so the local beaches and area was very quite. I would highly recommend going in low season, good day and evening climate and some rain (still monsoon season).
I can't wait to return and do more yoga and chill out.
If you want a quite, relaxing and peaceful time without all the mod cons of swimming pool, bar, air conditioning etc this is the place for you.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Sedgefield, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

It was a rare pleasure to stay at this beautifully designed, immaculately kept guest house. A short walk along the footpaths took us either to the beaches ideal for swimming, or to a beautiful Kali temple. Charles is a most gracious host and provides assistance with day trips and other interesting facets of life at Kovalam Beach and Kerala in general.

Room Tip: We had a room one the first floor near the wild gardens and saw wonderful birdlife and squirrels fro...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

We traveled to Kovalam in the monsoon to find the rain was no more and magnificent sunny days to enjoy the heavenly beach that awaits there. I had wanted to stay at Vedic Heritage on a prior visit but it was full at the time and was very happy to stay there. Muthu who was managing the place in Charles absence took wonderful care of us and our children, all in all a very homely and sincere place where utmost effort was always taken to ensure genuineness and heart-felt care and love which is rare in any "tourist" spots. Actually this was the genuine ancient way of treating guests that India has known deeply rooted in the culture of Sanatanadharma. So it was a wonderful re-discovery. The building is new but refreshingly made and you can feel a lot of care was taken to make something traditional but clean and functional too.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

We stayed here in March having booked online - Charles and staff were very friendly, welcoming & helpful to arrange transportation or always taking time to chat and give us helpful advice. The Vedic is a short walk down the narrow walkways to the beach, take your flashlight for evening walks back to the hotel. We loved the quiet, relaxing location, superb cleanliness and open, spaciousness of the Vedic. It is quite new with rooms located off a central, open space. I think all rooms have a balcony and ours was the perfect spot for morning or afternoon coffee.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Kovalam, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

this place is trying hard to give a true and original insight into the vedic background of kerala's culture. the rooms are nice, the service helpful and the location all right.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo

Been to Vedic Heritage Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!