“Excellent complex & facilities, great value” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Somerset Olympic Tower Tianjin

You added Somerset Olympic Tower Tianjin to your Saves list
Somerset Olympic Tower Tianjin
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.126 Chengdu Road, Heping District, Tianjin 300051, China   |
Special Price
Mid-Year Promotion
Ranked #11 of 1,011 Hotels in Tianjin
Wrexham, United Kingdom
“Excellent complex & facilities, great value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

Good location and property. Hotel is very clean and has modern facilities. I was staying in a really nice spacious newly renovated, well equipped apartment. I used the excellent newly renovated swimming pool. They have a very good newly refurbished children’s playroom and on my stay I spoke to another guest using this facility saying it was very good. The Staff were very helpful, courteous and some spoke good English. Good various restaurants, excellent location. Also on the complex is the excellent Si-Tong bar that is very popular for Western guests. Would stay here again no question!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
SomersetTJ, Manager at Somerset Olympic Tower Tianjin, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Thank you for your write-up and really appreciate your recognition of Somerset Olympic Tower Tianjin. Certainly look forward to have the opportunity to welcome you back ‘home’again

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Wrexham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

Good location. This hotel offers many amenities and within the building you can find various shops and restaurants. Very clean apartments and spacious with an excellent kitchen and service. English is widely spoken and the staff are more than willing to help you with any enquires you may have. I was traveling alone but I could see many families’ here and as a family man I would have no problem bringing my family here. I would highly recommend this hotel. I will certainly stay here on my next visit.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
SomersetTJ, Manager at Somerset Olympic Tower Tianjin, responded to this review, June 8, 2013
Dear Les H, noted with appreciation your favorable review of our property. Like to thank you very much for such and will share this with our team members; whom I am sure will be equally pleased.
As and when you have plan travel back to Tianjin with your family, please feel free to call in with us again.
Much obliged,
Beijing, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

second time stay here, whole family loves it! hear that some of the room were refurnished, we stayed in one, clean and tidy. especially for family stay, my little son loves the kid's play room. very good location, close to most of the famous sight! people are nice and helpful!

Room Tip: some of the room were refurnished recently, ask before go.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
SomersetTJ, Manager at Somerset Olympic Tower Tianjin, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear Ms. Lynn, this is truly a great reward for us as a team to receive your comments and I’d like to thank you for providing this write-up here. Certainly look forward to have the opportunity to welcome you back to ‘home’ soon again.
Shanghai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Good location. We had quite pleasant stay in this property; the room was spacious, my wife loves to cook in the room, we found certain items was missing in the kitchen, service response from housekeeping was efficient after we made a call, we had wonderful meal in the apartment with well-equipped kitchen. In fact, there are many good restaurants nearby; front desk was very helpful and share many valuable information with us.
Highly recommend swimming pool, even better than a 5 star hotel where I used to live.
The children playroom is little small, a 6 years old kid like my daughter hard to enjoy the space and environment.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
SomersetTJ, Manager at Somerset Olympic Tower Tianjin, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Thank you very much for outlining your impressions and assessment towards our property, in your review drafted, here.

It is good to note the overview and your positive feedback to our offerings and services. Meanwhile we look forward to welcome you back home in this New Year 2013 ahead, for which I like to wishes you all the best ahead.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

We used to live here eight years ago and were always happy with the hotel. So on this trip we didn't hesitate to come back.
What a mistake! Service has gone down the drain. Front desk couldn't tell us where to find a shopping centre, concierge told us to go hail our own cab, in december weather! Housekeeping gave us grief over an extra blanket which we only needed because the air conditioning was so loud it woke us up. They didn't clean the room properly, dishes and towels stayed dirty. Every time we tried to ask for anything (even directions) we got attitude. Like they were doing us some kind of favor letting us stay. The whole thing is a disaster. Not a single employee ever bothered to say hello, most seemed to be loitering rather than doing anything. On top of it all housekeeping argued with us when we asked that they come back later (it's was 8 am). Argued! It's unheard of in any international hotel chain. Tianjin is full of good hotels, now more than ever. Avoid this terrible disaster.

• Stayed December 2012
SomersetTJ, Manager at Somerset Olympic Tower Tianjin, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Thank you for your comment towards your stay at our property. It is sadness to know that our service is far behind your expectations; allow me to express sincere apology for those where we fell short. Undeniable, all points you raised out are actually basic service requirement and have attracted serious attention from management; could we bother you to give us the room number during your stay period, so we can investigate the details and rectify service failure with concerned parties to avoid reoccurrence.

We would certainly have preferred to have the opportunity to address those matters stated here with you in person during your stay with us, for swiftly correction and rectification. At this stage, however: ‘turning back the wheels’ is beyond my ability.
Whilst I understand based on the above outline, it is unlikely that we will be able to welcome you back to our property; I do encourage you to contact me directly as and when your travel back to Tianjin. We will be most happy to assist you and/or invite you for a personal discussion on your observations posted here and/or any other arrangements.
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

We had a horrible experience at this property. My family stayed in Tianjin for two months in the summer (2011) and it is difficult to find short term apartments. Rates for serviced apartments in Tianjin at the time were quite high due to lack of competition (compared to Beijing and Shanghai). I negotiated a reasonable (but still high for China) rate in advance at the Somerset. We discovered that there are two Somerset Olympics. At the lower rate, we were placed in one of the old dirty rooms with a cream carpet and white lacquer furniture that looked like it came off the Golden Girls set. In other words, not one of the newly renovated rooms. It was disgusting and dirty and our allergies were acting up. The room should have been condemned. Somerset would never allow guests to stay in a room of such low quality in their European hotels. After a lot of negotiating (and paying more) we moved to another Olympic property, but before out move we stayed in a renovated room at the Somerset for a few days first. Night and Day! We wanted to stay in the renovated room since the location was more convenient for us, but they wanted much more money. I even sent a letter to corporate headquarters and they wouldn't budge or apologize. I'm an old China hand so I expect the bait and switch in China, and I expect to fight and negotiate for things, but when I deal with a foreign company and when I am paying ex-pat prices, I expect honest service. I imagine at this point that the entire building has been renovated, but after this horrible, dishonest customer service experience, I will never stay at a Somerset property anywhere again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
SomersetTJ, General Manager at Somerset Olympic Tower Tianjin, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Dear Raku,

Appreciate your candid approach towards your stay at our property.

Regrettably, we have not been able to live-up to your expectations; it is appropriate for us to apologize for those areas where we fell short.

We have noted your comment to the aging product in apartment. We are actually working on a 3 years plan to have all units to be renovated by the beginning of year 2014. By the time of your stay, only half of the units were renovated. The newly renovated apartments are available at a slightly higher rate.

The Ascott Ltd is managing 3 properties in Tianjin. Somerset Olympic Tower, Somerset International Building and Somerset You Yi. All these properties have their own different style and design as they have been opened at different years.

For your next booking, please do feel free to contact me directly I will be glad to personally look after your stay.
Adelaide, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2011

The review of the EnglishomaninAsia should have been a warning - a spacious apartment but sparse furnishings of 'ordinary' quality were not those of a 4+ star-rated hotel. Problems with checking in (couldn't match name to on-line booking), workman doing electrical work in our room when we checked in, advertised extras not included and no access to balcony (which was covered in dust) also left us disappointed.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Carrie B, General Manager at Somerset Olympic Tower Tianjin, responded to this review, November 18, 2011
Thanks! Thank you for taking the time to give us the prompt comment about your recent stay.
After careful review of your concerns, we offer you our deepest apologies for having failed to give you the service all our residents expect. Since we are constantly looking at ways to improve our services, following your feedback, we will focus our efforts to seek improvements in these areas. Despite the booking was made under your wife’s name, we still need to be more flexible to locate the reservation upon check in. Of course, we have addressed the workman issue and cleanliness of baloney to concerned manager to avoid reoccurrence.
We look forward to welcoming you again at any one of our serviced residences.

Been to Somerset Olympic Tower Tianjin? Share your experiences!