“Needed a thorough refurbishment 10 years ago....now it's positively DIRE!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Renaissance Tianjin Downtown Hotel

Save Saved
You added Renaissance Tianjin Downtown Hotel to your Saves list
Renaissance Tianjin Downtown Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No. 105 Jianshe Road, Heping District, Tianjin 300042, China   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #35 of 949 Hotels in Tianjin
Puerto Princesa, Philippines
“Needed a thorough refurbishment 10 years ago....now it's positively DIRE!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Oh dear! 1st the rooms.....10 years out of date! Decor is SO old it's like being in some sort of time warp.......same as the general decoration throughout the building.
BUT, that was completely overshadowed by a DISGUSTING event following dinner........

My colleague and I both ordered Tenderloin steak (clearly marked as 208rmb on the printed menu), I had a salad starter (48rmb) and a glass of beer (48rmb). My colleague had a different starter costing 68rmb) and a glass of wine 48rmb.
A quick bit of maths and you end up with a total of 622rmb.
We asked for separate bills.....this cause HUGE confusion and delays.

Eventually I as given my bill......a 8" long piece of paper with additions, debits, more additions, more debits and crossed out totals with unrecognisable numbers....but a total of 797rmb on the bottom. My colleagues was similar with a total of 496rmb. Thats a total of nearly 1300rmb!

The waitress was pushing me to sign it saying, 'OK...OK...sign!' I told her this was ridiculous!
She made some excuse about service charge! I asked her to bring me back the menu.
THIS IS WHERE IT BECAME DISHONEST!!!!

She would not give me back the menu but instead took the menu to another counter. Then after another 5 minutes I saw the staff writing something with a pen....she brought the menu back to me. They had DELIBERATELY changed the price for my steak from 208 to 288, by adding an extra loop (in ball-point pen) on top of the zero!
THIS IS BLATANT THEFT!
I refused to pay....I showed them the changed amount and told them I knew what they had done. Even with their fictitious amount the bill was far too high!

Then I wrote down the actual amount on a napkin and gave it back to them.
Eventually they brought more new bills for signing. These were still both 25 to 35 rmb more than they should have been, but by now we were late for our next appointment and reluctantly signed them .

Message to the dining room staff......YOU PICKED ON THE WRONG GUYS! What a disgrace!

I want the manager of this restaurant to fully apologise for this disgusting behaviour on this site!

Room Tip: Avoid the top floors above level 34....you need a separate elevator (which they don't tell you a...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Renaissance T, Public Relations Manager at Renaissance Tianjin Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Dear Mr. Parker-Dixon, thanks for staying at Renaissance Tianjin Downtown Hotel. We are very concerned to read about the issues you encountered during your stay while dining with colleague at the 2/F restaurant. Please allow us to apologize for the inconvenience that we have caused. As our valued customer, your comments are extremely important to us. The menu with new pricing introduced in July was not presented. Instead, an old menu showing handwritten 0 on the top of 0 to become 8 which was being retain for internal training the new associates was inadvertently presented. The price printed on the bill shall be correct for reason being our Finance Department is doing the update every time there are new price/menu changes. Any discrepancies such void items are being investigated by our auditor on daily basis. The issue has alerted us and preventive measurements and training will be in placed to prevent any recurrence. Once again, please accept our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience caused. Looking forward to your arrival!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Jinan, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

I stayed on the Executive Floor, and the staff were very friendly. Though the room was a bit tired, but cleaner compared with others I stayed. Good location as well, easy access to the underground, and also plenty places to eat just outside the hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Renaissance T, Public Relations Manager at Renaissance Tianjin Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Thanks for staying at Renaissance Tianjin Downtown Hotel! Your comments are greatly appreciated. Our hotel is located in Xiaobailou CBD, one-minute walk from the metro station. There are many featured restaurants around the hotel, and also some shopping malls. Looking forward to your next arrival!
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 10 days, front desk staff friendly & helpful during check out and during our stay. Rooms are small and dirty, the dust and dirt on the carpet under the desk and around the room was quite gross. We called for them to vacuum and they did. The entire hotel needs new carpet, tons of stains through out make it feel dirty, stinky and old. The cleaning staff were annoying at times when they would ring door bell repeatedly when the " do not disturb" sign was on the door only to ask if we had dirty laundry for them. Elevators need repair- they dont have sensors and close on you when you go to walk in. The location is great, right next to street with several restaurants, pubs, Starbucks, subway and shopping malls close by. Breakfast in morning was mediocre, the food never changed. We attempted to get ice cream at the restauaunt once but after waiting 35 minutes and the waiter disappearing, we left.

We wouldn't stay here again, other then location, there are better options.

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Renaissance T, Public Relations Manager at Renaissance Tianjin Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Thanks for staying at Renaissance Tianjin Downtown Hotel! We’re sorry to see that you had a challenged stay here. Your feedback is greatly appreciated. We will work more on staff training. The hotel is greatly located , with easy transportation, and we hope it benefited you. Looking forward to your next arrival!
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

I stayed at the Renaissance Tianjin, Downtown Hotel for only 4 nights.
While waiting for my executive apartment to be made ready (see another of my reviews)
My check in was excellent. I was met in the hotel lobby and escorted to my room, where I was checked in with a hot green tea.
All the staff I met in the hotel, new my name and were extremely pleasant and polite.
The buffet restaurant was not good, the food selection was average, services(even though polite) was very slow.
The club lounge was small and have a selection of food and beverage to match. However, the quality was very good.
It was an enjoyable stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Renaissance T, Public Relations Manager at Renaissance Tianjin Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Thanks for choosing to stay at Renaissance Tianjin Downtown Hotel! Your comments are greatly appreciated. We’re trying to improve ourselves. Looking forward to your next arrival!
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

Stayed there on a recent business trip. Hassle free check in/out. Staff are friendly. Given a room on the high floor. Room needs a revamp but still comfortable. WIFI and lan connection is fast and stable as I require this every night to work in room. I had my meals a few times at the cafe and I find that the food is very salty.
Location is good. Cinema, fast food chain, restaurants and shopping centres are conveniently located around the hotel. Take a walk up the Haihe river which is near to hotel, you will come across the different types of architectures, bridges, river fishing and Tianjin Eye.
Overall it's a good stay but the only thing I find irritating is that the toilet bowl give a loud "tud" when you flush it and the noise from the water running tab is a bit noisy. You can hear this clearly in the middle of the night when your neighbour next door comes back.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Renaissance T, Public Relations Manager at Renaissance Tianjin Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Thank you for choosing to stay at Renaissance Tianjin Downtown Hotel. We’re pleased to see that you liked your stay. Your comments are greatly appreciated. Looking forward to your next arrival!
Shanghai, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013 via mobile

The location of the hotel was great but the service I found at the reception on 9 Apr 2013 was at best average. Although the staff was sufficiently polite and after some time managed to locate my reservation for one night, it appears the front desk lacks sufficient staffing, as there was a queue of individual travelers all looking fairly inpatient to have to wait more than 15 minutes simply to check in. To make matters worse there were apparently no queue line markers if indeed the intention was to have guests queuing to check in.
To make it easier for the staff doing the check in, I decided not to burden her to check for my loyalty card number for the hotel (which I joined due to the excellent service I received in Renaissance Beijing) as I had forgotten to mention the card number during my reservation. I have experienced better service at other Renaissance Hotel.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Renaissance T, Public Relations Manager at Renaissance Tianjin Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Thank you for staying in Renaissance Tianjin Downtown Hotel. Your feedback is greatly appreciated. We will enforce the staff training to let guests experience better service. Looking forward to your next arrival!
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Stay here for one night for business and the location was great and service was good. Arrived at hotel early and was upgraded to a suite.

The good:
- Loation is great with everything within walking distance
- THe suit was large with living room and bed room
- Safe in room

The not so good:
- The hotel is on the older side but still good.

I will come back to the hotel because of the location.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Renaissance T, Public Relations Manager at Renaissance Tianjin Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Thank you for staying in Renaissance Tianjin Downtown Hotel! We really appreciate your likeness of our location and rooms. Looking forward to your next arrival.

Been to Renaissance Tianjin Downtown Hotel? Share your experiences!