TRAVEL ALERT: SECURITY CONCERNS More info

“Great views” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Orchids Safari Club

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bukavu
Orchids Safari Club
You added Orchids Safari Club to your Saves list
Lake Kivu | Bukavu, Bukavu, Democratic Republic of the Congo   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Bukavu
Usa River
“Great views”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

A nice place with lovely gardens and breathtaking views across the lake. Lots of bird life. Food is very good and the staff attentive. Rooms are ok but the beds could do with renovation and the pillows are minuscule. Nice bathroom. Internet is good but the cards limit you to 256mb, which is tedious. Little pricey but not as ridiculous as hotels in Kigali

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Families
Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

While clearly this is the only game in town for a reason, the customer service is pretty lacking, and the fact that my colleague and I both got bed bugs (and then another woman who they put in her room the same day they moved her out of it!!), rooms 19 and 21, but probably all the rooms in that block have them now. Alas, lovely setting, decent food, but you've been warned.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Washington DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

First off, understand that this star rating system is all subjective. I choose to rate my reviews based upon overall experience as compared to what else is on offer. That said, Orchids' hit one of of the park with this offering.
I'm writing this now, sitting on the terrace, on the second day of my four day sejourn here, and I am rebelling in the view from the terrace. Hard to explain how lovely and serene it is. It is unlike any other hotel I have stayed in in Africa, and that is saying a lot because I've seen my fair share.

Ok, not to be too long winded... I simply can't understand the ire of some of the other reviews, as my experience here has been nothing but but fantastic since my arrival. The reception is an angel; the restaurant staff are attentive and polite. The setting is out of this world. Everything is expensive, but get used to it, this is DRC.

I changed rooms twice. My first booking was in one of the third class rooms; nothing wrong with it, jut not what I want when on business, if other options are available. I switched to a second class room, and was quite pleased with it until early morning when renovations recommended on the adjacent room. Fine, I understand, you have to rennovate. I asked for another switch (and I am never this picky) and was transferred to a first class room with an amazing view over the lake. Two full sized beds, large room and bath, amazing terrace. I still preferred the smaller second class room, as this one is just too big for one person.
The rooms are spread out over the property in different blocks on the various terraced slopes.

I walked all over the property this evening, and it looks to my eye, and budget, and sensibilities, that rooms 19-22 are your best bet, but they are all full at the moment.

Anyway, don't be put off by negative reviews... This place is a delight. I will certainly be staying here again on m next trip.

Room Tip: The rooms are staggered by class, in a tier system. 1st and 2nd are where you won't to be. They...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Maidenhead
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Bukavu is a chaotic crazy place. But Orchids Safari Club has running water, electricity, a great bar and a fantastic location. It's not cheap. In fact it's pretty pricey. But in DRC there isn't much choice if you want a safe secure place to stay. I was there on business. The hotel is in a wonderful location overlooking Lake Kivu. The views can be stunning, with paths winding down through tropical vegetation to the lake front (and helicopter landing pad). The lightening storms can be equally dramatic. The rooms are graded by price. I was in a basic room that had a hard bed, electric light, mosquito net and bathroom. It was fine, but expensive.
The bar serves great Congolese beer and French wine. It's a popular spot and the main place in town to meet people. The food is wonderful French cuisine, well cooked and presented but pricey.
It's a hotel with old colonial style charm where the great and good of Bukavu mingle with diplomats, aid workers and expats.
Next time in Bukavu I will head back there again. It's expensive, but worth it as security is top priority in this part of Africa.

Room Tip: You get what you pay for.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Pass
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

I spent a sunday afternoon there, using their river bank to swim. IN the space of two hours, a helicopter landed and went three times. The staff was listening to a loud church service when I got there, and did not bother turning it off while I was trying to rest. I tried to order an ice cream, and was told that no food was allowed on the river bank... why???

I saw lots of NGO people, UN staff, and also mining industry people... the place looks like a little missionary colony and has a bad athmosphere to it. I am glad I stayed elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Kinshasa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2012

This is a great hotel, and has a nice snack menu - good for lunch. But woe betide you if you want to eat your sandwich sitting on the terrace overlooking the lake: that's forbidden. You are hustled into the dark interior to sit there in gloom. No amount of discussion will change their mind. It is the RULE!! I thought that went out with Hitler. . .

Wake up! be nice to the customers and let them eat their snacks where the menus are - on the terrace!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Islamabad, Pakistan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2011

Once you drive to the Hotel you are disappointed as the road is in a very bad condition but once you enter the Hotel its amazing. I felt like entering into the dream Zone. A marvellous and commanding view of the Kivu lake, artistically planted trees and growth, a high speed free wifi, nice restaurant. But food is not really matching its standards and very costly. Moreover you dont find Halaal food, so if you are muslim you options are restricted to Fish and vegetables. Must taste the fresh MARAKOOJA Juice.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Orchids Safari Club? Share your experiences!