“Overpriced and an overall poor experience” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Alaska Fishing Lodge / Soldotna Bed and Breakfast Lodge

and 1 more site!
You added Alaska Fishing Lodge / Soldotna Bed and Breakfast Lodge to your Saves list
Alaska Fishing Lodge / Soldotna Bed and Breakfast Lodge
399 Lover's Lane, Soldotna, AK 99669   |
Ranked #2 of 13 Soldotna B&B and Inns
Atlanta
“Overpriced and an overall poor experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2006

I had some free time in Alaska so I tried to book a place in Soldotna during peak tourist season. The Soldotana B&B was the only place I could find with any availability - now I know why. Overall, my stay was not enjoyable. It was way overpriced, compared to other places in the area. In addition, they want to nickel and dime you to death for everything - 5% charge to pay by credit card, $2 for a bag of ice for your catch when they have an ice machine on the property, etc. Two of the three guides I used through them were poor, unprofessional fishing guides - answering their cell phones during my trip as I am reeling in a fish, leaving early because of rain, etc. In addition, the "full breakfast" is not true because they send you out fishing at 4AM before breakfast is even ready!! Rooms were very small and well worn. They always had a vacancy sign out, now I know why. Overall, way over priced and not a good experience. Strongly recommend that you go elsewhere.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay away from Soldotna B&B
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
SoldotnaBBLodgeOwner, Owner at Alaska Fishing Lodge / Soldotna Bed and Breakfast Lodge, responded to this review, May 4, 2010
Soldotna B&B Lodge and Alaska Fishing Charters is very sincere about our motto: “Fine Lodging and Quality Guiding”. At check-in, we routinely ask our guests to provide any and all feedback about our guides and services. Any feedback about our guides is always welcome and always taken into consideration. As reflected by most of the Trip Advisor reviews, the large majority of our guests rave about our guides. We are very selective and primarily employ full-time, professional guides. However, we have learned that sometimes rarely personalities between clients and guides do not match.

We serve full breakfast as early as 4:45 am until 9:00 am. The overwhelming majority of our guests are provided the opportunity to enjoy full breakfast served in our sunroom which directly overlooks the Kenai river. This guest chose (voluntarily and at his discretion) charters that required an hour drive every morning. Unfortunately, he had to leave each morning at about 4:30am. This guest did receive a deluxe continental breakfast.

We are members of the Soldotna Chamber of Commerce and the Kenai Chamber of Commerce as well as the Kenai Peninsula B&B Association and the State of Alaska B&B Association. In fact, I am also a former Vice President Of The Board of the Kenai Peninsula Tourism Marketing Council. Soldotna B&B Lodge is still an active member of all of these associations.

Soldotna B&B Lodge is listed by “Alaska Best Places”, “Alaska Travel Smart”, and “Lonely Planet” travel guides. We invite any potential guest to compare our amenities, services and prices with any other river property in our area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
South Bend, IN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2005

We loved our stay at the Wandering Moose this past summer. Charming, sparkling clean cabins, wonderful hosts and super spot for river fishing. You can wade in and catch your fill of reds in a beautiful, quiet spot right on the Kenai. Audrey will arrange your activities and even teach you how to fish (if you don't already know how). We are going back!

• Stayed June 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2005

I recently completed a fantastic trip to Alaska and wanted to share my experience for future potential visitors to the Kenai Peninsula and specifically those considering staying at the Soldotna B&B.

I am an internet user and when traveling I like to use the internet for research and booking accommodations etc. I have successfully booked trips to many parts of the US and Europe so naturally when I decided to give my dad a Alaska fishing trip for Christmas I went to the internet to research best areas and eventually book my trip.

During my research I ran across a very unflattering review of the Soldotna B&B which led me to request more information from the owners as well as reach out to the Soldotna Chamber of Commerce prior to booking my travel. I received very good reviews from the chamber as well as additional references that Monica and Steve provided. I decided to stay at the B&B and was not disappointed. The location was wonderful, the Inn backs up to the Kenai River –You can literally fish from their back yard. The rooms were spacious, comfortable, very clean and Steve and Monica and their staff were very helpful, knowledgeable, courteous and friendly. We had a great time fishing and the guides and charters that they arranged were very professional and knowledgeable as well. I noted that a number of guests I met at the B&B were returning visitors which reinforced my positive opinion of this Bed and Breakfast.

If I decide to go back to Alaska, and my trip included the Kenai Peninsula, I would make sure that I stayed at the Soldotna B&B. It is a shame that a few visitors have had a disappointing experience, however I found the Inn very clean, comfortable and the staff and owners very professional and made sure that this trip to Alaska was very special.

• Stayed August 2005
Green Cove Springs
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2005

If you are interested in a Bed & Breakfast that caters to the customers, try Soldotna Lodge B & B. All of the help worked as a team giving Monika and Steve (owners) the support they needed to make your stay wonderful.
Never did we hear a disgruntled employee or guest.
Of the B & B’s all over the U.S. including the four in Alaska, this one is the best. The breakfast was a variety and very good at the time you wanted/needed it. The local guided fishing trips picked you up at their dock and the fish cleaning, vacuum packing, and freezing came with the trip. If you want sock-eye salmon just walk to your private fishing area for guests only. Fish and let the staff take care of your catch. I have never seen fishing like this before. You will catch Salmon if you get a line in the water. Aside from getting your limit of Salmon most any day, there are lots of places to explore close by.
Soldotna has a wealth of very good restaurants to suit many different tastes and budgets.
Larry and Carol
Houston, Texas.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2005

My stay at the Soldotna B&B was based on the recommendation of a friend - the best recommendation anyone can ask for.

I have travelled extensively and have stayed in all types of accomodations at all price levels. I have paid several times more at other places and not enjoyed myself nearly as much as I did during my stay here! I considered the price/value to be right on.

Rooms were neat and clean, food was good, hospitality was excellent. The B&B/Lodge is located directly on the river and had a great back yard for visiting (friendly guests and locals), reading, relaxing, and snoozing (nothing like an outdoor nap along a river to remind you that you're on vacation!).

The European style offered a welcome departure from the cookie cutter mold of other lodging. I took time to visit with the owners (Steve and Monika) and found them to be engaging, well-versed, and well-travelled. If you take the time to get to know them, you'll find them to be a caring, knowledgeable and fun couple.

Steve did a great job arranging the fishing charters and setting me up with excellent guides during my stay. I've fished several times in Alaska and this will be added to my enjoyable and memorable experiences. I could tell you about the fish I caught but you might be disappointed if you don't catch a bigger one. Actually, from one fisherman to the other, I hope you do!

I'm convinced that some people can create a bad experience for themselves no matter where they are or what the circumstances. A person would really have to be trying, however, to have a bad experience here. This is a positive, uplifting place that I will return to!

1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2005

The quickest way to take a great location and nice house and ruin the B&B experience? Ask Soldonta B&B.

The rooms were tiny and very overpriced, the owners overbearing to the point of cornering one of my colleagues over payment (and not wanting to take credit cards because of the huge cost to them). I think they forgot that we were their clients and it was we who were paying them.

Huge disappointment. Will not return and suggest you avoid too.

To be fair, however, the location is unbeatable and the views fantastic.

• Stayed June 2005, traveled on business
SoldotnaBBLodgeOwner, CEO at Alaska Fishing Lodge / Soldotna Bed and Breakfast Lodge, responded to this review, April 29, 2010
Soldotna B&B Lodge and Alaska Fishing Charters is very sincere about our motto: “Fine Lodging and Quality Guiding”. We strive to always provide excellent service but unfortunately sometimes we do not succeed. From those experiences, we can only learn. Most of the positive reviews will reflect the fact that we strive to provide excellent service and that normally, we do succeed. We are continually trying to improve our level of service. We invite any potential guest to contact us and then compare our amenities, services, and prices with any other river property in our area.

As per our policy and as per VISA/MC policy, we do not charge any guest’s CC without their authorization. Some of our guests check-out without paying, believing that we will automatically charge their CC that they provided at the time of reservation. This is not something we prefer to do and therefore sometimes we seek out guests that are checking out and have not paid yet. Although it may sometimes seem pushy, we are just trying to protect ourselves. We do prefer to be paid for our services.

We are members of the Soldotna Chamber of Commerce and the Kenai Chamber of Commerce as well as the Kenai Peninsula B&B Association and the State of Alaska B&B Association. In fact, I (Steve) am also a former Vice President Of The Board of the Kenai Peninsula Tourism Marketing Council. Soldotna B&B Lodge is still an active member of all of these associations.

We also acknowledge that some of our rooms are smaller but we recommend that you “get out and do something!” After all, isn’t that what Alaska is all about? Soldotna B&B Lodge has a 650ft2 great room with fireplace that has spectacular views of the Kenai river and two other sitting rooms that overlook the river. The lodge has 1.4 acres of wooded property directly on the river with 300ft of private river frontage with numerous decks. Soldotna B&B Lodge also has two private docks for river access. We offer much more than “just a place to rest your head.” We are also here to arrange any activities for our guests.
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2004

The Soldotna Bed and Breakfast Lodge is like an oasis….beautiful location on the Kenai River with well appointed rooms that are quiet and clean. Most of the motel rooms in Kenai/Soldotna are pretty basic, no views, and can be a little noisy, so the homelike feel and peaceful location of the Soldotna B&B is a big plus for those that want to get away from it all but still be in town. Steve and Monica are splendid hosts and they do a great job of running this establishment and making your stay memorable. I travel to Alaska on business and pleasure and I have stayed at all of the Motels and a couple of other B&Bs in the Soldotna/Kenai area and definitely feel that Steve and Monica have the best thing going. Only problem is that they book up early which means I sometimes have to stay at the Uptown…ear plugs a must.

Been to Alaska Fishing Lodge / Soldotna Bed and Breakfast Lodge? Share your experiences!