“Home in Alaska” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Huck Hobbit's Homestead Hostel

Huck Hobbit's Homestead Hostel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Slana
Huck Hobbit's Homestead Hostel
You added Huck Hobbit's Homestead Hostel to your Saves list
Off Mile 4 on Nabesna Road, Slana, Wrangell-St Elias National Park and Preserve, AK 99586   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Slana
Puerto Rico
“Home in Alaska”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Huck Hobbit's is like reaching that home you never knew you had in Alaska. Or maybe always dreamed you had. The feeling of the space is so serene, the backyard is a masterpiece of mountain ranges and plains. Then you have the spring water ready to be drank at the back of the cabins. The log cabins are truly works of art. More than just cozy and beautiful, they have so many intricate details. The cabin we stayed in had moose horns functioning as holders on the walls and other such natural harvests form part of the furniture and the vibe. It feels like you're in the ultimate Alaskan retreat. Then, to top it all off, there's the hospitality and joy of the host family. Thanks for welcoming us like family and hope to stay more than 1 night next time. Will always carry your magical homestead in our hearts...

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Smithfield, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2010

What an amazing trip to Alaska. Staying at The Huck Hobbit's Homestead Hostel in Slana was more than I ever imagined. Steve & Joy are some of the most hard working, honest, trustworthy, upright people we know. There are no words to describe the feeling you have when you are over looking their homestead. To be in the company of Steve, Joy & their beautiful family is a memory we will boast about for years to come.

• Stayed July 2010
Alaska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2010

This is the best place anyone could stay! It is great and an adventure. The food is the best. Their granddaughter Colene is the nicest and sweetest person. I like her a lot.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2008

Steve and Joy Hobbs were fantastically warm and accommodating during my 2 night stay. I was fascinated with their stories of homesteading, cabin building, trapping, and hunting. I asked a million questions, and they were all patiently answered. The couple led me and the other guests on a hike through some of the surrounding forest. My cabin was clean, nicely appointed, and private. Breakfast was delicious. Location is great because of the proximity to the Nabesna Road of Wrangell-St. Elias National Park. This was my favorite place to stay on my 2 week trip. I now count the Hobbs as friends of mine.

Interesting note: If you are wondering about the name, "Huck" and "Hobbit" were both nicknames of Steve Hobbs. If I remember what Joy told me correctly, he got them because he worked (and lived?) by a river and because of his last name. The hostel is on the Slana Homestead.

Been to Huck Hobbit's Homestead Hostel? Share your experiences!