“Get your reservation in writing” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Alaska Island Hostel

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Petersburg
Alaska Island Hostel
You added Alaska Island Hostel to your Saves list
805 Gjoa Street, Petersburg, AK 99833 (Formerly Petersburg Bunk and Breakfast)   |
Juneau, Alaska
“Get your reservation in writing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2009

My review of the hostel is short, only because I didn't get to have the full experience of staying there. On the surface, it looks like a nice place, separate dorms for the guys and gals, with one room for a family. The upstairs was a communal room with a full kitchen for preparing food. Wifi was available, but sporadic. The only thing I would advise is that you make sure the owner, Ryn Schnieder, remembers you are coming. She neglected to write me down in her book, and when I arrived, was told that there wouldn't be a problem. I returned after a night out during festival to someone in my bunk and all my gear stuffed into an unlocked locker. I was forced to find other accomodation in town for the duration of the festival.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo

Couples
Business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2008

Owner Ryn Schneider has thought of all the extra touches to make guests' stays wonderful. Internet and phone access, a kitchen stocked with coffee, half and half, spices and other extras for cooking--you just supply the main ingredients.

The whole place is extremely clean which encourages guests to keep it that way. All three rooms have four comfortable bunks. Can do laundry for $3.00/load.

Ryn gives great advice/suggestions and goes out of her way to be helpful.

• Liked — Owner; location
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dublin, NH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2005

I visited Petersburg this summer. I stayed in town on a couple different occassions. I found an incredible place, well kept, clean and with more comfort and character than any other places I've stayed in town. It's called the Bunk and Breakfast and is hands down my favorite place in town.
You will not find a more friendly and helpful owner. Ryn (owner), has videos, books and an in depth knowledge of Mitkof island and the town of Petersburg. She has a beautiful home, and arriving at the bunk and breakfast feels like visiting the home of a long lost friend. The atmosphere is friendly and comfortable. When I stayed there was always a mix of young and old and we had great meals and shared lots of laughter.
I have travelled in Central America and Europe and would have to say the bunk and breakfast is in a class of its own for the price and accomodations. Do yourself a favor and spend at least one night here before you book rooms at other places in town. I've been to them all and you can't beat this place.
The island by the way is beautiful. Rent a car if you get a chance and head south on the island.

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2005

My husband and I are life long Alaskans and we have always been interested in spending more time in SE Alaska. Long story short, I found a leaflet for Alaska Island Hostel on the ferry. The warmth of the hostess and owner of this hostel makes our stay very Alaskan, very comfortable. The facilities for cooking, complete with dishes and common cooking supplies make it easy to put together a meal. The sleeping accomodations are clean and have privacy. Best of all, the interactions with people in and out of the hostel are special. Locals drop in, as do other guests such as my husband and myself. I appreciate the comuter access and phone access since we bought a lot across the Wrangell Narrows. There is much to see and do around the Petersburg area, hiking trails, boating, fishing and awesome scenery. Then, it's great to come back to a clean, reasonably priced, comfortable setting. We would recommend this hostel for anyone coming through Petersburg or the surrounding area.

Been to Alaska Island Hostel? Share your experiences!