“Best Hamburgers in Alaska!” 5 of 5 stars

907.832.5243
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 6 Restaurants in Nenana
Nenana, Alaska
“Best Hamburgers in Alaska!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

I have stopped in to the Monderosa many times over the years and find that the service and the food is outstanding! I especially like the Jalapeno Burger and Onion rings! The steaks are equally fine! The staff in the Monderosa are friendly and Happy every time I go there! If you ever stop in, you will find that you are writing home about this place!

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Phoenix
“Nice stop and local folks”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

We drove by this place while on the Alaska Railroad. It was suggested that Monderosa served one of the best hamburgers in the area. I had forgotten all about this place until we were driving down the road to Anchorage on a Sunday morning and there it was. I said "Honey you wanna stop" and she said "Go for it". So we stopped. We were the only folks in there and ordered what they were suppose to be famous for, a hamburger. We had the bacon cheese burger it was about $11.45. We added fries, one coke and one coffee, the total was about $13.00. Now I am telling you that is pretty inexpensive for Alaska.

We split the burger because we had pigged out the night before at the Fairbanks Salmon bake. We did not tell the very nice lady running the place on this Sunday morning how we wanted the burger cooked. But it came to us about med-well, juicy and hot. It had all the fixins other than onions which we did not want. It was very tasty. The fries were also very good. They were those extra crispy type. My coffee was perfect.

We had a nice chat with the lady who works part time there every other weekend and is a full time social worker. You know, these small businesses can be real fun and you get to converse with the local people makes the stop a whole lot nicer. At least for us. She asked us if we were going to stay in Alaska and I said no, no chance, beautiful place but I am a city boy. She understood. I will tell you this though, if I come through there again I will stop with no hesitation, I felt like we were all family when we left.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Fairbanks, AK
“Mondo burgers”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

When I travel south from Fairbanks, I usually time my return to match something I can call dinner at the Moderosa Grill. That gives me a chance to study the menu, pretending I'll order something other than the Mondo bacon cheeseburger, usually with fries. The pretense fails every time, so I eat another of my favorite burgers. Actually, I rarely finish the thing, but I give it a good try.

The burger is flame seared and comes with lettuce, tomato, onions, pickles, mayonnaise, and a bun, of course. The fries are crisp and crunchy. The bar serves beer, wine, and booze. Fortunately, they stock Alaskan White and Alaskan Amber which are quite drinkable. My wife likes the wine, served in individual sized bottles. I've always found service to be friendly and prompt.

Seating is indoors or on a screened deck. Believe me, the screening makes the deck very pleasant without constant harassment by the mosquito version of F-16s. The building is log construction. There is a bit of history on the menu for when it was built.

There is no website, no wifi, and they don't take credit cards or checks, so be prepared. It's a good family place in the daytime hours (watch the clock, not the sun). It's a bar as well as a grill, and I've heard it can get a bit rowdy at "night".

Highly recommended for the food and service.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Shepherd, Montana
“One of the best burgers *I've* had in a while...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

MY experience at the Mondorosa was a very good one. It's a typical local dive- dark bar-like interior, been around since the 80's, pretty sure most of the crew has been there that long. But my husband and I really dig on places like this, and servers don't really bother us much as long as they get us our food and drink in a timely manner. Our sodas came quickly, and our burger was cooked medium, just as we ordered it. Top notch fries!
This place has some local flare. Be prepared for no special treatment, as they will treat you as they do everyone who walks through the door, and that is just fine with us- we'll be back.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Houston, Alaska
“on the search for the "best" burger in AK”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

I have always wanted to stop here, "the best burgers in Alaska". Maybe they were good years ago, maybe it was who was cooking that day. The table next to us had to return a burger because it was too rare. Ours was the Mondo burger believed to be stated as 1/2 pound. When ours came it was so well done, dry, tasteless and no way 1/2 pound. The bun was nothing special, ordinary and cold. We ate it because we needed to get on the road. Too bad because I was really looking forward to a good burger!

Visited June 2012