“The Best in Ketchikan” 5 of 5 stars

Wrangell, Alaska
“The Best in Ketchikan”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2010

100% Highly Recommended
Being an avid traveler I was very pleased when I came upon one of Alaska's finest hotel's The Narrows Inn & Marina. The great service wonderful rooms made my stay very enjoyable and so confortable, great food too may I add. You will not be disappointed staying at this location; I’m a repeat customer for when I find a great spot I always go back.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business

68 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Sylmar
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2010

I feel compelled to begin by telling you that I'm a Sheraton/Hilton kind of traveller. There are no Sheratons or Hiltons or anything like that in Ketchikan. Based on the reviews we booked our stay at the Narrows Inn. I think we made the right decision based on what I saw driving around the town. The town is very industrial at one end and very kitschy/touristy at the other. The Narrows Inn is on the industrial end of town. Nothing is very far away - the place just isn't that big.

Our suite was over the restaurant. We had a wonderful view of the Tongass Narrows and it was so pleasant to watch the seaplanes take off and land and the cruise ships go floating by. I really think the view helped make our stay as pleasant as it was. By the time we were supposed to go I didn't want to leave. The food in the restaurant is good which is great becasue there aren't many restaurants in town, although there are a couple. On our last night we had a bald eagle perched outside - very cool. I would absolutely stay here again if I were in Ketchikan.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2010

I was in Ketchikan for business for two days and two nights. My colleagues stayed at the Gilmore Inn in town and said although it was in the heart of the activity and also located where the cruise ships come in, it was a nightmare of noise and they had a lot of difficulty sleeping. I slept like a baby at the Narrows Inn. The beds were extremely comfortable and the rooms were immaculate. The hotel is extremely well maintained and the free wireless internet was great. I stayed in a waterfront suite and the view was beautiful and very peaceful and relaxing. Got to watch the cruise ships coast by and see some of the fisherman bringing in their daily catches. Pam and Don, the owners, were very welcoming and their personalities were delightful. Don is very funny and entertaining in the bar. He's an extremely smart guy who knows people and who has seen it all. Pam really knows her food and was a HUGE help with a catering order I needed. I had an injured back and she saw to it that I had everything I needed to heal. The bar and restaurant staff were very hard working and also had delightful personalities as well. You MUST try and Swedish pancakes for breakfast. While Ketchikan isn't a thriving metropolis, my experience at the Narrows Inn gave me tons of great memories and big smiles and I would stay there again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Cleveland, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2010

If you like eating dinner with an intoxicated drunk owner than this is the place for you. The service started out okay, but the waiter kept wanting to chit chat with every single customer. By the time I received my food it was a bit dried out probably from sitting under the heat lamps. While we were waiting for our food a gentleman came into the room seeming concerned whether or not we have been served. Not yet knowing nor politely asking the staff if we have been helped he came to our table and smelt like booze, even-though his speech was not impaired his verbal actions displayed it all. I use to be a waitress, so I understand that some customers like to talk with the staff. But if you are wanting to just eat your meal with the company you showed up with, than the staff should let that be, and stop talking!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2010

We stayed here for 3 nights as part of a trip to Canada and Alaska. Whilst I can't really disagree with the othe reviews, I was not as impressed as I expected to be. We paid extra for a seaview room, which we got partially but most of our view was of the restaurant and car park. I wasn't expecting the rooms to be of a motel style, which was not a problem but still a bit of a shock on arriving. The room itself was fine, bit small but clean and comfortable. The restaurant had really great views of eagles, floatplanes and boats and was fine for breakfast and lunch, good food and reasonable prices but we found it rather expensive for what we got at dinner. Unfortunately it was really the only decent place to eat as Ketchikan appears to shut down when a cruise ship isn't in and we strugged to find anywhere to else to eat at night. The location is well out of town, a free shuttle is available at most times (bit of a wait usually involved) and when we needed to get to the ferry before the shuttle started, the hotel paid for our taxi which was a nice touch. I did know about the location when I booked the hotel but thought the inconvience of being out of town would be worth it to stay in what appeared to be the best hotel in town. Unfortunately, I don't think it was. On reflection, if we return, I would stay at the Cape Fox as it looked to be just as nice but in a better location.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Anchorage, Alaska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2010

We took the advice of TripAdvisor and stayed here overnight while on a ferry trip from Bellingham, WA to Whittier, AK. Their shuttle picked us up at the ferry terminal and was always available to take us anywhere we wanted to go at no charge. The room was small but well appointed and clean and we had a beautiful view. Would have liked double beds but the double plus twin worked out fine. The restaurant had an outstanding view of the narrows and we watched float planes and barges as well as big cruise ships go by while we ate. The service was a bit slow but always friendly and the food was great. We had two breakfasts which were standard fare; didn't try any thing out of the ordinary. For dinner we tried several appetizers which were good, however, the oysters on the half shell were outstanding! Would definitely stay here again. Best value in town for the money.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
santa cruz ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2010

I'm a food guy. This very nice restaurant on the water has the best halibut and salmon ever.
How? It is all locally caught, fresh and brought to your table!
Another hint, you are dinning with locals at the next table.
Watch the resident eagles on the dock.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Narrows Inn & Marina? Share your experiences!