“A Wonderful First Stay!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Black Bear Inn

Save Saved
You added Black Bear Inn to your Saves list
Black Bear Inn
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   5528 North Tongass Highway, Ketchikan, AK 99901   |
Offers & Announcements
Fall 2014 Special
Ranked #1 of 18 Ketchikan B&B and Inns
Minnesota
“A Wonderful First Stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2012

Jim and Nancy's warm hospitality took very good care of me on my first stay at the Black Bear Inn. A beautiful room awaited me and with the lovely common living area I had all the comforts of home.Cozy fireplaces to warm up by and read. A wonderful inn with luxurious appointments and very generous hosts. I look forward to returning again and again as I pass through Ketchikan. Thank you!

Room Tip: All rooms are beautiful. I stayed in the Raven's nest which was lovely with a very comfortable q...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business

83 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Wasilla, Alaska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2012

Kurt and I stay at the Black Bear Inn 4/5 times a year and we have both experienced the Eagles Nest, the Bunk House many times and a B&B room. We both find the Black Bear Inn the most peacful, romantic, relaxing and really clean place to stay in Ketchikan. We have stayed at every hotel in Ketchikan and we keep returning to the Black Bear Inn because of reasonable price, spotless rooms, and the comforts the Black Bear Inn offers. Thank you Nicole and Jim for your hospitality. I have traveled in many countries and enjoy B&B's, the Black Bear Inn gets 5 stars from us.,

Room Tip: A romantic getaway for couples
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2011 via mobile

I really enjoyed my one night stay. I was in the bunk house. The view was wonderful, right on the water. And the hot tub was perfect. I will stay there again.

• Stayed December 2011
Brodhead, Wisconsin, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2011

We stayed at the Black bear Inn on our way to another destination in Alaska and found the eagles nest room to be comfortable, but the beds were pretty small and we were not offered breakfast either of the two mornings we stayed at the inn. The price was definately high for the services that were offered although the room was nice, it wasn't up to five star in quality in my opinion.The owner was informative about Alaskan information, but seemed like she wasn't really wanting to spend much time or energy dealing with my family. Altogether, a disappointing experience!

Room Tip: Not a good inn for a family with children.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Msdetail, Owner at Black Bear Inn, responded to this review, December 9, 2011
I am sorry to learn that you thought the Eagles Nest apartment was overpriced. You were charged half the summer rate and the same price you would have paid for a standard room for 2 in one of the hotels in Ketchikan this time of year. Being new to Alaska, you may not yet be aware of how expensive it is to live here. As you knew, in advance of your stay, there are two extended full size beds in the apartment’s bedroom. Since you said that your children were small, I assumed that the unit would be fine for you. The Eagles Nest apartment is a Vacation Rental, separate from the Inn and is not part of our B&B. Even so, we do stock its fully equipped kitchen with all the basic breakfast supplies plus lots of other ingredients needed for cooking.
I do hope that you did enjoyed the many amenities the apartment offers: The leather love seats, free standing fireplace, and the view of the ocean and mountains from the large picture windows in the Living Area, The full kitchen and dinning area for cooking and eating, The original Alaskan art on the walls and the handmade wool native rug on the floor in the bedroom, The access to free cable on the TV in the living room and the one in the bedroom, The Free Serious Radio and High speed wireless internet, The high quality wooden furniture throughout the apartment, The pillow top/memory foam mattresses and fine linens, and the private laundry room and covered sitting porch outside the apartment.
We try very hard, through our web site, to show future guests what we have to offer. When picking a place to stay it is always important to ask questions up front. We try to spend a lot of time talking with guests before they arrive. Our goal is to make sure that each guest that stays with us has selected the right accommodations for them. Sometimes this means referring them to another place in town, since what is really most important to Jim and me is that travelers who come to Alaska have a wonderful experience and enjoy our beautiful Island as much as we do.
Livermore, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2011

I am completely mystified by the reviewer that was disappointed in his stay at the Black Bear Inn. We stayed in the same room, just prior to his visit, and it was wonderfully appointed with attention to every detail unsurpassed anywhere else I've stayed! The room was large, cozy, and had everything we could possibly need and more. Lovely thick robes, amazingly comfortable beds (I wanted to take mine home), all with a tremendous view. There was even a large stick to put in the sliding door, so I could leave it partially open to enjoy the fresh air, and still have the door secured. (And the bed sheets were ironed...who does that anymore?!)

We were in Ketchikan to see all of the beautiful sites, so watching TV and being on a computer weren't activities on our list, but I don't see how it's possible to accomodate everyone's personal preferences or opinions on how a room should be set-up. Some might like the comfy chair and ottoman in the room facing the bay, some the TV, and others for conversation or quiet reading. There's plenty of room to adjust the furniture to meet individual needs and I know Nicole would have arranged it to suit 'Donald' if he had asked. I had no problem getting on the provided computer to access and confirm my plane reservations (as disappointed as we were to be leaving...).

Nicole is extremely helpful and acted as a personal tour advisor, steering us the best spots and even telling us the very best times to be at the fish hatchery to view the bears (we saw 8-10!). She arranged for a car rental (delivered to the Inn) and at a very good price too.

We found everything spotlessly clean and enjoyed the quiet atmosphere during our stay. It was truly a wonderful end to our first vacation in Alaska. Highly recommended!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Las Vegas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2011

The Black Bear was disappointing, not because it was bad but because it was much less than I expected. We did a 3 month trip to Alaska and stayed in B&B's almost every night so I consider myself sort of an expert in Alaskan B&Bs. The Black Bear was not the first place we stayed at in Alaska as it was at the end of our trip. The Black Bear was by far the most expensive place we stayed at. I feel that it was overpriced.

We did stay in their largest room which had 2 beds and a large bathroom with dual sinks. The room was large and the beds were comfortable. The room had several problems, however. First of all, there was only 1 comfortable chair and there was no desk. When I wanted to use my computer, I had to use a folding snack table for a computer table. Many of the B&Bs we stayed at on our trip had a desk and a desk chair. Second, although there was no comfortable place to use the computer, it really did not matter as the WiFi signal was so weak that I could almost never connect to the internet. The only place that I could consistently connect to the internet was in the common area. I often shared this common area with the guest in the room next to mine who also could not get a good internet signal in her room. The third problem we had was that the TV was located in a spot that you had to sit on the bed to watch it. The one chair in the room was not in the right location and there were no other chairs.

I was also disappointed in the breakfast. The WEB site for the Black Bear does state that the place has a self serve continental breakfast so I was not expected a served breakfast - although at the price we paid for the room, we should have had a served breakfast. The problem is that the breakfast choices were very limited and many of the items in the refrigerator were out of date. We stayed at other places in Alaska at considerably less cost than the Black Bear which had self-serve breakfasts with many more choices than the Balck Bear.

Nicole was friendly and gave us recommendations for places we would not have found by ourselves. The decor is nice and the grounds are attractive. It is just that the Black Bear is significantly overpriced.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Msdetail, Owner at Black Bear Inn, responded to this review, September 22, 2011
I am surprised to learn that you were not completely satisfied with your stay with us. If you had come to me with any of your concerns, while you were with us, I would have done my best to make you comfortable and fix anything that displeased you.

We are moderately price for a waterfront property of our kind. Our prices are 20% to 30% lower than the hotels and we provide many amenities that are not offered anywhere else in Ketchikan. A few of these include very high quality beds and furniture, lines, robes, bathroom accessories, and original Art and crafts throughout the Inn.

The room you stayed in is very large, but to add a writing desk, might make it seem crowded.
That is why we provide a foldaway computer table. We have 2 tables in our gathering room that guests can use for computer work. Normally our guests are out on tours or exploring the Island, so it unusual to find may people on the computer.

If you did not want to watch the TV in your room, from your bed, we would have been happy to move the large chair and foot stool to the other side of the room, where you could have watched the TV comfortably, but we did not know. We also have additional chairs that can be put in the rooms when needed.

We have the fastest high speed wireless Internet available in Alaska. If I had known you were having trouble I would have had our computer tech rep come by and check it out. Our system normally works everywhere on the property.

Our Continental Plus breakfast is self serve, because most of our guests are not interested in a set down breakfast. They are going out fishing or touring early and are not interested in setting around the Inn or having to eat at a designated time. Perhaps you did not see all the things we have available for you to eat. We provide fresh ground and instant coffees, 20+ different teas, hot chocolate, 2 or 3 different kinds of milk, 3 or 4 juices, yogurt, eggs and cheese, toast, English muffins, beagles, sweet rolls. and fresh fruit. If we were to offer more than that, we would have to charge more.

It is our goal that each person, who stays in our home, has a wonderful stay with us and that they get to truly enjoy our beautiful Island. May I suggest that if you ever find yourself unhappy, with something in a Bed and Breakfast or small family Inn in the future, you go to the owners and ask for their help. It has always been my experience that they are in the business to serve their guests and make them happy.
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

Very comfortable with a great view. Rooms are very comfy and convenient to downtown. Be sure and talk to Nicole about the right places to eat and the right guides to use. She put us on the best! Highly recommend!

Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Black Bear Inn? Share your experiences!