“You don't need to try if you're busy” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #18 of 57 restaurants in Ketchikan
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Lunch
Description: Alaskan Surf fans, bad news good news. Bad news we will not be on the cruise ship dock this year. We finally out grew it. Good news is the number #1 destination food choice is relocating to the deck of Bar Harbor Restaurant. there we will have an extended menu adding such things as crab, clams, fish tacos and grilled fish. We will also be serving beer and wine. easily reach by cab, bus or for those that like to walk. 1.4 miles from cruise ships. looking forward to seeing my friends this year.
Portland, Oregon
“You don't need to try if you're busy”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

Having placed on the harbor side, I expected a decent fresh seafood with budget price. Price was bit high, food was pretty much Mediocre. I'm sure that they're using fresh Halibuts, but the fish and chips that they made out of it is just too normal. Not bad, but not surprising.

Dear fellow tripadvisor reviewers. 5 star is to be marked on a restaurant if this is a much go place; a food that represents that city or town.

Thanks,

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

92% Recommend
Calgary
“great fish”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

Stopped by as the shack was closing however we were offered service and ordered one Halibut and chips...the Halibut was very tasty..

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Saskatoon
“Halibut Burgers!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Have always liked Halibut, but had never tried a Halibut Burger. The freshest, lightest, yummiest fish burger ever!

Visited August 2011
Connecticut
“Great fish and chips and chowder.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

When our ship stopped at Ketchikan eating at the Alaskan Surf was on our to do list, based on the reviews we read. We were not disappointed. The fish and chips were tasty, not heavy (we even received an extra piece because we mentioned TripAdvisor). I LOVE New England clam chowder and there's was great. We had a sunny, warm day and sat on the dockside picnic table enjoying our food. NOTE: This is a small structure with take-out only. It is located on the dock. When you get off the ships it will be towards the right almost across the street from the "Welcome to Ketchikan" sign on Front Street.

• Visited July 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
West Palm Beach, Florida
“An absolute MUST DO while in Ketchikan!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

I'm a sucker for good fish & chips... I'm an even bigger sucker for good clam chowder... so when I heard about Alaskan Surf being "the best" by the locals, I knew I had to try it. They are in this little shack right on the cruise dock, literally steps away from the gang plank of our ship, and they're making some of the best food I've ever eaten, anywhere! The fish & chips were beer battered so lightly that the halibut was the star of the show... fantastic! I read another reviewer say that the fries were a letdown... NOT SO! They were crisy and wonderful, not greasy at all. For me, though, the clam chowder could have been the only thing on the menu. I had a small cup of it with my fish & chips, and I was SO full afterward, but that didn't stop me from going back and buying TWO LARGE ORDERS of the chowder to take back on the boat with me. Trust me, their chowder was the best I've ever had, bar none. The prices were very, very reasonable, especially after seeing the crazy prices some of the other restaurants were charging. Honestly, though, I would have paid twice as much for that meal, it was just amazing.

When in Ketchikan, they are a must do, above all else. Take a break from the cruise food and enjoy the freshest most amazing meal of your trip. As another reviewer noted... we had gorgeous sunny weather while we enjoyed our meal on the picnic tables... but even if it's pouring rain, stop long enough to grab a bag full of yummy goodness to take back on the ship with you.

• Visited July 2011