“You can't control the weather, so just relax and enjoy the ride” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 80 Activities in Ketchikan
Type: Tours, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: Tour with Ketchikan's premier flight seeing company. Island Wings takes the time and makes the effort to show you the best of Southeast Alaska affording you a sense of the Alaskan wilderness. Our focus is the quality of your experience. From the handling of your reservation, to the equipment we operate, to the places we visit; we don't compromise and neither should you.
nj
7 attraction reviews
“You can't control the weather, so just relax and enjoy the ride”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

It's Ketchikan - it rains, a lot - and the day of our tour was no different - BUT we were going to enjoy every minute of this - I spent a lot of time pouring over tours for our Alaskan vacation/cruise and Island Wings had excellent reviews. And now I know why. We were met at our designated spot, the rain gauge, by 2 lovely ladies (so sorry I don't remember their names) They were friendly and helpful and fun. We reached the dock and watched the Lady Esther come in. I was surprised that there was such a short time between flights. This lady doesn't take a break. She obviously loves to fly. After a few explanations on how to get in the plane, we boarded, put on our headphones and seatbelts and took off. AWESOME - I don't care that it was cloudy and drizzly. I WAS IN A SEAPLANE! There was no apprehension, no fears - Michelle is a great pilot - Hey, I was putting 2 of my most valuable possessions in there, my kids, so Of course, I wanted the best and I got it. Michelle gave us commentary as we went through, pointing out waterfalls and different areas and answering any questions we had. Was it the best weather, No, but man we were flying through the fjord and it all looked good to me. It wasn't bumpy or scary, it was like floating. I felt like a little kid. It was so wonderful. Landing on the fjord, even with the drizzle was an awesome experience and getting out, although a little wet was so quiet and beautiful. We stepped out just for a while, took some pics, Michelle took some of us and off we went again. None of us had ever been in a seaplane and taking off and landing twice was so much fun. The Lady Esther is such a well maintained seaplane. Afterward the same ladies gave us the option to go back to the gauge or get dropped off at Canal St and walk back, which we did. We asked about Burger Queen (it's on walk back after overpass tunnel), which they said was good food and they were right - everyone had the burgers, fries, onion rings, except me, I had the fish and chips and we all enjoyed. So, if you're trying to decide whether to go or not - GO - just go with an open mind - Ketchikan is rainy, most of the time-If you get a nice sunny day, consider yourself very lucky and if you don't, just relax and enjoy the ride - It's beautiful, no matter what.

Irmo, SC
22 attraction reviews
“Worth the trip even in fair weather”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

I was unsure making reservations for a scenic trip given the unpredictability of the Weather in Alaska in June. We happended to hit a gray day - ceilings were about 800-1000 ft upon liftoff but the weather was very different in the Fjords. Although I am an experienced pilot I had never been on a floatplane so the experience was unique. and picking our way across to the Fjords reminded me of some of my past experiences. Once in the Fjords we could climb to 2500-3000 ft and the views were amazing. I could see a number of planes flying about and there appeared to be good communications between them - there appeared to be 3 types of flights, ones that traveled around but not up far enought to see fully into the Fjords, ones that landed but remained onboard, and those that landed and actually disembarked for a few minutes - this one is the last. Although you only step out of the plane it was a nice break and gave a different perspective. As has been noted before Michelle has an interesting background and is clearly very involved in the enviroment and keeping this unique area preserved for the future. Overall the experience was a great one and a little liquid sunshine didn't dampen anyone spirits significantly.

Maple City, Michigan
6 attraction reviews
“Best Flight Seeing Tour in Ketchikan, AK!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

Michelle is a terrific pilot! She immediately put my fears of flying at ease, by distracting me with the beautiful scenery of the Misty Island fjords. Landing on the fjord was spectacular. I was awed at how easily the pontoons touch down. Michelle then spotted a Grizzly bear with 3 cubs for us and gave us plenty of time to quietly observe them and just commune with the nature and vastness that Alaska has to offer. She narrated the flight in appropriate places and answered all of our questions, turning the adventure into an educational experience that has added a tremendous boost to the interest of my travel journal! I highly recommend Island Wings on your next adventure to Ketchikan!

Visited June 2014
“Highlight of our Alaska Trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

We had an amazing flight with Michelle who is as well the owner of the company.
As we were on a cruise, our cruise line offeref the same trip, for the same money but way less time.
We booked the two hour trip and it was absolutely worth it!
90 minutes flying time in an 1959 built floatplane, and 30min a lake were no one except us were present. Simply the highlight of our trip!

Beaumont, Texas
“Island Wings-Best part of our trip!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

We took the Misty Fjords tour and by far it was the highlight of our Alaska trip. The scenery is of course spectacular from the air but beyond that the experience was enhanced by the expertise Michelle and her crew provided. Michelle's career story is fascinating and it is so evident that she truly enjoys the service she provides to her clients.
The shore stop on a lake high in the mountains really puts the entire trip over the top!
Having been a private pilot at one time, I was blown away by the story behind her de Havilland Beaver aircraft. What a wonderful plane.
If you in Ketchikan, I would highly recommend this tour.

Visited May 2014