“Incredible Fishing Experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Tower Rock Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kenai
Tower Rock Lodge
You added Tower Rock Lodge to your Saves list
38156 Woods Drive, Kenai, AK 99611   |
Ranked #1 of 15 Specialty Lodging in Kenai
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Verona, Va
“Incredible Fishing Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

My father and I just returned from a wonderful week of fishing at TRL. Both of us have always wanted to experince fishing in Alaska and this was the year that experience was fulfilled. All of the staff provided us with a wonderful fishing trip that we will remember for the rest of our lives.

Mark and Mike are truly some unique characters. They helped both of us experince a wonderful, leisurely paced (if that is what you want) and a solid fun filled week of fishing. All of the guides that fished with us were wonderful. They would help you when you needed, but they would leave you alone to let you fish at your own pace. Dane, Joe and D-Money were great. All had unique personalities, but they all were suited to deal with all levals of fishing experince.

Sarah was very helpful in setting up the trip.She provided any needed information and she would help you fulfill your fishing dream.

The food was excellent. We tried several different types of cuisine and they would accomodate to your taste if you so desired. Noonie and Alexis, you are wonderful.

We caught a huge amount of fish and we only kept fish for the 1st day and half. After that, we released all fish that we caught.

The lodging was very comfortable in the cabins and the houskeeping staff was outstanding as well.

I would recommend this facility to the novice or expert fisherman because they can accomodate to any leval. It was truly a incredible fishing experince. Thank you so much to all of the staff at TRL. They made this trip with my father, a fishing experince that we will nver forget.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
El Paso, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

Simply stated, don't go to Tower Rock Lodge if you want to be serious about your angling in Alaska. The fishing and dining programs are highly overrated. I read reviews in TripAdvisor before choosing TRL for a short Kenai trip as an add-on to another trip. To put this visit in perspective, this was my fifth fishing trip to Alaska, most of which has been to various lodges in the Bristol Bay area, and have been an avid fly angler for nearly 30 years.

A good fishing lodge needs to begin with decent accommodations. My son and I had no complaint whatsoever with our room, which was a very spacious and well-kept cabin, comfortably appointed and furnished. Coupled with generally helpful and courteous staff, this was the highlight of our experience at TRL.

It is a given for anglers in Alaska that the day will be long and casting will consume more calories than you plan. We always seem to pack in extra hours of fishing with a greater appetitie on our Alaska sorties. So naturally you would expect to start your day with at least a hearty breakfast, including protein to last the morning. Not at TRL. Despite TRL's website boasting that it is "known for its fantastic meals," you can expect to begin your day with not much more than a granola bar. One morning we had a pancake. That's correct, a single pancake. No sausage, eggs, bacon, or even a stack. Another morning consisted of Egg Benedict. Yes, I used the singular. If you plan to fish with TRL, you should make time to go to Soldotna and get a real Alaskan breakfast every morning, because TRL's breakfast treatment is inexplicably miserly.

Especially considering the lodge prices, you would expect to have hearty lunches while angling. If your idea of a hearty lunch is two pieces of white bread matched with one slice of cheese and one budget slice of lunchmeat, then you are in luck. Dinners were sometimes odd, though one evening we were well satisfied with a steak.

We could somewhat overlook the unsatisfactory breakfast and lunches produced by TRL if their fishing program were outstanding. Sadly, TRL suffers from trying to be too many things to too many different people. TRL probably suffers from being too accessible. We found that of four days fishing, we had one very decent day, when we fished alone with a guide. On two other days, we were matched with people with no fishing experience. Look carefully at the fishing photos. If you have fished drift boats on Western U.S. waters, don't think that the Kenai River drift boats are anything like them. These behemoths are made of heavy aluminum and sport 4, yes 4, tandem seats in the front. These boats are made for gear anglers to sit in, side-by-side in two rows, while back trolling the Kenai River. It is a terrible mistake to use them for fly fishing with more than two anglers. Yet TRL did not try to match skill levels of the anglers, and putting 4 fly fishermen next to each other in such a boat is asking for trouble, let alone when 2 anglers are novices.

A fly-out trip can be spectacular, and we had a wonderful flight around Mt. Redoubt. A trip to a near-alpine lake and river went poorly when we were advised after arrival that the plane would return at 2, leaving us only 4 hours to fish. Added to the problem was another mismatch of anglers, such that the two guides for 4 anglers spent virtually all of their time baiting cured salmon eggs for the other two anglers to catch a number of Dolly Varden in a small stretch. To make matters worse, one of the guides toward the end of the trip waded near my son and me and threw some of the salmon eggs in the water. I naively thought he was just cleaning his hands, but when he did it again at another spot I realized he was chumming and asked him to stop. That is almost an unforgivable sin.

If you are a very skinny novice angler with little appetite for food or fishing, you should consider Tower Rock Lodge. This place, and the charming owners, has a lot of potential. With some rededication, they can make this an unforgettable experience for all visitors.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
TowerRockLodge, Owner at Tower Rock Lodge, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
Congratulations on your Monster Rainbow!

- Fish so big you don't gotta lie about 'em -
Verona, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

Just returned home from Tower Rock Lodge on Sunday. My son and I spent a week fishing there and had a great time. The food and lodging were excellent. The Tuhy brothers provided wonderful hospitality and great service. If something wasn't right they fixed it as soon as possible. The chef provide fantastic meals, the cabins were kept neat and clean, the fishing and guides were great. We brought home 150 ponds of fish. Thanks to the graciousness of the brothers my son and I were able to change our trip from 2011 to 2012 due to my heart attack and by-pass surgery and they did not charge us anymore even tho prices had increased for 2012. Sarah was wonderful, always there and willing to help in any way she could. She even came to the packing plant on the day we were leaving to bring me 2 sets of dog booties to take to my grand-daughters. We met many wonderful people and enjoyed our time spent with them. Thanks for the time of my life!!

Rye, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

I have read many of the reviews here and have little to add other than my sincere thanks to all at Tower Rock Lodge. The Tuhy Brothers have struck a perfect "balance" between excellent service, heartfelt hospitality, and just plain hardcore fishing.
I was there to fish, and the guides were more than able to accommodate, They were the first on the water and the last off. Hats off to Bubba, Dane, Dustin and Joe.
Meals were out of this world, Noonie and staff made meals a real treat. A bit of Thai influence matches Alaska seafood so well! and not to forget Alexis-anyone that has the fortitude to clean house after a bunch of smelly fishermen gets a tip of the hat.
Can't forget Sarah, either, (hi Sarah I know you are reading this)

Can't recommend highly enough. Less of a review and more of a thank you I know, but thats what I needed to say. These folks will take good care of you and your trip be it a hardcore fishing trip or casual.

Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

Greatly exceeded my expectations. The owners and staff anticipate every need, and are EXTREMELY accommodating. Whatever you want, they make it happen.
Meals were all excellent. Location is perfect. Four days of fishing; came home with 100 lbs of Sockeye Salmon.
The Owners (Mike and Mark) are very entertaining.

Canby, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

I thought it couldn't get any better, and it did! This was my 3rd "once in a lifetime" fishing trip, and this time it was to Tower Rock Lodge. Traveled with 2 of my very best friends and we all had a fantastic time. We stayed in cabin #3, down at the end of the path. The cabin was perfect, and the staff kept the place spotless! The beds were very comfortable, and we never ran out of hot water! Mike and Mark were perfect hosts that made sure we were happy, comfortable and well fed! Speaking of the food, I don't think I've eaten that much or that good in quite some time! My hats off to the kitchen staff for keeping us happy and making great meals at all hours of the night and day. Our fishing guides were the best I have had in all my fishing trips! They knew the rivers and were very polite and friendly. I can't wait to book my 4th "once in a lifetime" trip (back at Tower Rock Lodge!). Thanks guys!

Room Tip: Cabins are great!