“A jewel of a hotel in Juneau” 5 of 5 stars

Stay 2X get $50 gift card
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Juneau
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Tynemouth, UK
“A jewel of a hotel in Juneau”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2011

My wife and I stayed here in June 11

Location: close to airport but no noise at all / 20 minutes drive from town.

Hotel: this is an old Southern American style house converted into a hotel. Pure luxury. The rooms are beautiful. Most if not all have a jucuzi. Your wife or girlfriend will think she has fallen into heaven.

Restaurant: yes / good value / superb chef

Breakfast: excellent

Internet: not avaialble. You must use the Best Western hotel close by

Whats around you: little. Some cheap and cheerful cafes for a meal.

Downside: far from Juneau. But,..the hotel has a shuttle van that runs regular trips into Juneau and return. Pay the driver a tip of $5 each way per couple.

Staff: excellent. Young students or other. Very good.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Seattle, WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2011

Stayed here just a few days ago and it's everything I expected for the price we were paying and for the reviews we've read. The feather beddings are nice, however I think the hotel room is kind of cramped, for 2 people.

Love the 24 hr shuttle to the airport but dislike the limited hr shuttle to Downtown in the summer. Shouldn't they extend the hours til like 10pm or so when the sun doesn't even set in Alaska at 7pm in the summer? The wifi was there which was nice and particularly the jacuzzi which was a bonus. And hey, it fits a 6 footer man which was perfect for my partner.

Now, the breakfast ... I saw there was 'Continental' already served on the table, then the staff presented us a menu with prices on it. I thought it was included in the hotel amenities? Why was there a price on the menu? My bf was hesitant to order, but I did order something for myself anyway not thinking about the 'price'. The breakfast menu is really tricky, they were not clear whether we're billed for it, or not. A hotel guest may be hesitant to order something when you see a 'price' on it when in fact "breakfast included" is written on the hotel's amenities.

Now I heard they put a price because not every room/reservation offers breakfast. This is really confusing and not fair to the customer to present a service that seems vauge. Yes, I shd have asked, but I why shd I when I expected there shd be breakfast like most of Best Western hotels I've stayed.

Nevertheless, if you want a nice place outside JNU, this is it. But ask clearly about the breakfast.

Gustavus, Alaska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2011

We flew into Juneau for a quick one night stay. We debated on a few of the hotels located next to the airport, most ranging from 100-150$. We decided to spend an extra 30$ and go with this Best Western: Grandma's Feather Beds. However, it is not your typical Best Western and operates more as a bed and breakfast. Adorable on the outside and in! We were extremely happy with our stay. The room was huge and included an enormous jacuzzi tub (apparently, they are in every room). It also had a large (like the name says) feather bed that was so comfortable we didn't want to leave our room.

The staff was very friendly and inviting, and the complementary shuttle to and from the airport was on time and efficient. The restaurant inside the b & b was kitschy and delicious. We went for the mexican dishes and had the chimichanga and cheese enchiladas both reasonably priced and huge proportions. Breakfast was included in our room price and was humongous we couldn't even come close to finishing it! The only down side is the restaurant is that it does not serve any alcohol. However, you are about a 10 minute walk from a Safeway if you want to enjoy a bottle of wine in your tub or bed like we did :)

Overall, highly reccomend this hotel/b&b! We have stayed at the Alaskan, Super 8, and the hostel in Juneau and this one is well worth it's reasonable price.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 132 and LOVED it!
North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2011

Grandma's Feather Bed lives up to all the positive reviews it has received. The rooms are great with the feather bed, whirpool, and overall decor. The other highlights for us were the charming young staff members and the excellent restaurant. We only stayed for two nights but ate two breakfasts, one lunch, and two dinners there. We enjoyed some of the best food we have ever eaten in a restaurant. Favorites included the beer battered halibut, fried chicken, and Carolina chicken. We highly recommend it for lodging and food.

Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Chicago, IL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2011

My husband and I picked this hotel in Juneau over the others because of the good reviews. I know that Juneau isn't a place to find great lodging so I suppose that relatively this might be an OK hotel experience. But that said, it really needs some TLC to move it from average to special.

First, I'll start with the positives: Friendly and accomodating staff. They moved us when we requested it and were always happy to be of service. (It should be noted that the staff is comprised of university students from a college in the lower 48...so what you don't get in hotel "expertise" is made up by their upbeat attitude and a good level of competence). One of our shuttle drivers gave us excellent advice on where to eat and what to see. Speaking of shuttles, the hotel does offer a shuttle service to and from the airport, as well as several scheduled trips downtown and back over the day). The airport is near by the hotel but downtown Juneau is about 20-25 minutes away. I liked being outside of downtown Juneau because the downtown gets mobbed when the cruise ships are in.

We found the rooms spacious and quiet (altho' the jacuzzis in other rooms can be heard). Friends of ours who stayed here on the second floor found the rooms noisy, though. I liked the jacuzzi in the room, because it was nice to soak after a long day hiking the Juneau area.

Breakfast was plentiful with a lot of options. The hours of breakfast were quite long, to allow for early risers and sleep-ins. The beds were comfortable, but do have added height to them to give them an "old-timey" feel. I think they could lose that feature. Nice towels and an abundance of them.

Now for the weaknesses:
The rooms are cut up in crazy fashion with extra stairs and banisters and "fake" windows that look out on to the hallway (?). This place built as a specialty hotel to look like an old fashioned house, but the room layouts are just weird. The carpets and all the furnishings are quite worn. We had a nice quilt in one room, but the other rooms we were in had quilts that looked overly washed and tired. The decor, and in fact, the concept of the hotel comes straight out of the 80's with too many fussy, dust-catching details, peach and green color scheme and pine-y furniture. New carpets and window treatments could help a lot to spruce the place up.

While the breakfasts were fine, I would absolutely discourage people to dine at the hotel for dinner. Since there were a number of favorable reviews for the restaurant, we decided to try it. Everything seems to come out of a can or frozen food container. And what kind of restaurant serves sweet fry bread as an appetizer? I had the pasta, and I swear that it was frozen Buitoni with stale pre-shredded parmesan on top. The rolls were store-bought Walmart-style. All I can say is that downtown Juneau has a few really good and fun restaurants with some great fish dishes, like The Hanger . Don't miss those! If you don't want to go downtown, the Travelodge just down the road has a Mexican restaurant which isn't too bad, and it has a wide menu and a bar.

All of that said, in the future, I'd probably stay at the Travelodge and just expect an average experience, rather than come to this hotel. It just didn't warrant the extra money we spent. However, southeastern Alaska is the star here, not the hotels.

Canandaigua, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2011

Grandma's is a wonderful place. We stayed for three nights here and absolutely loved it. I do not think I have ever had a bigger room ( room 201). Everything felt new and clean. The beds actually do have down feather beds on top as well as down pillows. Very, very nice. All of the staff was friendly and helpful. The breakfast was very nice. We did not have a chance to eat dinner hear, but the menu looked nice and I heard from other guests that the food was good (and reasonably priced). We used the hotel shuttle the first two days and rented a car the third to go to some places out of town. I think you could get by just with the shuttle and using the city bus, but the car gave us the greatest flexibility.

Be sure to take the Adventure Bound Tracy Arm trip if you can. It was the highlight of our two week trip in Alaska as was our stay at Grandma's.

Room Tip: I think all rooms would be great.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Apeldoorn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2011

Large rooms with very nice decor, tub (jacuzzi!) in rooms, excellent beds, clean, friendly staff, good breakfast. Only a pity that no wine is served in the restaurant, but there is a good wine- and beer serving restaurant nearby (Travelodge). Far away from the center, but just take the bus (30 minutes service during daytime). Very recommendable hotel.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends

Been to BEST WESTERN Grandma's Feather Bed? Share your experiences!