“On the two different dates we stayed at the Juneau Super 8...” 2 of 5 stars

Super 8 Motel - Juneau
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   2295 Trout Street, Juneau, AK 99801   |
Ranked #12 of 16 Hotels in Juneau
Anchorage
“On the two different dates we stayed at the Juneau Super 8...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

On the two different dates we stayed at the Juneau Super 8, the room did not have a screen on the window. The first time the maintenance worker did bring a screen up to us. The second time, we had to go get the screen ourselves and put it in. It was so warm in the rooms that the window had to be kept open. However, this allowed cigarette smoke from the room below to come in. Luckily, we travel with our on fan. The hotel should have those provided. Also had very long waits for the shuttles. The only reason I would recommend anyone stay there is because it is the best price in town that we can find. It is a very noisy hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Super 8

Super8Juneau, General Manager at Super 8 Motel - Juneau, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Thank you for taking your time to review our property. We were sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stays with us. I did want to mention that our hotel does offer fans to guests, all you have to do is ask. Unfortunately the town of Juneau, Alaska really doesn't use air conditioning and we do recognize that we've had some very warm days this summer season and our rooms can get warm, requiring the window to stay open to bring in the fresh air.

My apologies that your second visit not only brought you the same issue with a window screen missing, but that it was not resolved quickly for you. I do remember the request and it should have been handled immediately.

And please know, we do recognize that this season we have had a couple of peak period concerns with the shuttle timeliness. Our town is lucky that another airline has joined the existing one that brings guests to us...however their arrival times were arranged to be at the same time plus we have a ferry in a few days a week (also at the same time period). This has caused some headaches not only for area hotels shuttle service but also taxi services, and the timeliness they can provide at those times as well. Rest assured we are working as quickly as we can (engaging both our shuttle and taxis) during these peak periods. As we look forward to our next summer season, determining how to avoid this concern, especially if the same ferry/flight arrival times are utilized, will be a high priority for us.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your concerns, it is truly appreciated.

(907) 789-4858

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Prague, Czech Republic
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

The rooms are large and beds are comfy. Also the complimentary breakfast is good. The motel is located close to the airport and is on the way from the ferry to downtown. We reserved two rooms but to our surprise the receptionist informed us that our reservation was changed to only one from. We arrived to the hotel at 1 am and the hotel was fully booked. The receptionist was not really helpful in this situation and did not offer any solution. We decided to stay in one room and asked for an extra bed.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review. I am very sorry to hear of the situation you experienced during your recent stay with us. It should not have occurred. I would really like to know more details, if you have the time to share them with me. Please rest assured, I will address our front desk staff to ensure this type of situation does not happen again. My sincere apologies and I hope that this did not hamper your trip and the time spent here too much.

super8jun@gmail.com
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

I spend an average of about 50 nights a year in a hotel room and can honestly say this is the worst hotel I have stayed in in the past several years. While the staff was courteous, there is little they could do to make up for the condition of this property. Filthy would be an understatement, the bed spread had several burn marks/holes and the box spring was so filthy it was just plain gross. I guess I expected more from a Wyndham property.

Room Tip: Choose another property.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your review although we are sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay with us. We are not going to disagree with you about the condition of our hotel. It is older and definitely needs updating, to which we have already started to do (the bedspread you mention has been removed.) Our housekeepers work very hard at ensuring you arrive to a clean room but it is hard to see that sometimes, given the age of the furnishings.

Our new property owner will be refurbishing the hotel so by this time next year, we will look like a completely different hotel. Our staff is very excited to get everything done and to share the updates with all of our guests. In the meantime, we do offer a clean, comfortable stay at one of the lowest prices in town with complimentary amenities such as a continental breakfast, shuttle service and wi-fi.

Thank you again.

Kalamazoo, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

The pros are the shuttle, pretty good b'fast, comfortable bed, and friendly staff. The cons are tired and somewhat rundown feel to the place. My room was remodeled it seems, but some of the lights didn't work, the bathtub was worn; there were bits of debris on the bed sheets (not bugs), unwelcome perfumy smell in the halls. The carpeting may have been chosen not to show dirt, but unfortunately just looked dirty. Stayed two nights, but after the first night, no cleaning or maid service--appears the room was forgotten. Got an unwelcome wake-up call at 4:30 am, the first night--didn't ask for one.
It is an easy walk to a bus stop for downtown Juneau or Mendenhall glacier (though one has to walk a mile or so to the glacier still.) Fred Meyer is an easy walk too.

Room Tip: The front rooms face the road and traffic is noisy, especially if you open the windows. Can't r...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Super8Juneau, General Manager at Super 8 Motel - Juneau, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
Thank you the time for sharing your feedback. We are sorry to hear about the issues you experienced while staying at our hotel. First, my apologies that you experienced a couple of concerns with your room during your stay. If you have have the opportunity, I would appreciate a few more moments of your time so I can research the situation and address it properly. Additionally, I will address the housekeeping staff overall.

We also wanted to acknowledge that we are aware of the carpet needing to be replaced and rest assured, we will be doing so in the very near future as we are preparing to be refurbished. Our hope that when it's completed, you will take the opportunity to come visit us again.

Thank you again for the feedback. We appreciate the opportunity to hear from our guests!

Shorewood, MN.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

Very basic motel. Reasonably clean rooms/property except for the windows, which were so filthy that you could hardly see out of them.. Beds very hard, as were pillows. The best thing about this motel is the staff. They went above and beyond for me. Taxis are difficult to come by in Juneau and when the manager( Nicole) tried to call one for me and was told it could be a couple of hours before one could come, she asked her airport van driver to take me to my destination downtown, which is a 9 mile drive. Very grateful for the service.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Bellingham, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

This has been the worst stay I have ever had. The staff was very rude and used a lot of profanity along with making the guest wait for service. They did not have uniforms and the staff stayed on site and would come to the lobby in pajamas. Our keys kept deactivating and we would have to keep getting them reprogramed everyday. The staff said it was our fault because we put the keys next to our cell phones or credit cards. This couldn't be true because we left one in the room instead of taking with us to see if it was true after the first day, but still all our keys still deactivated. Our beds had brown stains on them and housekeeping came into our room even though we had a no service sign on our door. On another occurrence when I asked for new towels from the housekeeper in the hall she told me they didn't have anymore because they where in the wash and she didn't seem to care I needed more. Another housekeeper came down the hall and told the first housekeeper her uncle was at the front desk and off they both went. I never heard back about the towels. When I was down at the front desk another guest came in and told the front desk agent that someone had left their lights on in there car and gave them the license plate number. I was in the lobby for another half an hour and recalled the front desk agent not doing anything about the car with the lights on. Why do we give our license plate numbers at check in again? When I talked to the General Manager about what had happened she didn't seem to really care about what had happened and told me a ridiculous story her staff had told her. She said the hotel has been up for sale for a long time and she would say things are worn there and needs improvement. Seems like the staff does whatever they want and she doesn't have a clue. This was our family vacation and everything else but our hotel stay was wonderful.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
My apologies to you that your stay was not what you had hoped for...we certainly want to provide every guest with a clean, comfortable room at an affordable price. As we discussed, we couldn't provide all of the services you had wanted and you did certainly make sure you left us a poor review. Since you've done so, and as I shared with you when we talked, I'd like to address your concerns:

- First, of course I care...if I didn't care, I wouldn't have reached out to discuss the situation that occurred during your stay. And the situation in question happened late at night. Unfortunately I am not available to work a 24/7 hour shift so yes, there are some things that will occur outside of my working hours.
- The housekeeping situation has been addressed...that person is no longer working for our hotel and we are truly sorry that they didn't take care of your request immediately, as they should've done.
- Yes, we do recognize that we are in need of refurbishing...which we are preparing to do.
- Unfortunately not every guest provides us their vehicle information, even though we do ask at check in. The owner of the vehicle in question did not, and since we couldn't contact every room because of the hour, we didn't have any way to identify who the car belonged to...a guest or a guest of a guest.

And my suggestion, in the future, please do not leave your small child alone in your hotel room. My Assistant Manager, who luckily happened to be staying at our hotel, was able to come downstairs and take care of your son who came looking for his mother. We waited 15 minutes before you came back to the hotel in an effort to try to avoid contacting the authorities. While we do understand, during your conversation with us, that at the hotel you currently work at you allow your guests to do that all of the time, we simply cannot allow that to happen for the safety of the child. The numerous things that can happen are frightening and something we would never want to occur to any of our guests.

I'm sorry we had a difference of opinion and that your stay was affected as a result. We do wish you well in the future and appreciate the time you took to discuss and then share this feedback with us.

Birmingham, Alabama
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014 via mobile

I had read a review that said the Super8 was "shabby, yet functional." It had the best price and was the closest hotel to our base of operation. My expectations were not high. The room was quite stuffy upon our arrival, but the stale odor was gone after a few hours of having the window open. Our room was on the back side. With the window open, the traffic noise was noticeable until late into the night. The room would not have been comfortable without opening the window as there is no air conditioning. Our friend whose room was on the front side said that he heard people coming and going all night. The beds were comfortable. I do not believe our sheets were changed during our ten day stay. We had to ask for clean towels several times. The breakfast was basic with no deviation. It was adequate. The gentleman who manned the breakfast area was friendly and attentive. I did not expect much and was not disappointed. I think I would probably try another place if I returned.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Super 8 Motel - Juneau? Share your experiences!