“Hotel was too hot. Most rooms had the windows wide open to...” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan Ahead and Save 15%
Ranked #10 of 16 Hotels in Juneau

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Philadelphia, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

I'd probably give this hotel 3 1/2 stars if I could. Four stars would suggest I'd actually "recommend it," which seems a bit of a stretch.

First, the property is fine. It's basically a decent budget hotel, but in Juneau -- especially in the summer -- "budget hotels" can be quite expensive. Don't expect to get your money's worth, at least compared to value in the Lower 48. That's impossible in Juneau, and you'll be disappointed. If you have points in the Wyndham Rewards program, I'd recommend you use them.

The staff is friendly and helpful, and that's a big plus. Manager Rachel went "above and beyond" to help us with a reservation problem, and we greatly appreciated it.

Rooms are of different sizes, but are generally large enough. Some rooms have useful refrigerators and microwaves, and some don't. Ask for an equipped room if you need it. Beds are OK, but not great. Rooms seem clean enough, but some of the furniture, especially the chairs, can look a bit gnarly.

The free breakfast is terrible, but that's generally the case in all Super 8's. You can make some toast, get a low quality packaged Danish, have some basic cereal, yogurt and fruit cup, and that's about it. After a day, you'll make other arrangements. Heck, in a pinch you can go next door to McDonalds. For a dollar, you can get a sausage biscuit that is, sadly, a zillion times better than the hotel's breakfast.

I like the location of the hotel -- especially if you have a car. It's basically within walking distance of the airport and is central to everything, especially shopping. The only thing the location is not ideal for is downtown, which is still only about 10 minutes away on a fast road. I didn't utilize it, but their free shuttle around town would certainly be useful if you didn't have a vehicle.

Bottomline, this is an acceptable place to stay, and you should certainly consider it. But it's nothing more than basic accommodations, so keep your expectations in check.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Juneau
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

With the switchover, poor breakfast service. Kid was on cell phone or not there. Glad he left supply door open to restock napkins, coffee cups, etc. I wiped off our table and counter tops, One evening about 8:39 pm, housekeeping (3 people) used their pass key attempting to enter our room, no knocking, no apology. Glad we used the security chain as usual. Computer problems.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Super 8

Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

Standard rooms, clean, and low-cost, free wi-fi. Convenient with free shuttle to and from the airport, ferry, and downtown (the website indicates there is a charge for this, but it’s free). Stop at the information desk at the airport and have them call the hotel. If the shuttle isn’t running, they’ll arrange for a taxi to collect you at their cost, pulling up and asking for you by name.

There’s a McDonald’s and a convenience store in the same parking lot and Fred Meyer is about a mile away, an easy walk on a path that runs parallel to Glacier Hwy. Hotel manager friendly and helpful. It’s great if you are on a layover or planning to visit Mendenhall. I left before breakfast opened at 6am, so can’t speak to that.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Gainesville
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

While the hotel staff were nice, the noise that we experienced during our stay left us very tired and unrested... If you stay at this hotel DO NOT and I repeat DO NOT stay in room #122...this room is located next to an exit to the parking lot and boy every time the door closes it sounds like someone is coming into our room...and when people are up at 3:00 to catch ferries or flights from the airport, we hardly got any sleep. Plus the room has a window that looks at the dumpster, which they came before 8:00 to pick up trash and it sounded like someone was breaking through the wall.

• Stayed June 2014
Anchorage, Alaska
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

I usually stay at the Juneau Hotel or the Frontier Suites because I like the full kitchens and laundry they offer. This time I needed a cheap room close to the ferry terminal for a night or two. Downtown hotels in the summer have super high prices and besides I was here this time passing through on the ferry and doing some shopping at Fred Meyer's. The desk staff is friendly and helpful. Upon arrival I got a room key and hauled my luggage up to the second floor only to find out it was dirty. I actually thought someone was in the room sleeping but must have left recently. So I had to haul my luggage back down to the desk, stand in line for 5 minutes and get another room assigned. So up I went again with the luggage to the third floor. It too was dirty. I was like is this for real? This time I left my stuff in the room and went back down to the desk to get another room. I told the desk staff to maybe go look at the next room to see if was clean before they send me back up there. So the desk staff did so and returned to say it was clean and apologize for the B.S.

The room was suitable, although haggard and in need of some updating. The hotels in Juneau are very hot in the summer because they don't have A/C, although this was May it was still hot in the room. There was an old TV but had a coffee maker and free "breakfast" on the weekends. It was the typical cereal, toast, yogurt and instant oatmeal. This place is inexpensive for Juneau and they accept government rates. It was also surprisingly quiet - as most Juneau hotels are in areas with loud traffic or adjacent businesses. I would stay here again if I was just in Juneau for a night or two.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Super 8 Juneau? Share your experiences!