“Amazing home away from home!” 5 of 5 stars

Driftwood Hotel
1.0 of 5 Hotel   |   435 Willougby Ave., Juneau, AK 99801   |
Ranked #10 of 16 hotels in Juneau
Hoonah, Alaska
“Amazing home away from home!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

We, my disabled son, 81 yr young Mom and I travel to Juneau many times a year. This past year my Mom had taken a fall and fractured her hip. After time in Wildflower (my Mom) recovery, we stayed at the Driftwood for a month for continued out-patient recovery. We were so very impressed with the wonderful care given to us by JUNE, and ALL the amazing employees of this Motel. We have stayed here many times and always been made to feel welcome. The time during her rehab was stressful for Mom physically and the employees at this 'our home away from home' did everything possible to make the stay as comfortable as possible. I will always be thankful for JUNE and all these wonderful people who go out of their way to treat their guests like FAMILY....

Room Tip: The Driftwood has an awesome 'handicapped persons suite' Excellent value on basic, 1-2 beadr...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

145 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

I had the pleasure of staying in a room above the ice machine, which the clerks would allow guests to vend at all hours of the night. The walls are cinder block, yet they were so thin that I could hear every sneeze and almost every word from the room next door. I got little sleep because he had a cold. There are only lamps in the room itself, so you have to walk into a dark room and go over to turn one on, which is very inconvenient at night in the dark. A clerk named Debbie called me at noon and asked if I was staying another night. I had asked another clerk the day before if I could have a 1pm checkout. They said yes and that they would note the account. When Debbie called my room, and I mentioned the extended checkout i had arranged, she processed to lecture me about how the other person should have told her and they didn't, and I was keeping the maids from working. Her exact words were "the maids have nothing to do, and she should have told me about this," like it was my fault. I'm sorry, she's your employee, not mine. Out of frustration i replied: dont worry, your maids will have something to do shortly when I leave. There are other accommodations available in Juneau, I recommend trying one of them.

• Stayed January 2013
Anchorage, Alaska
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I have stayed at the Driftwood Lodge in Juneau for more than 20 years however my last stay there in June 2012, is my LAST STAY. This place has not had ANY maintenance on it for the past 20 years! The rooms have the same furniture, carpet, and paint as they did 20 years ago. I prefer the suite hotels with full kitchens during my trips to Juneau. My room had a broken window that did not close and I was concerned that anyone could put their arm through it and open up the door and enter my room at anytime. It is super noisy - all the time and all night long. In fact at 3 AM the fire alarm sounded - no fire but an inconvenience none the less. The TV was smeared with some nasty white snot (?)...I had to clean it just to watch TV. There were bugs - I don't know what kind...in the bedroom furniture and on the bedroom carpet. I also got a super nasty head and sinus infection towards the end of my stay - I believe I caught a virus off the dirty TV remote. Unfortunately this is one of the cheapest places to stay in Juneau during the summer time and it's central downtown location is hard to beat. I would suggest paying a little more for the Juneau Hotel, just down the street a few more blocks.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Sitka, Alaska, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

When we first got there we were bounced from room to room because our tv didn't work, there was an elderly guy in a room that they assigned us, and then we got woken up after one hour of sleep to be moved to another room. Then to top it off there is a Alaskan native lady that works the front desk named June (I am Alaska Native as well) and she yelled at me, pretty much called me stupid for not knowing where to flip a switch to get the tv to work and then taunting me to call her boss in the morning to report her bad behavior and said that nothing would be done about it anyways! It was thee worst customer service I have ever seen in my life and they didn't even care. I have written the boss and they have not written back to me, but I felt so mistreated and I will never go back there unless I absolutely needed to. I think the only thing good about that hotel (if you can call it that because people were living there with their dogs and had xmas lights up and it felt like a flop house) is the location. We were able to make it down town in no time at all and there was a store right next door. But the lady named June was sooo mean and made me cry! I am just so appalled by her behavior, so be careful if you go there, try to not to get her as your desk clerk, she is no help whatsoever!

Room Tip: There is no Wifi and we didn't have a deadbolt lock on our door which would come in handy if the...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Sunnyvale, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Hotel is clean with good location to restaurants. Also we were able to take glacier tours by just walking to the starting point. Also they were courteous to give us extra tea bags. They also arranged free airport-lodge transfer.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

The Driftwood Lodge was a fairly average motel. Rooms are accessed from outside stairways but reasonably comfortable. The hotel is located right in the middle of downtown Juneau and quite cheap.

Unfortunately, the ferry docks are not located in downtown Juneau; they are located some 30 minutes away by driving. Thankfully, the Driftwood offers a free shuttle to the ferry (and airport) with a very friendly driver who was willing to wait for me when I was a few minutes late.

There was one incident where an intruder (who turned out to be the guest downstairs) pounded on my door repeatedly demanding I come out at 2 AM, forcing me to call security; they confronted him and he retreated to his room not to return.

I'd recommend staying at the Driftwood if you travel to Juneau; doubly so if you're arriving/departing by ferry as the city buses don't go out that far.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Alaska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

Whenever I have visited Juneau, Alaska, for business or personal business in the last 30 years, I stayed at the Driftwood Lodge. Great Downtown location near: the State Office Bldg., the Federal Office Bldg., The State Museum, a large grocery store, Centennial Hall (concerts, exhibitions, etc), several restaurants, a City bus stop. There is shuttle service to the airport and the state ferry terminal. The staff is friendly and helpful. The rooms are decent, with coffee-makers. The prices are very reasonable. The building is well-maintained. The Driftwood Lodge is an excellent value.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Driftwood Hotel? Share your experiences!