“Holiday review give it a try” 4 of 5 stars

Breakwater Inn
1711 Glacier Ave., Juneau, AK 99801   |
Ranked #15 of 16 Hotels in Juneau
Burnie, Australia
“Holiday review give it a try”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

We are from australia and decided to try this hotel even though the reviews were iffy but we wanted something cheap I found the staff most helpful and friendly when I rang from the airport and enquired about a shuttle they were only too happy to come get us. Carpets cld do with good clean in our room but what I liked was the room was spacious we had king bed didnt worry me that all the light over the bathroom didnt work 2 out of 6 did which was fine its about 20 mins walk into town but what I must rave about is the meal we had there was fantastic so if u don't want anything flash give it a go

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Juneau, Alaska
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

** It is an older building built in the 1960's & decor a little dated (i was told will be renovated as soon as they can, considering it is peak season & hard to do when the hotel is fully booked) **My room is very Clean & there is plenty of hot water, unlike other hotels in the downtown area (speaking from experience)
** Housekeeper & Staff (Robyn,Crystal,& Josh) are very prompt & accommodating.
** NEW OWNERS ARE AWESOME & working hard to update/improve everything they can for the Old Famous Breakwater Hotel.
** Costumer Service is Great, & Friendly.
** I love that you can walk any where to the downtown area! & still come back to your own comfy space to reflect on the remains of the day.
** Hotel is also on the bus route north/south bound for those wanting to go to the Mendenhall Glacier, shopping at the Nugget Mall, even to Fred Meyer's for snacks, or even just to hop on to ride the route to take in the sites. you can also transfer to the Douglas Bus to go to the Sandy Beach area to Hike the Treadwell Mine Trails.
**plenty accessibility & endless options !
*** i plan on coming back for my next stay.

Room Tip: waterside beautiful view with a balcony (highway is on this side & can be a bit noisy), mountain...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Baltimore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014 via mobile

I only stayed here one night and my experience was really good. Managers Crystal and Josh together provided top notch customer service and were both very hospitable including transport from the airport. They just started managing the hotel a few months ago, but are working on fixing up the outside appearance. Would definitely recommend Breakwater for their customer service and cleanliness:)

• Stayed June 2014
Wasilla
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014 via mobile

I had to stay here. Came in for a business trip and this was the last room in town. Half the room is a dirty jacuzzi and no shower ! TV is from 1984. Slept on top of the blankets. Didn't want to chance it!

• Stayed June 2014
Sitka, Alaska
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

I feel like this hotel has gone downhill in the last few years. My husband and I travel to Juneau at least once a year and have for several years. In the beginning, this hotel wasn't the best or the nicest, but at least it was clean and somewhat maintained. It's always been one of the cheaper hotels in town and for less than $100 a night we couldn't complain too much.

However, this last Thanksgiving we decided to give them one more chance. Unfortunately, this hotel has declined rapidly in both customer service and cleanliness. One of the ceiling tiles in our room was completely missing, exposing wires and probably 20 years' worth of mold and dirt. In the bathroom, most of the lightbulbs were burned out. The curtains in the room were broken and extremely difficult to open and close. Although our room was "non-smoking", every time the vent kicked on our room filled with the smell of cigarettes. Even the TV looked like it hadn't been upgraded since the 80's.

We're generally pretty easy going people when it comes to cheap hotels, we don't expect/ask for much, but on this particular trip, our room was not serviced a single time. The first full day we were there, we came back from shopping and expected, at the very least, clean towels and a made-up bed. However, the room had not been touched. We went to the front desk and let them know nobody had cleaned our room, and requested a set of fresh towels. The girl at the desk was nice enough and apologized that our room hadn't been cleaned, so we expected that the situation would be remedied the next day.

The next day, after being gone most of the morning/afternoon, we returned once again to...absolutely nothing having been done to our room. No clean towels, no made bed, not even a fresh packet of coffee.

The 3rd day? You guessed it. Our room still had not been touched.

Upon checkout on the 4th day, we informed the front desk yet again that our room had not been cleaned a single time during our entire visit and asked if we could please have a discount, since part of the package when you pay for a hotel room is a basic level of service/cleanliness. The girl informed us that it wasn't up to her, apologized, and said she'd call the owner and give us a call later in the day if there was something that could be done.

Three weeks later and, you guessed it, no phone call.

That will be the last time we stay at the Breakwater Inn. Between the completely run-down rooms, the cigarette smell, the lack of any kind of maid service whatsoever and an owner that obviously only cares about the income from long-term residents of the hotel, they clearly don't need our business. Too bad.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Half Moon Bay, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

If you're planning in staying here, don't. Stay anywhere you can, but do yourself, and your future health a favor and sleep in your car if you need to.
This is by a huge margin the worst hotel I've ever stayed at. I knew I may have a problem the moment I stepped into the lobby. Run by a trio of misfits you may find in a dead-beat bar at the far end of town, throwing down shots to the local drunks. The so called manager, a self acclaimed bad&$$ appeared to have just rolled out of bed, unshaven with a distinct odor of 'I just don't bathe very often!' What this guy knows about hospitality is scary. Lobby was pretty much a reflection of the manager, really dirty, stained, and in need of a change.
You'll know you're in a flee bag hotel on your way to your room, trust me. Many of the rooms on the lobby level are taken by long term tenants. Clearly the last resort for some.
The room was absolutely disgusting. I can stomach the dirt bag manager and the other stuff, but the room needs to be somewhat clean. There were missing tiles in the ceiling, stains on the walls, hair including pubic hairs in the bathroom. Vanity light bulbs out, leaks from the bathroom on the higher floors. The bed was probably 15 years old, lumpy with a distinct sag. The room had no air conditioning, with the outside temp too hot to close the window. The room had a door to a deck, but almost a common deck. Unfortunately, most of the tenants are smokers, and with the decks being small, your windows open, they may as well be smoking in the room.
I struggled through the first night, but decided to leave in the morning. This was way too much to bare. The manager refused to not charge me for the second night I was booked in for. He would not give me the owners email, but did give me the hotel email, hello! He basically ripped me off, and refused to allow me to go upstream.
Spend the extra money and get a real, clean, safe place to stay

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Los Gatos, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

There is good reason this inn is ranked #15 out of 16 hotels in Juneau (16 being the worst). I checked into this hotel in May. The room was filthy (dirty curtains and bed spreads) and reeked of smoke. I asked for another room, but was told there were none available. I actually had to leave the room/hotel after being in the room for 20 minutes (the smoke smell affected my asthma). I asked for a refund, but was denied. I would not recommend this inn to anyone visiting the Juneau area. It's sad to see this establishment in such poor shape. I am a frequent visitor to Juneau and I remember when the Breakwater was a great place to stay and the restaurant a good place to dine.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to Breakwater Inn? Share your experiences!