“Disappointing accommodations but friendly staff” 2 of 5 stars

Juneau Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1200 West 9th Street, Juneau, AK 99801   |
Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Juneau
Charleston, West Virginia
“Disappointing accommodations but friendly staff”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

First, the staff was wonderful and very friendly; however, the amenities ended there. My wife and I traveled to Juneau to run a race and we learned quickly that the advertised courtesy airport pickup ended at a certain time. Indeed, our return trip to the airport also was too early. Our trip to the actual race at 9 am did not qualify as well: the courtesy travel was nonexistent. The room was very drab and outdated. I don't have complaints about the cleanliness, but there was no carpet and the tile flooring was cold. Moreover, the staff did not change our linens or refill the coffee service. The topper was the the soothing crooning of a drunk sitting and singing outside our bedroom window in some overgrown weeds comforted us as we tried to sleep our first night there. Wife and I walked downtown each day which was probably a mile away and wasn't a bad walk, just not a pretty walk.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Wanaka, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

Not in the best location, you do need a car to visit downtown, about 5 minutes drive. Apartment was clean and comfortable with a separate bedroom. We didn't notice the noise from the bridge and found the kitchen reasonably equipped, though lacking a toaster. The laundry facility was most useful.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Littleton, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

We stayed here on a recent trip to Juneau for 2 nights and had a third night scheduled after a trip to another town on a return trip (more about that later).

We were picked up at the airport by the courtesy shuttle which was quick since the airport is about 10 minutes away from the hotel. We then checked in and were assigned room 1408. We entered the room which is at the end of the hall on the first floor. We quickly discovered that this was an ADA room, which was a disappointment since we were not informed when we made the reservation 5 months in advance. If I would have known that we would be in an ADA room, I probably would have stayed elsewhere. I would have been fine with the ADA room if it was designed correctly as I have stayed in ADA rooms before. The MAJOR design flaw was that the shower was located between the toilet and the sink with no shower curtain!! That means, when you take a shower, the entire bathroom floor gets wet. REALLY, REALLY inconvenient for anyone who uses the bathroom after someone takes a shower. Adding a shower head seemed to be an after thought based on the configuration. We also speculate that the room was a converted meeting/conference room. This was evident with the fluorescent lighting and the big GREEN ILLUMINATED EXIT SIGN. This made it a little challenging to sleep with the bright green glow. I also have to note that the room was at the end of the hall which was the closest to a major street intersection. This would have probably been ok if we didn't need to open the windows, but we did since the room was very warm when we checked in (no A/C). So, we took the traffic noise in-lieu of having a hot room to sleep in. The concrete floors (no carpet) were also cold in the morning which helped to wake us up. The only positive thing that I can say about this room is that the beds were comfortable and the room appeared clean. It was definitely not a Suite as advertised. What also irritated me was that after we checked out the room, we went to the front desk and requested to be relocated. She indicated that the hotel was sold out and we could not move, but when we checked in, they pulled out our room key from a group of at least 8 rooms. My assumption was that they gave us this room as here were two guys that could probably stick it out. At $200 a night, we were not about to stick it out.

The next morning, we requested to be relocated to another room and were accommodated. We were given a room on the third floor and was a vast improvement (although any room had to be better than 1408). This room too was a little warm and faced the intersection so we again kept our windows open all night. Fortunately, we were pretty tired from our activities during the day and the noise from the traffic was tolerable. This room was a true suite with a separate room for the beds and had carpet!!! The room was clean and had the amenities that were advertised on the website.

The breakfast was very minimal with coffee, fruit and packaged pastries. I would not rely on this food if you need a full stomach.

The hotel itself is also about a mile from downtown where all the shops and restaurants are located and was walkable (about 20 minutes or so).

I mentioned previously that we had a third night reserved, well, we cancelled that reservation and stayed at a Best Western that was closer to the airport (I have a separate review for that).

The staff was not friendliest, nor the rudest. It also seemed that their computers were always down and a lot of new staff was being trained while we were there.

My recommendation to management would be to ONLY use room 1408 for disabled individuals. Really, this room should be converted back to a meeting room.

Since this was my first trip to Juneau, I learned a lot about the town. Next time, I will stay a hotel that is closer to downtown and not next to a major intersection. If you do decide to stay here, I would recommend a room that faces away from the intersection. I did not make the reservation and I did not review it on trip advisor prior to my trip (lesson learned).

Room Tip: Do not stay in room 1408 and get a room that faces away from the intersection.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

What a pleasant surprise to find a diamond in the rough! Beautiful hotel. The staff, especially Monique, were extremely professional, friendly and went above and beyond to make my stay a great one. The corner room on the 3rd floor was a great place to watch the fireworks.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Paradise, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014 via mobile

We went to several places in Alaska and stayed in many places. This was by far way over the top as far as we were concerned. There is not one thing that our HUGE room was lacking. It felt like we were staying in an apartment. The continental breakfast was pretty poor but we had a full sized fridge, oven, stove, dishwasher, washer and dryer, etc. The location is not ideal, but we took a taxi into town and it was not real expensive. I would never think of staying anywhere else if I am ever in Juneau again. LOVED this place. I've never had a hotel room quite like it!

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

We spent 2 nights at this hotel. Our very large suite was on the first floor. It had a fully-equipped, clean kitchen, but overall the room was cold and uninviting. The floors were painted cement and the furnishings and bedding were dark. The worst part was the noise; being right next to the Juneau-Douglas Bridge, there was a lot of traffic noise, especially since we were there on July 3rd, and the town starts its 4th of July celebration just after midnight, when it starts to get dark. Our bathroom was odd; the shower head was right in the middle of the ceiling, so when you took a shower, the water would completely soak the bathroom! The other annoying feature was that the room opened directly to the outside, which meant there was a very bright green "exit" sign that remained illuminated throughout the night. My mother was assigned a room, but when she went in, it was occupied by another (amorous) couple. We eventually figured out, to avoid the same thing happening to my mom, that you can lock the door by pushing the handle up, so that even someone with a key can't get in. Our kids were up on the 3rd floor, so we had family on every level! The hotel is a good mile from downtown, and the "grab n' go" continental breakfast was pitiful. They had coffee with flavored creamers only, some very ripe bananas, and various anemic pastries packaged in plastic scattered in groups on the counter (with labels, as if we didn't know a coffee cake from a danish!). Next time, I'd splurge and go with the higher-rated hotels.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Paradise, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

We loved our rooms(s). This is an all suite hotel with plenty of room for a family. Full sized washer and dryer, huge bedroom with 2 beds and a walk in closet, huge kitchen with lots of cabinets and everything provided (utensils, dishes, etc.), large handicap accessible bathroom, convertible sofa, desk, comfortable swivel chairs and TVs in both the living room and the bedroom. They have a continental breakfast of coffee, sweet rolls and fruit, which was fine for us. The staff did have some bickering going on at one point which was a little embarrasing, but overall they were friendly. We did not have a car so we had a taxi since it was not real close to downtown. Overall, we loved staying there and would go back again if we are ever in the Juneau are again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Been to Juneau Hotel? Share your experiences!