“Delicious and great service” 5 of 5 stars

+(1)907-790-9889
Improve this listing
Ranked #34 of 103 restaurants in Juneau
Cuisines: American, Indian
Description: North Indian cuisine featuring grilled meats as well as vegetarian dishes and other specialties from Southeast Alaska's only tandoor clay oven, including naan and other breads. Indian lunches and dinners, and American breakfast featuring omelets and scrambled eggs.Breakfast 6-9 a.m.; lunch 11 a.m.-2:30 p.m.; dinner 5-11 p.m., 7 days per week. Full bar opens 5 p.m. Take-out orders welcome.
“Delicious and great service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

Went in for a late dinner, there weren't many tables so service was super attentive and helpful, both the waitress (she went over the entire menu with us) and bartender. The food was awesome and came out pretty quick. The chef even came out to see how everything was. We told him how much we loved it, especially the fresh garlic naan, and he came back out with a complimentary double order to go! Will definitely be back.

75% Recommend
Juneau, Alaska
“My mouth is still watering!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

The food is so good, I loved the Tandoori Chicken and somehow we ordered extra Chicken Curry which became my "brunch" at home for a couple of days.....naan was yummy...can't wait to go back.

Visited September 2013
Anchorage, Alaska, United States
“Oh, the possibilities...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

THIS PLACE HAS POTENTIAL!!! Whoever is cooking the food knows their stuff. I travel internationally, enjoying Indian food all over, and the food I had last night was impressive. As I was visiting Juneau, not sure if their regular full wait staff was out on an emergency but having only one 'mature' person to cover that number of tables didn't work. Her heartfelt apologies regarding how long it took to get water and silverware, how long it took to get our food (which came out very tasty but not hot), how long it took to get our bill, and how long it took to run our credit card - all got a little old. Looking around, it was obvious that there were some other diners who expected a slightly higher level of service. Bar service (which had to be paid separately) was prompt - perhaps the bar tender could be enlisted to help wait tables (for a price) when the restaurant starts to fill. As you read most of the comments, the same thread runs through them - the food is very good. The single waitress is a very nice person but this treasure will crash and burn without better service.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
florida
“Authentic Indian Food....Yummy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

My husband and I ate at the Clay Oven 2 nights in a row. The food is tasty and with ample portions. I had the tandoori chicken and curried lamb. My husband had the Lamb Saag and chicken curry. The naan is excellent. We met the chef and discussed our likes and food allergies and he was more than willing to alter his menu to please. The menu changes almost daily depending on his fresh market finds. The chai is absolutely delicious. The bartender, Nancy, is a wealth of information on things to see and do in Juneau. We would definitely try this place again when in Juneau.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
New York
“Mediocre Indian”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

Based on reviews here I decided to give Clay Oven a try. I had a hard time finding it, even with GPS, as it is actually part of the Frontier Hotel. I was totally ignored when I walked in and had to seek out someone to get seated and then had to call her over again to get a menu, as she was too busy cleaning tables to wait on me. The menu was really just a typed piece of paper, with no explanations of what things were. I ordered a special combination plate. The chicken curry was passable, but the rest of the dishes were pretty awful. The dal was the consistency of refried beans, and the kidney bean curry tasted a lot of barbecue sauce, like baked beans from a can.
Perhaps I just ordered poorly, as the table next to me seemed very happy and even allied the chef out to compliment him. Still, next time I'd give this one a pass!

• Visited August 2013