“Best Place in Juneau for real Tlingit Art and Artifacts” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 18 Shopping in Juneau
Bloomington, Illinois
13 attraction reviews
“Best Place in Juneau for real Tlingit Art and Artifacts”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

My wife and I along with another couple visited Juneau in August of 2013. Before going to Juneau, we had spent a few days at Glacier Bay National Park. The park offered a program that included local Tlingit people discussing their culture. During our discussion with a young man whose name was given as William, we asked for a recommendation on where to get authentic high quality Tlingit art. He recommended the Mt. Juneau Trading Post.

The Mt. Juneau Trading Post is an amazing store. It is jam packed with art and artifacts. There was so much to look at, it was at first hard to focus on any one thing.

I was looking for a high quality Tlingit mask. They had an entire wall dedicated to masks plus others scattered through the store. The first ones I liked were by a famous artist and a little out of my budget but the helpful staff guided me toward younger, lesser know artists and I was able to find a great mask.

The store was expanding when we were there and it was obvious that this family owned Tlingit business was doing well. If you are looking for real Tlingit art, not the cheap tourist quality stuff you see everywhere in Alaska, this is the place for you. I was the only one in our party that had a definite purchase in mind when we went there, but everyone in the party found something to buy that day.

Visited August 2013