“Very happy local” 5 of 5 stars

Attraction Details
Juneau, Alaska
“Very happy local”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

As a resident of Juneau, I cannot tell you how impressive this company is. These guys paid such great attention to an ever changing and unpredictable weather pattern in SE AK that we were able to get some bluebird drops in a small window one afternoon. They efficiently got us 3 epic drops out of a day that was a no fly until 3pm. I know nothing of the experience they provide for tourists, but if their service is anywhere near as professional as the service we experienced that afternoon (and the wait before), then anyone staying at the lodge is sure to be happy. The guides had not only had an incredible knack for safety, operations, and weather, but the personalities we had the pleasure of experiencing were tons of fun. Down time flew by thanks to staff like Dawn, Chris, and Craig "Shaggy" Brown. As a fairly inexperienced backcountry snowboarder, I was made to feel comfortable, safe, and welcome in the world of epic Juneau Icefield powder. My only hope is that I get a chance to use Alaska Powder Descents again.

Visited March 2013
carra3, Director of Sales at Alaska Powder Descents, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Thanks Owen, we're glad you enjoyed your time with us! Hope to see you again soon!

“Best Operation in AK”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

I've heli-skied in Juneau, Haines, the Alaska Range and rode the snowcat in Girdwood. I think APD is the best combination of affordability, service, down day activities, and terrain.

APD is a much more personalized experience because they aren't running three helis and 50 guests into the field. An average day is 3-4 groups flying. That means you have a lot more say in what zones/runs interest you and your group. It also means you waste less time waiting for the heli when conditions are epic.

They have the 4-star option if you stay at the lodge, and the ski bum option if you sleep I'm your car on the highway!

carra3, Director of Sales at Alaska Powder Descents, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Sam, thanks so much for your review. Stoked to have you back out there this season!
Peterborough
“A truly special peak experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012

This was my second heli ski trip but first time skiing in Alaska. I won an opportunity to go heli-skiing at Alaska Powder Descents this year and took my Dad with me.

The experience was beyond words. Upon our arrival to the lodge after 10pm following a long journey which consisted of 3 flights from Toronto Canada, we were served a savoury pacific salmon dinner. It was one of the best we had ever had. What a great way to finish a long day of traveling.

The accommodation at the Adlersheim Wilderness Lodge was amazing with exceptional panoramic views of the surrounding Chilkat mountains. The food was superb, and the hospitality warm and welcoming. Everyone at the lodge and in Juneau were so friendly. The guides went above and beyond making us feel like part of their crew and took time to show us around the city and borough of Juneau.

The APD heli skiing experience was out of this world. Their terrain offers endless possibilities, features and aspects to ski. The snow was deep and delightful and the views are mesmerizing. I had so many goose bump moments. Our guides were very experienced and safety-minded so we knew that we were in good care.

One of the beauties about skiing with this operation is that if the heli cannot fly on any day during the season (a down day) you can still kick it in high gear with a guided day of fun at Eaglecrest, a nearby community ski area with easy access to the backcountry if you are looking to go beyond the boundaries. Our guide showed us some of his secret stashes that we likely wouldn't have discovered otherwise. Eaglecrest has a good variety of challenging terrain to explore with a laid back feel. This year it had among the highest snow bases of any ski area in North America for much of the winter. It felt much larger than the vertical drop shown on the trail map.

APD made our stay a truly special experience. I hope to make a return visit soon. I would like to try their sea kayaking and fishing at the lodge with a longer stay. We are recommending APD to everyone we meet.

Visited March 2012
Greg, we're so glad you were able to share your experience with your dad. We loved the video you posted of giving the gift of heli-skiing for the holidays. Hope to see you back again soon!
Portland, Oregon
“Beyond Words”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2011

My first trip to Alaska Powder Descents and Juneau was amazing. This was more than just a "ski trip." We certainly ski'd on some of the most breathtaking terrain, but also enjoyed staying at a breathtaking location with great staff. The facilities and guides also contributed to our remarkable experience. We'd never been able to do it without them. They really handled every detail with care. If you're a true skier(or boarder), then this is the place for you. Also, if you're a sea kayaking whale watcher who enjoys the occasional bald eagle against a background of Chilkat Mountain range, then this is the place for you also. Book now....will change your life. :)

Visited April 2011