“Dogs!!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Useful Information: Activities for older children, Lockers / storage
4 attraction reviews
“Dogs!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

I recently went on the dogsledding helicopter tour in Juneau, AK. The tour and experience were definitely once on a lifetime. Flying up to the kennel, meeting the dogs and hearing about the trainers that run the camp were amazing. Pricey but worth the money for this one time experience.

Visited July 2013
CoastalHelicopters, Manager at Coastal Helicopters, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
I'm happy to see that you had such a nice experience up at our dog camp, it looks like you got nice and cozy with your sled team. And thanks for sharing your experience with the Tripadvisor community, we're pleased to have contributed to a once in a lifetime vacation experience!

Virginia Beach, Virginia
3 attraction reviews
“WOW What an experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

It was our first time in a helicopter and dog sledding, not to mention on a glacier. It was an experience of a lifetime. We were hesitant to spend so much money on one thing when there are so many to do in Juneau, but in hindsight it was money well spent!! The people were wonderful! TIP - if you do the dogsledding in particular - wear the pants and coat they provide! We were soooo glad we did!

Visited July 2013
Thanks so much for letting everyone know how your tour went!

We do our best to make sure that everyone feels just like you did, as we know that there are MANY different tour options here in Juneau, and most of them come in quite a bit lower in price than a helicopter tour. But we do what we can to make sure you feel that every penny is well spent! Good call on the pants and jacket, that dog sled experience can get mighty chilly once you get moving.

Austin, Texas
34 attraction reviews
“Worth the $$$ - Truly Memorable -”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

I know, all these excursions are super expensive, and you are wondering what's worth it and where you can shave some of the costs. This is NOT the place to do it ! When I asked my teens what their favorite excursions were, this was one of them !

Tour Time: 6:30 PM
Booked through Alaska Galore who did my whale tour, but you could book directly.
Arrival: My previous tour company (whale watching) dropped us off here.
Company: All the workers inside were REALLY nice! Maybe some of the nicest from our our entire trip.
Clothing - If your coat isn't warm enough, they have some.
Foot gear - they will give you boots to wear that will keep you from slipping on the ice.

I brought my 3 teens. My boys sat up front with the pilot, and my daughter and me sat in the back. We buckled in and up we went-- smooth as silk. The sun was not shining; there was a light rain and the cloud cover was low; was afraid we wouldn't be able to go, but no worries here.

I can't give an account of all we did, fly, land, walk... doesn't give justice to the tour...everything looks so small. The rocks, waterfalls, mountain goats, ...everything. The snow-capped mountains, waterfalls, and green valley were amazing. We flew over Menhenhall Glacier to another glacier (can't remember name) where we actually landed - think this is their normal landing zone. We exited the chopper and walked on the glacier to see glacial streams, waterfalls and deep crevasses.

Back when I was planning the trip, my thought was, "Okay, what's so special - you are really just walking on ice?" Oh how naiive I was... The blue of the glacier, the brown of the glacier, and the crunch, crunch underneath is totally different than walking on snow or ice. It was so quiet and peaceful, and you just feel like you are part of something special.

I had also thought about ice trekking w/ a different company and was concerned this walkabout with Coastal might not be enough. Actually, it was the perfect amount of time. Loved it...Hope you enjoy your trip - it's worth it! The pics below were taken with a cheap $70 camera... but think you can get the feel...

Visited July 2013
Thank you, so much, for sharing such a detailed account of your experience! I'm glad to see that each moment with us left you with such a great impression.

We really appreciate that passengers like yourselves are working to maximize your time in port, and we're more than happy to co-ordinate tour drop offs and pick ups with other companies to make sure you don't waste a minute of your tour day. It sounds like you had an excellent glacier day, and those are some great pictures! Thanks, again, for sharing your experience with the Tripadvisor community.

Crete, Nebraska
9 attraction reviews
“Worth every penny!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

My wife was hesitant to spend the money for a helicopter glacier tour...when we got back, she said she would have paid double. Amazing experience--and we walked on the glacier. Go, or forever regret not going! Amazing views and you can't get them from the ground.

Visited July 2013
Thanks so much for taking the time to let everyone know what a great experience you had with us!

We definitely strive to make sure that your experience on the glacier is one of a kind, and something that you'll never forget! Thanks for letting us know that we hit the bull's eye.

Cypress, California, United States
3 attraction reviews
“Cancelled due to weather”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

We booked an Icefield excursion directly thru Coastal Helicopters, as it was cheaper than booking one via the cruise ship. Unfortunately, the weather in Juneau on the day of our flight caused it to be cancelled. I am totally fine with a flight being cancelled for safety reasons, however, I am bothered by the way it was handled. When we booked the filght, we provided them with our cell phone numbers and were told that if the flight needed to be cancelled, we would be contacted. We docked in Juneau at 7am and our flight pick-up time was scheduled for 9:15am. The low cloud cover and drizzle made us wonder if our flight would be cancelled but since we expected to be contacted if that were the case, we went about our morning as if we were still flying. About 20 minutes before the meet time, we exited the ship and saw the pick-up van parked at the designated location. When we walked up, they told us the flight had been cancelled, gave us a cancellation form, and told us to contact their office to have our refund processed. Since Coastal Helicopters did not call to notify us, we had wasted 2 of our 6 hours in Juneau. We returned to the ship's excursion booking area and were able to get on the only available tour for that late in the day. Unfortunately, this was our second helicopter cancellation in Juneau. We were there 12 years ago, but the 9/11 attacks occured during that cruise and all flights were gounded. I guess we are just not destined to land on a glacier.

Visited June 2013
CoastalHelicopters, Manager at Coastal Helicopters, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Thanks for sharing your experience with the Tripadvisor community!

I’m sorry to hear that you were unable to join us for the tour on your scheduled date, but thanks for understanding that we sometimes have to make a decision to cancel flights due to unsafe weather.

The region of Southeast Alaska where Juneau is located makes for some very unpredictable weather, and to give every tour the best chances possible, we do hourly weather checks to get the best data available. As your pick up time is scheduled an hour before your flight time, it sometimes happens that we aren’t able to determine the viability of a flight until your pick up time. We have no interest in wasting anyone’s time in port, and it’s unfortunate that we had to wait until your pick up time to have a weather decision, but we do try to have a decision in as timely a manner as possible. We are often dealing with several different groups of passengers and we do what we can to inform everyone in the timeliest manner possible, so I’m sorry to hear that you had to spend the first hour of your day in port aboard your cruise ship in expectation of your tour, but I’m glad that you were able to get booked on to another tour while you were in Juneau.

Thanks for giving us some feedback on your experience.