“Best excursion of our entire cruise!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: Avoid the crowds, Rum Runner Charters specializes in affordable, private, premiere family and small group charters for both Whale Watching and Sport Fishing in some of the most beautiful wilderness and wildlife areas in South East Alaska. Cruise ship passengers and independent groups are welcome. Transportation is provided from your cruise ship or hotel. Local owned and operated for 22 years and going.
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
6 attraction reviews
“Best excursion of our entire cruise!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

We were picked up at the port and driven to the dock passing the Mendenhall Glacier on the way. Once at the dock our captain provided some background on the port and tides as well as educated us on the vessel. We chose the 4 hour tour and were not disappointed seeing several different humpback whales as well as a pod bubble netting for fish. Finally, we returned to the pier and witnessed bald eagles soaring close to the boat. It was incredible. The captain, deckhand, and the company made booking easy, the vessel was clean with snacks provided, and they worked hard to make sure that we had a great time. This was our favorite Alaskan excursion.

Visited July 2014

New York, New York, United States
“Great Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

The captain, the deckhand, and their dog are all awesome! They are very hospitable and welcoming!! We caught 2 fish! Obviously you can't guarantee a catch but the boat and the people running it are GREAT!!! Free pickup from the ship terminal! Great guys and great value. Definitely recommend!

Visited July 2014
Plainfield, Illinois, United States
21 attraction reviews
“Didn't get as close to the whales as we had hoped, but nevertheless it was an enjoyable experience.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

Instead of booking through our cruise line, we opted to book our whale watching excursion direct with Rum Runner as we wanted a smaller boat and more personal service. We were picked up by taxi from the Disney Wonder right as we came ashore, and promptly transported to Auke Bay on the other side of Juneau where our boat, the Buccaneer, was waiting. Our Captain was Josh and he made the trip both enjoyable and educating, but we didn't get particularly close to the whales. I imagine most close encounters are serendipitous, but I had hoped to get closer than we were. When we saw a whale Captain Josh would take the boat in that direction where we waited for the whale to resurface, but sadly in each situation the whale surfaced closer to other boats. We spent a lot of time waiting to see the first whale we came across, whereas I would have preferred we head farther out into the bay to see what else we could find. The highlight of the trip came at the end when Captain Josh enticed a couple of bald eagles to swoop in with some fresh fish tossed into the water.

I'd certainly do whale watching again with Rum Runner, but I'd book a longer tour in hopes of achieving a more personal encounter. Everyone, including my 4 year old, and seasickness prone father, enjoyed themselves (nausea free).

Bloomville, Ohio
“Best excursion on our Alaskan cruise!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014 via mobile

We spent a splendid day with Chris, Brandi, and his beautiful young helper on June 26, 2014 . We couldn't have asked for a better experience! We saw numerous humpback whales up close and personal. Chris went out of his way to make our day special! His hospitality was superior from the moment we stepped on his boat to the final handshake goodbye. It was far worth the few extra dollars to be on our own boat with our own agenda! Chris also spent the time to make sure we had a photo opportunity to see the Glacier while he surprised us with our own display of bald eagles soaring within feet from our heads! Words can not describe our excitement! Thank you, Chris!

Williamston, Michigan
“What an AWESOME day!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

Having booked our trip for Alaska and knowing the whale watch tour was the first things we talked about I decided to go on line to see what I could find for a private tour for 8. I found Captain Chris emailed him and got a response back almost immediately!!! The price was no more than what we would have paid if we had booked through the Cruise line so the eight of us decided to book....... What a FANTASTIC experience.... I was on the boat with Captain Josh and his mate, they gave us a lot of information regarding whales and other wild life, ( there were also drinks and snacks)...... we were fortunate to see hump back whales, Orkas, sea lions and eagles. The captain was amazing always aligning the boat for us to get the best view and pictures. I can't say I enjoyed one over the other the whales were AMAZING, however the eagles really stand out as we saw so many and they came so close to the boat. It was a great picture taking day!!! If I were to go back to Alaska I would definitly book again with Rum Runner Charters. We did a four hour trip they picked us up and brought us back to the cruise ship inbetween gave us a lot of great memories. Thank you Captain Chris and Captain Josh and the rest of the crew!! I definitely will spread the word if I know of anyone coming to Alaska!!