“Convenient but very noisy.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Extended Stay America - Juneau - Shell Simmons Drive

You added Extended Stay America - Juneau - Shell Simmons Drive to your Saves list
Extended Stay America - Juneau - Shell Simmons Drive
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1800 Shell Simmons Drive, Juneau, AK 99801 (Formerly Extended Stay Deluxe )   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 10% Today!
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Juneau
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Convenient but very noisy.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014 via mobile

For a single night stay on a stopover this is quite convenient, but don't expect to really enjoy it. The convenience is just about the only plus point. There was the noisiest refrigerator I've ever heard in the room which put pay to any hopes of sleep. I was imagining a lower score overnight, but the 2 minute walk to the airport in the morning has to bump it up.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Port Townsend, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

I've stayed at this hotel twice. I chose it the second time because my first experience was very good. Eight years after that first experience, I chose this hotel. That was a mistake. My check in was 4PM but the room was not available until 5. The hotel and the room looked, felt, and were dirty. The staff was kind but inefficient and provided incorrect information (I was standing next to a few people asking for information about sights in Juneau and heard hotel staff give them incorrect information including directions!) There were several burned out lights in my room. The blanket was beyond old and overused. There was no toilet paper in the room. The towels had not been checked. I asked for towels four times and was told they'd be ready in an hour each time. At least the bed had been changed and the small pool was available. This makes me sad because the hotel is convenient to the airport but there are less expensive hotels in the vicinity that are likely to provide a better experience than this one.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Boise, Idaho
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

I was there about three weeks on business, for a capital city and tourist attraction there really isn't a lot of hotel rooms available so at times you just take what you can get. Weekends in this place were bad, screaming kids, screaming kids running the hallways, and drunk folks doing what drunk folks do. During the week things seemed to calm down. The office staff was friendly and helpful but the housekeeping folks not so much. The internet was so/so. The room was clean but the dishes needed cleaned before use.

Room Tip: Top floor, back side may be less noisy.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

So I arrived here for a 2 week business stay and not my first in Juneau nor Alaska. First the room stinks, if smells like mildew and mold. My clothes are damp from hanging on the clothing rod, a first. Second, the Internet is horrific. I am staying on room 101, AVOID at all cost or around it. The connection at best is spotty, thus currently writing this on my phone. I called the Internet help desk and said the problem is lack of routers. No hotel I have been to in this town is nearly as bad. I cannot even access gmail!! I complained to the front desk and was told this is a known problem for a long time and well it sucks to be me.

The so called breakfast in the morning in my past 4 days is extremely cheap tea and packaged Sanka (I swear Sanka not seen in 10+ years) packets of instant coffee. At least the Fairbanks locale has breakfast bars.

The pool avoid, I swear either there is so much chlorine my skin dried out or I have some type of skin disease. I will be talking again to the front desk and more than likely my company to switch hotels.

• Stayed July 2014
Covina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014 via mobile

The pictures online are a total lie. Right when I walked in, I got an awful whiff of pet urine and cigarettes.there was no food in the food area / lobby. They were understaff and the poor lady was running around everywhere. There was no manager on site. I went up to my room and it was filthy. There was poop in the toilet and hair all over the bed and Crumbs on the floor. This room wasn't clean. The cleaning lady's should get fired for lying . I walked straight out and got my money back. The whole place was disgusting.

• Stayed June 2014
Juneau, Alaska
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

Well this email that I wrote to the corporate offices at extended stay should just about sum up my stay there. I still wish someone would have responded back. I also posted a some pictures of what I found under our nightstand.

I am currently staying at your location in Juneau, AK while awaiting a house my family and I will be moving into this weekend. Our stay at your hotel so far has been the worst I have experienced any where in the world. The rampant drug use, disrepair and complacency of much of the staff has all contributed to this. Honestly we would have checked out in the first couple of nights if we could have found a hotel that would take our dogs and has availability. The first night I was in the hotel I had to iron a pair of my uniform pants for my first day of work in the morning and the iron had some white substance that leaked out of it and stained my pants. The front desk found me a new iron from one of the rooms that apparently does not get used, gave me some bleach to clean my dark blue pants, and apologized. That is the first of many insincere apologies I have received during my stay here to bad it was not the only one. The included breakfast which is advertised and was one of the selling points of the hotel is a scam and false advertising in my opinion since approximately 1/3 of the days there is no food and about 1/2 the days there is no coffee creamer or sugar, not to mention the coffee is terrible. My room is falling apart which is not really one of my main concerns because the maintenance man has repaired the toilet seat and window screen that was missing fairly promptly. The pool is disgustingly dirty, smells over chlorinated and made my skin burn even if it is up to Alaska standards as quoted in a response to a review on a travel sight. The courtesy drivers like to rip around the parking lot like it is race track and scare me more then the drug dealers driving around at similar speeds. However the main thing that prompted me to write this email was the Drug paraphernalia I found under our nightstand. Which included a hypodermic needle, multiple empty drug baggies, two spoons for cooking up intravenous drugs and other miscellaneous trash. If a hotel is going to cater to drug users I would think that they would have there housekeeping do a little more thorough sweep of the rooms in between customers stays. Maybe move some furniture to get the trash from under the beds and the needles under the nightstand. It is a good thing I found it instead of my two year old daughter or she may have been injured or infected with something and your company would have had lawsuit on your hands. The night manager on the 19th May did come clean it up and apologized but I was kind of expecting the general manager might come talk to us for something this egregious. I will surely be letting anyone I know that is transferring to Juneau to avoid this place like the plague. I would have liked to send you the pictures I took also but it looks like that is not an option for this form of correspondence on the website. If you would like to see the pictures I took I would be happy to send them in an email. I did not include specific hotel info in the form because I felt that the issues at this hotel would probably need to be resolved by someone higher up in the organization then the local hotel manager who failed to make thing rights or maybe was not made privy to the situation by the night manager.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
St. Petersburg, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

No need to worry about late arrival and pickup. Close to the airport and well lighted walk. Great staff, fast check-in and out. Very nice room with all one would need for extended stay. They had a shuttle which would take you downtown. Not far from the bus stop. Ample selection at breakfast. Would definitely stay there again, hopefully for a longer time in the future.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo

Been to Extended Stay America - Juneau - Shell Simmons Drive? Share your experiences!