Wings Airways - Float Plane Tours (Taku Glacier Lodge Flight & Feast)
2 Marine Way, Suite 175, Juneau, AK 99801
907-586-6275
Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
New Tripoli, Pennsylvania, United States
15 attraction reviews
“We had a wonderful time!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

We (2 adults & 2 10 year old boys) chose this as an excursion on our July 2012 Disney cruise and I am glad we did.
We flew from Juneau on a great float plane and got to see a lot of amazing sites on the way to the lodge. The overview given during the flight was great and the pilot let a child fly shot gun with him.
We got to the lodge and were able to hang out and explore before our lunch, with a cold Alaska beer in our hands! The gift shop had nice things at reasonable prices to bring home from our trip.
It was buggy but that is nature and the lodge provides but spray!
We had a delicious lunch of fresh grilled salmon! Their home made biscuits were just amazing as well. All the food was very good. While we were eating the care takers gave us the history of the lodge and the glacier which was great!
After lunch you could go on a guided nature walk or just hang out. We chose to do the nature walk which was very informative.
As we were arriving back to the lodge the bears had shown up to clean off the grill. The care takers had warned us about the bears and were prepared to handle them. We all got to observe them at very close range for a while and then they were asked to leave.
If we ever get back to Juneau or if you are ever in Juneau I would recommend this trip for sure!

Visited July 2012

Singapore
8 attraction reviews
“Taku Glacier Lodge Flight and Lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

Alaska cruise is always on my wish list and I did the cruise with clelebrity century in september 2012. All my friends advised me to have lunch at the Taku glacier lodge before the trip . Thanks to them this trip is worth every penny ! It was breathtaking views all the way from Junea on the spectacular 12 seater floatplane which took 20 minutes. It was a sunny day and I took alot of photographs of the 5 amazing glaciers as advertised.3 plane load of passengers arrived together at Taku Glacier Lodge for lunch. The whole trip was so well organised and I had a great time at Taku Lodge . It was one of the best slamon lunch I ever had and watching the mama bear outside the big window licking up the scraps off the BBQ pit . The cubs were "growling" sitting on the tree branches .Beautiful nature walks after lunch around the lodge. Wonderful staff and the pilot of the seaplane.Very relaxing wonderful day trip and to finish the day by relaxing on the porch swing and witnessing an english couple gettting married infront of the Taku Glacier at Taku Lodge.....that's Gobsmack !!!!

Seattle
7 attraction reviews
“Awesome experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

I've wanted to visit Alaska for years and when I finally had the opportunity to take the Princess cruise I was ecstatic and decided to pick the excursions that would give me (oh, and my husband) the experience I had hoped for. The float plan and feast at Taku Lodge did not disappoint. We picked up the plane after a quick bus ride from the boat. The pilot mentioned that he needed someone to sit in the co-pilot seat and my husband hurdled the rest of us to get that spot :-) We were there the first week of September, and while the forecast threatened rain we actually had a beautful sunny, partly cloudy day. The flight was about 30 minutes as advertised, and we saw beautiful views of glaciers, mountains, water - truly breathtaking. The lodge was a lovely historical building in a breathtaking location. Inside was rustic, decorated with various historical artifacts. We also met Lois and her cubs, who were hanging out in a tree hoping to get a chance to scour the grill for leftovers. The staff used long poles to ensure the safety of guests and bears, but never in a cruel manner. The only time the mama bear got huffy was when the black lab ambled over and laid down underneath the tree - the staff called her back immediately to keep the bear calm. I do not normally like fish, but the salmon was delicious, as were the herb biscuits, spicey baked beans, and cooked apples. Dessert was ginger snaps, which my husband usually dislikes, but he declared these the best tasting ever and ate several. The brief presentation of the history of the lodge was informative and enjoyable, and we had plenty of time of time to take a short walk around the property and see the waterfall on the "Sometimes a Waterfall Hike." We came around the corner and ran into mama and cubs again, but our guide hustled them up a tree and us past them and back to the lodge. The staff was friendly but not overbearing - I actually did not realize there was a gift shop on site until late in the visit and did not have as much time as I would have liked to shop. Overall this was a highlight of our cruise, and we would definitely recommend taking this excursion.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
“amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

This is an expensive trip but worth every penny. We travelled in a 12 seater sea plane on a short 20 minute flight over the glacier to have lunch at the taku cabin. The weather was clear and all the seats are single window seats, so we had beautiful views. The lunch was great and the black bears ( a mother and two cubs) appeared out of the woods as if on que.
Three plane loads of people went at the same time which I hadn't expected and all of the others were Americans off the cruise boats. Having said that it didn't spoil what was a wonderful experience.

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
“Taku Glacier Lodge Flight & Feast”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

It is about 20 minute flight from Juneau to Taku Glacier Lodge. Although I had hoped to see more glaciers, we only saw Taku Glacier. The advertisement states you will see five "glaciers (advancing and receding)". The feast was good but hurried because the plane was due to pick us back up in an hour. So, it was not the leisurely visit we had expected. It definitely was not a "3-hour adventure". The ride back to Juneau was 20 minutes as well. It was a disappointment. I think that the charge of $290 per person was excessive for what was actually delivered.

Visited September 2012
WingsAirways, Owner at Wings Airways - Float Plane Tours (Taku Glacier Lodge Flight & Feast), responded to this review, October 1, 2012
I would like to personally apologize if this tour experience was not the tour that we advertise for any reason. We do view five glaciers on all of our tours, and a full 2 hours is spent at the Taku Lodge on each and every visit. We want guests to slow down to the quiet pace of Alaskan hospitality, and never feel rushed. If for any reason your tour was less than advertised I would appreciate that you contact us directly so that we may rectify the situation. We are nothing without satisfied happy visitors. We value your opinion and do not want to offer anything less than wonderful!

Holly Johnson
President/Shareholder
907-586-6275 or Info@wingsairways.com

Travelers who viewed Wings Airways - Float Plane Tours (Taku Glacier Lodge Flight & Feast) also viewed

Been to Wings Airways - Float Plane Tours (Taku Glacier Lodge Flight & Feast)? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Wings Airways - Float Plane Tours (Taku Glacier Lodge Flight & Feast), register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.