“Great location for a so so hotel” 2 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Book Direct & Save!
Ranked #13 of 16 Hotels in Juneau
Seattle, Washington
“Great location for a so so hotel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

Room is adequate w/ fridge and microwave. Right on busy road, so noisy all night (even in Juneau!). TV reception quit, that hotel could not fix. Their solution was to leave it broken until after I left. They had other rooms. I didn't make a big deal out of it, as I was using my ipad anyway. But bad service. I wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Juneau99801, Owner at Prospector Hotel, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Thank you for your review and recent stay. I'm sorry that your stay wasn't up to your expectation. I understand that the tv broke and the staff wasn't able to repair. I'm glad they offered you another room with a working tv, I will discuss the option of switching out the tv instead of offering to relocate you. Many of our rooms are off and away from the busy street-Egan Drive. They are typically mountain view rooms with room numbers ending in 01 thru 08, many of our long time guests that aren't interested in the spectacular water view and activities will book these rooms as they are quieter and cooler-not facing directly West into the sun (occasionally as it is a rain forest). I agree we have an outstanding location out of the busyness and noise of downtown, but close enough 2-3 blocks depending on rout, that everything is easily accessible.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013 via mobile

Booked this hotel between ferry rides to Anchorage. The pictures online looked good...the price was steep. $109 a night but they do accept pets so we decided to book a room. We arrived and noticed the lobby area was ok...tacky cheap furniture...but it looked good. Got are room key and were told the pet rooms are downstairs...the room was filthy, hairs in the tub and sink, musty smoke smell, curtains had some form of goo on them (didn't want to investigate). My wife tried to dry her hair and the hair dryer in the bathroom died after 2 seconds. Did not meet any of our expectations except the fact that the room had a bed...if you are looking for a quality hotel this is not it. If you just want a place to drop you stuff off and don't care about cleanliness then this is your place.

• Stayed March 2013
Juneau99801, Owner at Prospector Hotel, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Thank you for your recent stay. I'm sorry that your stay wasn't great. I have talked to the GM and housekeeping about this issue and they are working hard to improve service at all times. I wish you would have gone straight back to the front desk after finding the room in that state and requested another room, asking the desk to preview first. We would have relocated you or offered to clean the room while you take a quick walk around. I can only think that one of our trainee housekeepers had that room or they closed the door before the room was cleaned and ready to be rented to a new guest. We are working hard to make sure this does not happen in the future.
Sedro Woolley, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Three of us cousins, all in our 60s, shared a very nice suite. We had a beautiful view across the water, 2 TVs, many amenities and very nice accommodations. We didn't use any of the hotel's offerings (bar or restaurant) but I did use the free internet off the lobby and it was nice to have. The location is within walking distance of the shopping district and many attractions. The staff were very gracious. If you're used to luxury it might fall short but to me it was at least 4 stars.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Juneau99801, Owner at Prospector Hotel, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Thank you for your positive review! Those suites are sweet. With the wet bar, mini refrig and table chair you can have a comfortable get together with a couple people and still have room to spare. I enjoyed your picture on the tripadvisor site. It also posted a picture of the Westmark Inn, must have been a different trip as it was sunny and I don't remember any sunshine in February.... Thanks again for your business and positive review.
adare
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

I booked a room at this hotel two weeks before my arrival, through Expedia. The room I booked (and paid for immediately) was a queen executive waterfront room. I got to the hotel at 3 p.m. (check-in time), but the room I had paid for was unavailable. I was offered two other rooms - both unacceptable (one opened onto a meeting room, with a crack between the double-doors that could easily permit view of the room, and the other backed onto an alley and a construction site, at ground level, with easy access to the sliding glass door. On the plus side, the manager did locate another room at a nearby hotel, and make arrangements for me to stay there. The hotel was not as well-outfitted as the room I had booked, but at least the management tried to make it right.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

The view (facing the water) is gorgeous. Amazingly beautiful bay surrounded by mountains. The hotel is tolerable. Nothing fancy or special. The rooms are dated and worn. It doesn't come close to the Baranoff which was full when I visited. Breakfast in the restaurant was very good. A cocktail in the bar was okay. And it was close enough to walk and admire beautiful views to the Capitol and other downtown spots.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the water (and mountains). But if you don't face the water, you'l...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

First of all you have to know that when you visit Juneau, there's not going to be major chain hotels in town. I stayed here this summer and absolutely enjoyed my time. Get over the fact that you're not living in the lap of luxury and go downstairs and get a drink.

All of the staff (the hotel/restaurant and bar) are great. The restaurant is great for breakfast, I enjoyed being able to unwind in the bar and order food there. It's a little further out from the center of town than other hotels which is why I'm giving it a 4, but it is still very walkable.

The rooms are very large, they did "update" the bathrooms, but overall the hotel does feel old, but that's part of the charm.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Juneau, Alaska
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

Steve was awesome - You need a new maintenance person though , one who will get on problems as soon as they occur, not leave lights burned out for months on end.
How much is a good desk clerk worth? It's important that a person take pride in where they work, steve obviously does, and it shows in his dealings with customers.

Room Tip: do not take one on the bottom floor
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Been to Prospector Hotel? Share your experiences!