“Way better than anticipated” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Juneau International Hostel

Juneau International Hostel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Juneau
Juneau International Hostel
You added Juneau International Hostel to your Saves list
614 Harris St., Juneau, AK 99801   |
Kennebunk, Maine
“Way better than anticipated”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2010

I didn't expect much considering the low daily rate, but it turned out to be fine. The hostel is a large building up the hill from downtown (everything is up the hill in Juneau). It is well managed, clean, has spacious common rooms. The kitchen has two cook stoves and plenty of counter space. There are places to sit out in the yard and on the front porch. There is a natural food store within a block or two and large grocery stores down the hill. Restaurants are not far down the hill in town. The hostel is in a residential area with great fresh air and onstreet parking. There are 5-7 minute daily chores which everyone does cheerfully. The women's dorm room I slept in had 8 beds and several snorers so bring ear plugs and an eye mask (as you should do everywhere you travel). The women's bath had 2 showers, 2 toilets, several sinks and good ventilation. Washing machines are in the basement and they are busy (take your opportunity when available). There is a lockout during the day, but there is plenty to do in Juneau both indoors and outdoors. Stayed here 5 nights. The greatest problem is the lack of public transportation from the ferry terminal to town. Upon arrival we shared a taxi with another couple (the taxi van took 4 people max.) When departing Juneau we took the public bus to the airport and a taxi from there. The taxi was cheaper from the airport, but of course this took more time. Juneau is the state capital, occupies a narrow strip of land enclosed by mountains. Lovely harbor, good museums and hiking.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
kaydajay
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2010

I must have stayed on an off night. My room and the bathroom both smelled terrible! I had a 2 inch wide mattress on a squeaky, loud, and unstable bunk bed. I woke up every time I rolled over and the frame shook whenever the person below me coughed or moved. However, the staff was very sweet and the common facilities were great, and it's only $10 per night. Beautiful views and location, but a terrible might's sleep, unfortunately.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2008

this is so much better than any other hostels that I have ever been to, people are nice and the chores are easy and the place is clean, warm, has everything you need in the kitchen location just beautiful, walking distance to the Basin road where it is just under the awesome mountain... safe..

cheap

• Liked — cheap and clean
  • Disliked — thte place is closed between 9 - 5PM
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2008

Unbelievable, this was my first hostel experience, and what a great start. The place is very nice, like being in a upscale house, very clean nice comfy rooms/bunks, the staff was very friendly and efficient. Of the six hostels I stayed in Alaska this and Denali Mountain Morning Hostel were the best. Juneau hostel is right in downtown Juneau, you can walk to everything, if you come on the ferry try to find some folks to split a cab into town with, I rode with 3 other people so we split the fare of $33. The city bus is about a 2 mile walk from the ferry terminal. Just up the street from the hostel are some of the bes hiking trails, just a beautiful area, and did I mention the price $12. wow what a great deal for such a wonderful hostel. This is a must stay for anyone lots of older travelers like me stay here also.

• Liked — the place itself and the location
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Houston, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2007

This was one of my first hostel experiences in Alaska and I have to admit, I was impressed.

Great professional service in checking us in. (A group of 6 of us stayed here for 2 nights). Clear definition of morning chores. Very clean rooms, restrooms, kitchen and living room facility.

they had a good washer / dryer which I used.

The price is very inexpensive. I would have loved it if this place was open during the day also (we have to check out every day at 9:00 AM.. as the hostel is closed during the day.. you can check in again at 5:00 PM).. One has to be back in the hostel by I think about 10:00 PM or so..

So I could not enjoy the living room and kitchen as much as I wanted to .

I actually took some pictures of the hostel just to show my wife who would not believe that a hostel can be clean, professional and very reasonably priced.

Stayed August 2007

Been to Juneau International Hostel? Share your experiences!