If you can live with the limitations and if what you want is clean, affordable, NO FRILLS lodging in Juneau, it's nice to have the Juneau International Hostel as an option. It is not equivalent to a hotel in convenience or amenities but the location is convenient, price is very affordable, and you will meet and talk to interesting people in the common areas.
Sleeping accommodations are bunks in shared rooms and I recommend you consider bringing along an extra pillow -- the ones provided are quite insubstantial -- but otherwise the dormitory arrangements are adequate. The common areas are more appealing and include a living area, dining area, full kitchen, and gender-segregated bathroom/shower areas. Coin-operated laundry is available on-site.
Staying at the hostel is an excellent opportunity to meet travelers from many different lands and it is definitely part of the charm to talk to other wayfarers and learn about their adventures.
- Also Known As:
- Juneau International Hotel
- Juneau International Hotel Juneau
- Juneau International Hostel Alaska
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Juneau Hostel is a non-profit, volunteer-run, public service to provide affordable accommodation for travelers and the families from the outlying communities of Southeast Alaska. Because we are volunteer-run, we have day jobs, which is why we have the 9-5 lock-out, and which is why we are particular about everybody leaving at 9. We have to go to work. The 11 pm curfew ensures quiet, safe, family-oriented accommodation. The gender segregated dorm rooms have no more than 8 beds in the largest room. Yes, the beds are uncomfortable, but you won’t find cleaner or safer accommodations anywhere in the world. In addition, we provide linens, towels, wifi, unlimited hot water, a kitchen and comfortable common area and coin-operated laundry facilities. We are open 350 days a year and the managers live onsite with children. ... more less