“What to do...” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 15 things to do in Hoonah
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: Icy Strait Point is located in the town of Hoonah on Chichagof Island. We are a quick 20 minute flight from Juneau Alaska. Icy Strait Point is the only private cruse ship destination in Alaska, we offer over 20 different shore excursions including ATV's, Biking, Kayaking, Nature Tours the best whale watching in Alaska and the worlds largest and highest Zipline ride. We also have 3 waterfront restaurants with breathtaking views offering some of the freshest seafood you will ever eat. Don't miss our unique Shopping center, a free museum, walking trails, etc.
Naperville
11 attraction reviews
“What to do...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

We had no excursion planned and were dropped at icy Strait from our Royal Caribbean cruise. The zip line I understand is the longest single run in the world and looks great. I was not with others willing to go so we watched. We took a quick bus into town and walked around a bit. Alaska is beautiful but not much to do other than look at the landscape. We found a great restaurant experience and walked back to the point. Not much there other than s souvenir mall. I would recommend an excursion of some sort unless you just want to relax. You could do the zipline and those that did loved it (no need to book through the cruiseline when we were there).

Visited August 2013

Brackley, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
“Safety First - not on this flight”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

Having booked a cruise to Alaska with Royal Carribean (RCCL) on their Celebrity Century ship, i decided to arrange a glacier flight from Hoonah. Since this was my first cruise, I felt it was important to know more about the flight arrangements and asked the UK contact at Celebrity to furnish me details of the flying company, type of plane, capacity of plane, how many pilots and safety record. They thought I came from another planet with these questions! Despite being told they had "specialist team dedicated to onshore activities", they were only able eventually to tell me the type of plane, capacity and that there was only one pilot. Against my better judgement I went ahead with the booking at £250 for 2. on the ship, I asked the same questions and after 24 hours all they could produce was a print out of the company's website. on the day, 7 of us got on the plane, capacity of 9, but there was NO SAFETY BRIEFING and NO HEADPHONES. The pilot waved his seat belt as an indicator of what we meant to do. The flight was ruined by no narrative above the noise of the plane (we could have been anywhere) and most importantly if something had gone wrong, we would not have known what to do. I spoke to Celebrity on my return to the the UK - they took 3 weeks to reply following my chasing of the issue - and the message was, "we take safety seriously and will be reporting it to our Miami office". How pathetic is that! In fact in their response which also covered a fairly chaotic on ship safety briefing, they did not specifically mention this serious breach of safety.
My message to readers is if you take one of these excursions, ALWAYS check the safety issue mentioned above - how many companies carry out serious due diligence on their third party arrangements? If it is a Celebrity excursion, from my experience, double check and complain vigorously if there is any failure. I have asked to know precisely the action that is being taken to prevent a recurrence - silence, so far.

Visited September 2013
Ropesville, Texas, United States
8 attraction reviews
“Museum is a wonderful resting place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

This is a large free walk thru museum right at the entrance and exit to the dock. Interesting and lots o places to sit and rest. We used it as a meeting place to gather stray party members . Ad to get out the rain. Have fun!

Visited November 2012
Columbus Ohio
143 attraction reviews
“Only Good if you have Shore Excursions”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

This stop is for most cruise lines. The island is best for all the shore excursions. There is shopping and hiking. We took a hoke through the woods there and I thought that was pretty nice. All the trees were tall. This place was cold, in July it was 50 degrees there. It also rained the whole time we were there. There is a small shopping area and gift shops.

Visited July 2013
Værløse
3 attraction reviews
“Alaskan nature”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Visit mid. September 2013: Although we did not see any bears on our guided trip, we had a beautyful day in the woods. The trail was easy to walk, and the even provided a toilet (for those who needed). Our guide was extremely good, fun and enlightning, and we learned a lot about the life and living i Hoonah.

Visited September 2013

Been to Icy Strait Point? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Icy Strait Point, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.