“Great location and food” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Super Special Available!
Ranked #4 of 45 Homer B&B and Inns
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Great location and food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

We stayed at Halcyon Heights B&B for 5 nights in June 2013. It was obvious from our introduction that Juxia and Stephen are passionate about their little corner of Alaska. They were most helpful in giving advice about where to eat, places to go and things to do. Juxia obviously enjoys giving her guests more than enough food for breakfast, all carefully prepared and beautifully presented. She went the extra mile in supplying a lunch for our fishing trip, was happy to cook some of the rewards for dinner that night and organized a birthday cake as the restaurant visited the previous night was unable to mark the event. Thank you for your generosity and helping to make our stay in Homer a memorable one.

Room Tip: Camboose: outside entry, beautiful view of the mountains and inlet.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Ukudigal, Owner at Halcyon Heights B&B / Inn, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Thanks so much for your kind words. Indeed. This is a special corner for us, and we want it to be "special" for each and every of our guests. Everyone should have candles, cake for the birthday celebration! Glad we did it... although I confess it was not as hard as you think ... to have a piece of signature "kiwi" on your cake.

Thanks for letting us know you enjoyed the breakfasts. We love working in kitchen ~ the best part yet running a b&b. Be surprised, we have been testing a few new recipes recently. Looking forward to your next visit.

149 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Mercer Island, Washington, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

We just got back from our first visit to Alaska and we have Juxia and Stephen to thank for ensuring that we got everything from this adventure that we hoped for. Something in the e-mail advertisement for the Halcyon Heights caught my attention. I called Juxia and she helped me to plan our entire trip. What impressed me the most is that she understood exactly what we hoped to experience in Alaska, helped us to plan the perfect itinerary and made the bookings. Our trip included kayaking, hiking, flight seeing, white water rafting in Homer, Talkeetna and Denali. Stephen and Juxia were warm and gracious hosts. The accommodations were perfect - warm, comfortable, spacious, a great view. There was a lot of thought put into the room decor and amenities. And the breakfasts were wonderful. We spent three nights at the Halcyon Heights. I would not hesitate to stay there again or recommend to friends.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Quarter Deck room, we had a king size bed and a private entrance.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Pleasure is ours to be able to help. As an effective communicator/ frequent traveler, you made it easy for us to hand pick the right adventures! Alaska is big, getting around is no easy feat. However, with a few local insights and careful planning, everyone can be a happy Alaska traveler. We are proud to be part of it. Come back again soon, there are a lot more to see and do.
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

I stayed at the Halcyon Heights B&B for 5 nights in May 2013 & had a wonderful time. I wanted an active week. Though I was traveling single (harder to line up activities as most have a 2-person minimum), Juxia was able to use her contacts to connect me with guides, water taxis and tours to get me kayaking in Peterson and China Poot Bay, out to Seldovia and hiking several trails in Kachemak Bay State Park. They also provided great tips on local restaurants (good and not so much) and sights to not miss for both my active and artistic interests.
The view both over my sumptuous daily breakfast and from my deck was awesome, further enhanced by the local moose and smaller wild life. It was a great value and I won't stay anywhere else next time I'm in Homer.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Thanks for sharing your Homer experiences. Joe. We are very proud to have you staying with us. Thanks for the opportunity allowing us to try all the tricks in our sleeves to have you at the right spots at the right time. What amazing journeys and adventures you had in Homer! Just wonderful. We ourselves could not do it, it is the caring and supportive outfitters in our community who made it happen for you. Indeed. May is Spring for us, this is the best time to come and enjoy birding, and watching new born baby moose. Of course, the snow capped Kenai Mountain range beyond the blue Kachemak Bay are stunningly beautiful. Come back again soon, Joe, there are more to explore.
Beloit, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

How do you put a value on kindness? These B&B owners are the best. Juxia and Stephen have one objective: to make sure their guests enjoy Alaska fully. We were most fortunate that Juxia planned our Alaska trip. I phoned her from Wisconsin after seeing an advertisement in the Milepost. She explained that if we would like to enjoy the B&B's that were part of her B&B association, she would be happy to plan our week in Alaska at no charge. She did an AMAZING job. After asking what we enjoyed doing, eating, seeing, she created an itinerary that was made to order for us. She made all of our reservations for both lodging and excursions. Our first three days were wonderful; Girdwood on night one and Seward on nights two and three. When we arrived at Homer on Wednesday, we called to say we were in town and Juxia recommended Captain Patties on Homer Spit where we had a great dinner. Upon our rival at Halcyon Heights, we were greeted by Stephen who invited us to sit down and enjoy his amazing wealth of knowledge and suggestions for getting the most out of our stay in Homer. But then the unthinkable happened... I came down with a flu that sent me begging for my room. Stephen immediately got us settled. So sick by morning, all I could think of was getting back to the airport in Anchorage to fly home. Juxia was so kind and compassionate, offering to cancel the balance of our trip activities and suggesting places in Homer where I could seek some medical help. I was so sick, I could barely remain hospitable as I made my way out the door. Juxia had gone to so much trouble to make such wonderful plans for us and then she had to un-do it all. She was so gracious. She emailed me several times just to make sure I was okay. I have two sisters who are waiting to hear about our trip to Alaska as they are planning to see this great state in 2014. And while it was cut short by half, it will be my absolute pleasure to highly recommend Juxia and Stephen as the perfect Alaska host and hostess.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Ukudigal, Owner at Halcyon Heights B&B / Inn, responded to this review, June 1, 2013
As Tim Cahill, the America's best known (and funniest) adventure travel writer, pointed out, “A journey is best measured in friends, rather than miles.” We are honored and blessed to know you as a friend thanks to the magic Alaska. We look forward to your return soon.
London, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

My daughter and I just stayed at this great B&B the last few nights (May 2013). The season was just starting in Homer Alaska. We picked this because of the view and the hot tub (which they had all ready clean and sparkly for us). We booked the King bed room as my daughter and I were travelling together. The bed was so comfortable and roomy. The bathroom has a nice bath and shower and is also quite roomy. It has it's own entrance to the outside and up to the hot tub. The panaroma looking out from the hot tub is breath taking. We absolutely loved staying there. The hosts are really knowledgeable about the area and Alaska in general. The breakfasts were delicious and as my daughter is a chef we can say that for certain it was good food. The hosts gave us fantastic recommendations for places to eat and we were not disappointed. There is also tons to do re. shopping , sightseeing and seeing wildlife. We saw a big moose just near the B&B. We would not hesitate to send anyone to Halcyon Heights B&B. Hope you enjoy it too. Marti and Kristina B

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Ukudigal, Manager at Halcyon Heights B&B / Inn, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
It is wonderful to know you enjoyed the Forecastle Room so much. We are flattered by your kind words on our breakfasts. Indeed to soak in both the hot tub and the panaroma of Kachemak bay and kenai mountains are a rare treat. We look forward to see you coming back again soon.
Anchorage, Alaska, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

My husband and I spent the weekend in Homer, during the first weekend in May. This was the last weekend before the summer tourist season begins. This gave us an added benefit, as we had the opportunity to get to know this lovely couple, Stephen and Juxia. We were greeted Friday evening with warm smiles and a friendly welcome. Using a map of Homer, they offered ideas of where to eat and what to do. They were most helpful. Saturday morning, we were treated to a five star breakfast, of pancakes made from scratch, nuts, fruit and sausage. Sunday morning, we feasted on frittata, bacon, fruit and homemade nut and grain bread. Even if you are a hard core coffee drinker, you must try the hot chocolate. That alone makes me want to go back! Our room was very clean and comfortable; and the décor was bright and cheery. Strolling around the property with it's multilevel decks offered fantastic views of Kachemak Bay and surrounding mountains. By the end of our short weekend, we felt rested and refreshed. We have found a new home away from home, and can't wait to go back!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Ukudigal, Owner at Halcyon Heights B&B / Inn, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
We are so pleased to know you "felt rested and refreshed". That is what the B&B is -- a peaceful relaxing spot. (The word "Halcyon" means "calm; peaceful; tranquil, happy; joyful; carefree"). There are certainly a lots of "positive energy" flowing around. Glad you "have found a new home away from home". we look forward to your return visit, whenever you need more R&R.
Dallas, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

Halcyon Heights is a great place to stay. The location is very convenient to everything that Homer has to offer. Steve and Juxia Scarpitta are great hosts. Steve is a treasure trove of knowledge about the local area: what to see, where to eat, what to do. He has great stories about the wildlife, and living in the area. Juxia is warm and friendly, and a great cook. They made us feel very welcome. She was my booking agent, and gave me great advice about where to stay and for how long in both Homer and Seward. She even booked a whale-watching cruise for us.

The B&B has very nice, spacious rooms, a large, private bathroom, and a great view of the mountains across Katchemak Bay. Our room also had a private entrance which was very nice. Our room had its own TV and DVD player with cable TV - very nice for relaxing in the evening!

I would highly recommend Halcyon Heights. I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: The "Quarterdeck" room was very large, quiet, private, and comfortable. Probably the best...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Great to know you like our B&B location. Indeed it is "very convenient to everything that Homer has to offer". And the drive to/from the B&B is also scenic, on a clear day, St. Augustine, a live volcano, can be seen steaming when driving downhill.
We are very happy that you enjoyed the lodging and adventure activity we suggested for you. Hope you fly back to Alaska again soon.

Been to Halcyon Heights B&B / Inn? Share your experiences!