“Spacious quarters and very fair price.” 5 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Condominium   |   1065 Krueth Way, Homer, AK 99603   |
Ranked #4 of 23 Specialty Lodging in Homer
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Pocatello
“Spacious quarters and very fair price.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2007

The facility is part condo, part hotel. It is in the town site, sits on the cliff with a very good view of bay and mountains. The rooms are spacious, clean, and nicely appointed. The owners are very gracious and helpful. The price was quite reasonable.

• Liked — We had a condo which was large and comfortable.
  • Disliked — Kitchen sink backed up!
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2007

We stayed at this inn for two nights in July. The room itself was very clean, the beds quite comfortable, and the bathroom looked like it had been remodeled recently. The man who checked us in was very friendly-- he gave us a map of Homer and pointed out a bunch of attractions, places to see wildlife and good restaurants. Overall, it was a very pleasant stay and I would certainly recommend it, especially at such a reasonable price.

• Liked — The bed was comfy, staff very helpful
  • Disliked — not much in walking distance, but that wasn't a big concern
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Fremont, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2007

Based on previous reviews I was a bit nervous about booking, but I was glad I did. This turned out to be the nicest place we stayed in during our entire trip in Alaska. The owner was genuinely friendly and helpful, with some great local stories. I'm surprised with prior reviewers comments. There was shared outside grills for cooking, easy access to a great beach area, and the rooms were very clean and very nicely decorated. We stayed in the Arctic Sun condo which had two very nice rooms and a nice kitchen area - good value compared to other similar places. If I go back to that area they will certainly be my first choice.

• Liked — Great View, Very well appointed, Owner was very nice
  • Disliked — Couldn't stay longer - was booked up
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Englewood, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2007

I've recently returned from another wonderful stay at the Ocean House Inn. This was my third stay at the Ocean House Inn, and it was as wonderful and perfect as my first two stays in June 2001 and November 2003. This stay was everything I hoped for. My first night was a late arrival and directions were kindly posted on the office window/door providing clear directions to the location of my room, the Yukon Jack Suite. The suite was clean, roomy, and had a large bathroom with shower. Earlier that night, I was told a Moose and calf was hanging around just by the entrance, and helped itself to some cabbage planted in the garden surrounding the building. The Yukon Jack Suite is located in the building Complex B. There is a second hot tub near the building with a spectacular view of the Homer Spit, majestic mountains, and breathtaking glaciers.

The next night I was in Suite 1. Suite 1 was my preference when I booked my reservation, but was not available for my first night arrival. This was the suite I stayed in on my first visit with my parents, and I was sentimental about choosing this suite. This suite was open the following two nights of my stay and Larry, the owner, was kind to allow me to book the Yukon Jack Suite the first night, and Suite 1 the following two nights. Suite 1 is the suite closest to the hot tub near the deck to the office entrance. The suite has plenty of room with two King bedrooms and a bathroom with shower between the two rooms. Each room had its own TV. The room closest to the door had an additional sink, refrigerator, coffee pot, microwave, dishes, utensils, and plates. The room was clean and spotless, same as with the Yukon Jack Suite.

The hot tub was roomy, clean and was wonderful for soaking and enjoying the awesome view of Kachemak Bay, remarkable mountains, and beautiful glaciers. The deck next to the hot tub and entrance to the office has a row of potted flowers placed along the edge. The flowers were blooming with full beautiful colored bouquet. Beautiful flowered hanging baskets also hung at the entrances to the suites on the lower level. Along the stairs to the deck were planted the most beautiful blue poppies of which I’ve never seen.

As always, Larry was friendly host and more than helpful with information. Before my arrival, I asked who he might recommend for a sea kayaking trip. Larry referred me to Seaside Adventure who I booked and enjoyed a wonderful day of sea kayaking in Tuka Bay. Larry also helped me with where I can find a store that might sell a head cleaner for my digital camcorder, and he led me to the store which did carry what I needed. During a previous stay for a bear tour, Larry recommended Bald Mountain Air who we took and were awesome for bear viewing. For this trip, we went again with Bald Mountain Air, this time to view Brown Bears feeding on Sockeye Salmon at Brooks Falls in Katmai National Park. As before, Bald Mountain Air did an outstanding job taking us to Brooks Falls where the flight there and back was a wonderful experience in itself, a delightful perk in addition to viewing all the bears. At Brooks Falls, the bears were everywhere, and the experience met every expectation.

I've attached some photos I took while at the Ocean House Inn and at Brooks Falls. I hope they show how beautiful this Inn is, and the wonderful location where the Inn is located, perfectly overlooking Kachemak Bay, the Homer Spit, magnificent mountains, and stunning glaciers. I can't imagine a more beautiful location to stay. The Ocean House Inn makes for a superb retreat during a breathtaking visit to wonderful Alaska. With the wonderful rooms, beautiful location, and Larry being an welcoming host, I can’t imagine staying anywhere but at the Ocean House Inn when visiting Homer.

Of all the places I’ve stayed during my life’s travels, I have never stayed anyplace as wonderful, beautiful, and peaceful. For me, in addition to sea kayaking, and bear viewing, staying at the Ocean House Inn was a big part of my enjoyment which I was anxiously looking forward to staying for this visit. I am a repeat guest and I hope to be fortunate to return to this wonderful Inn again and again. I give the Ocean House Inn my highest compliment, thanks and appreciation. .

Steve
Dayton, Ohio

• Liked — Wonderful clean rooms, spectacular views, and welcoming host
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with friends
Ashland, Kentucky
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2007

To begin with the Ocean House Bed and Breakfast quit serving breakfast several years ago. They do not see this as a problem. Also, since beach access was the reason we booked this room for $149 per night plus tax we sort of expected to be able to access the beach. We could not since the "bridge was out" due to excess sand. It looked like it had been out for quite a while. They do not see this as a problem. The carpet smelled quite bad and was very old and the room might have been nice in the late 1970's or early 1980's. They do not see this as a problem. We had a problem with the bill and tried to get someone in the hotel "office" for most of two days. They had a sign that the office was closed. They do not see this as a problem. We have decided that we will NEVER stay there again. I doubt that they will consider this to be a problem.

• Liked — the view
  • Disliked — dirty rooms and misleading advertising
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
seattle
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2007

After reading some of these past reviews - I booked a two night stay and luckily was only able to stay one night. I had to make a last minute change in my itinerary (after booking my reservation only 15 hours prior) for my family and the owners charged me for the room that they couldn't fill. They did not tell me what their cancellation policy was beforehand. After that "rub" of paying $169 extra for a room we didn't stay in - the rooms were not clean, the hottub was oily and green...nice...and some other resident next to us had an incredible argument and it scared my mother-in-law. The owners made no attempt to tell us what the deal was or to let us know things were ok and safe. We made sure our doors were locked and got out of there asap in the am. We stayed at the Lands End the night before...and would go there in a heartbeat. The Lands End staff were fabulous! I was so disappointed with this place. What were the other people thinkiing?

• Disliked — was not clean and over charged
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2007

This hotel was the BEST bed and breakfast I have ever stayed at!! It was very clean and the staff was so friendly!! The most WONDERFUL thing about this hotel is taking in the view from one of the 2 hot tubs. The chilly air makes the hot tub feel great!! I'll definately stay here again if I ever make it back to Homer!!

• Liked — The view of the mountains, sitting in the hot tub!!!!!!!!!
  • Disliked — I'm stumped! Nothing- this place is fantastic!!
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Ocean House Inn Hotel and Condos? Share your experiences!