“Basic but clean and convenient” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
15 % off for 2 + nights
Ranked #5 of 15 hotels in Homer
Port Aransas, Texas
“Basic but clean and convenient”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

My son and I stayed at Ocean Shores for two nights during the last week of June. Rooms were pretty basic but the views from the balconies were fantastic. The hotel is conveniently located but I would still recommend that the traveler have a car as Homer (including the Spit) is quite spread out. When I made the reservations I opted for a hillside room because I am from the totally flat Texas Gulf Coast so I assumed that the hillside room would have a better view. I did not realize that by my standards all three rows of rooms were sufficiently elevated above the water to afford fantastic views. The second floor of the top "hillside" rooms required a climb up steps and having some mobility problems (knees) this could have been a little problem for me had I not had my son along to carry my bags up for me. Having said that, though, everyone we met at the office was so friendly and helpful that I am sure that I could have gotten help if I needed it. Convenient to have a microwave and refrigerator. I would like to have had a ceramic cup for my morning coffee instead of paper but I could have easily gone out and bought one.
Pretty basic place but overall I am giving the five stars for friendly staff, cleanliness and the fantastic balcony views of the ocean and mountains,

Room Tip: Select a room in the two units closest to the water. I believe that you could park right at your doo...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Manager596, Front Office Manager at Ocean Shores, responded to this review, August 25, 2013
Dear Valued Guest
We are so happy you chose to stay with us during your visit to Homer. We do try our best to explain exactly what our options our for lodging and that the four different motel buildings we have in fact have different levels of views. We are very happy you found our staff friendly and helpful. We hope to have you stay with us again!

171 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

If you are fortunate enough to get one of the rooms right on the bay ... you will be treated to birds, sea otters, whales, mountains, changing tides and a path right outside taking you down to the water.
The rooms are clean, bright....big windows....wide expanse and friendly staff.
There were a number of choices of motels in Homer....I'm glad I chose this one...it made my trip...

Room Tip: Choose a room closest to the water .... there are two buildings higher up....but you want the lower...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013 via mobile

The view is stunning. They rooms are spacious. They giving a folding mattress for fifth person. We really enjoyed our stay. Great beach hotel. Parking right outside the room. I loved the Beach theme of the rooms. Definitely worth it.

• Stayed July 2013
Christchurch, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

We have stayed here before and were just as happy the second time. We chose the units closer to the beach for the view (slightly more expensive). There is a walkway that takes you onto the beach, otherwise you can just look out the window at the beautiful view or sit on the deck. We had a moose that turned up every evening to graze. There was a fridge and microwave in the room but what was lacking was some dishes and cutlery. Luckily I always carry a couple of cheap plates and plastic cutlery to enable us to take advantage of the microwave. They did supply paper cups, tea and coffee. This was the only thing that stopped it being perfect.
It was a short walk to supermarket, restaurants and bakeries.

Room Tip: To take advantage of the fantastic view go for the beach units. I think about an extra $10 night.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest
We are so very glad you enjoyed your stay with us again! And that you enjoyed and took advantage of our private beach and beach path. We do have Kitchenette rooms available for guests that would like use of full kitchen appliances and cutlery, located a bit further up the slope with a partial view. We hope to choose to stay with us again soon!
Fairbanks, Alaska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Having stayed at another establishment in Homer on a prior vacation I chose to book the Ocean Shores this time. I am so glad I did! The proprietor Mike, is a friendly man who really enjoys what he does. The views are exceptional, the access to the beach is fantastic and the rooms are comfortable and very clean. We stayed in the "Blueberry Room" and it was very cute! Can't wait to head back to Homer again and see Mike and his crew at Ocean Shores!

Room Tip: Get an Ocean Front room! The rooms are simple, and very clean! This is Alaska so don't expect...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Manager596, Front Office Manager at Ocean Shores, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,
We are so very glad you enjoyed your stay with us! We try our best to accommodate our guests in any way and keep our rooms spotlessly clean. We hope you enjoyed your trip to Homer and hope that you come stay with us again!
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

This property is located on the bluff right as you come into town. At first glance, you realize the rooms are modular units which certainly will not earn it any constructional awards. Aside from this, the room we had was comfortable and clean, but basic with a little table, small refrigerator, and microwave. There was a coffee set-up, too. The bed was comfortable. Now, the best thing about this hotel....and it's important....is the view! We had a balcony and the view was, simply put, exceptional! We originally started to book at another hotel, but decided we wanted a view of Kachemak Bay. Well, we got it. Be sure to book a slightly more expensive room with the balcony and bay view - you'll be glad you did.

Room Tip: Book a room with a blacony and bay view.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Eagle River, Alaska, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

We stayed in the beach front rooms. The view was beautiful. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. A very good deal for the price. The staff was very helpful. One very nice young lady gave us a map with recommendations for dinner. Ginger was very nice when I called halfway back to Anchorage. We had left something in the room and she very nice to offer to mail it back to us. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Ocean Shores? Share your experiences!