“THE MOST BEAUTIFUL SITE IN ALASKA FROM YOUR HOTEL DECK” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Lands End Getaway Package
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Homer
Murphy, North Carolina
“THE MOST BEAUTIFUL SITE IN ALASKA FROM YOUR HOTEL DECK”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

My wife and I have visited Homer five times now and have always stayed at "The Land's End" located at the very end of the Homer Spit. We enjoy the people and the food at the hotel, but most of all we enjoy the gorgeous view from the hotel and our room 121. We have caught many halibut there fishing with Capt. Doug Judge. We saw eagles catching fish and sea otters breaking clams on their belly just a few yards from our small private ocean front deck. The wildlife goes on and on. We love to go there.

Please see my photos of the spit and the view from our deck.

Fred & Mary Lou
Murphy, N.C.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Mike D, Manager at Land's End Resort, responded to this review, July 6, 2014
Thank you for choosing Land's End Resort and for your nice comments. I see that you return often, when you are ready to book your next visit please contact me at leceo@alaska.net for a special offer. We are truly blessed as residents in Homer and as an organization at the end of the Homer Spit-- truly breathtaking and to me the view is different every day.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014 via mobile

We stayed one night in a king room with a view and balcony for $278. As others have noted the view is lovely, hence the rating. However, without the view I would give this a below average rating. The only elevator is at the end of the building. The rooms are very worn, the water takes forever to get mildly warm, and our room had the heat on. We could not turn it off, it was over 80 in the room. Maintenance turned it off, but the room never cooled down, as there is not a cross breeze of any kind or an air conditioner. The bed was uncomfortable and the mattress could stand to be replaced. The birds and watercraft in the morning are very loud. The restaurant and bar were great. Everyone was really friendly.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Mike D, Manager at Land's End Resort, responded to this review, July 6, 2014
Thank you for choosing Land's End Resort and I apologize for the heat and lack of hot water while you were here. I responded to another complaint on water then checked with maintenance to learn that they did have a delay with an incoming part which caused the issues. I am pleased that you enjoyed your meals in the Chart Room, and that our staff is living up to our slogan 'Where Smiles and the Ocean Greet you at the Door". The elevator location is not the best location given our current operations, but it was designed to fit well in our longer term design. I would like to place a work order to have our maintenance team to assess the mattress and I appreciate your comment. All of our mattresses are recent upgrades, so this one may be damaged. If you could email me what your room number was ( I could not ascertain from the review) I would like to offer you a free upgrade if you have the opportunity to return.
Whitefish, Montana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

Right at the end of Homer spit, this hotel has the best views! Boats go by, eagles fly by and a few orcas passed by one evening. So know that you are getting the view, not a luxury hotel. We stayed in the loft rooms in the old part of the hotel and the room was showing its age. Still, it was all fine except that it took 5+ minutes to get hot water in the shower. It came, but seems such a waste to have to run water that long. It was particularly bad the morning i was up early to go fishing. Despite this, we we surely stay here again. Might try the newer rooms based on other reviews. Also, be aware that the turnover on a weekend can really tax the staff. They struggled to have rooms ready on a Sunday night ready and some people were still waiting for their rooms after 6:00.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Mike D, Manager at Land's End Resort, responded to this review, June 29, 2014
Thank you for choosing Land's End Resort. Kachemak Bay and the end of the Homer Spit really is an awe-inspiring destination. You are correct we do provide a wide range of amenities from economical rooms for the travelers who want to maximize their currency for activities on and around the Bay to luxury homes that can not be matched anywhere in Alaska. There are rare days in the summer where 75% of our resort is turning over to new guests-- though our housekeeping team prepares with additional staff there are unfortunately some rare circumstances that some rooms are past the 4;00 check-in. We do on these occasions offer something nice to our guests in these situations. If this did not happen for your, I would like to extend an offer for a return trip if you anticipate another trip. Thank you for notifying me about the hot water as we have not had that issue for some time since modifying our laundry department. It is best to turn off the water for five minutes in that situation.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

Honestly, I don't care what the hotel was like. The view was that good. We had a private porch, with the best view on the planet. I honestly never want to go anywhere else again. Their amenities are a little sad. The "pool" and the hot tub are beyond small, although the hot tub has a nice view. But again, who cares when you have that view to wake up to? The staff was friendly and let us check in early. The room was comfortable and had what we needed even if it was small. Everything was clean. The internet worked. We never ate there, so I can't speak about the food. But again, from my bed I could see bald eagles, a minke whale, and sea otters. As well as the most breathtaking view imaginable. So I barely remember the rest of the hotel, and doubt I would care anyway. Can't wait to go back! (If I didn't have a room with a view, I probably wouldn't stay here for the cost, although it is still a great location. Rooms are well-used and very small.)

Room Tip: Pay the extra for a room with a view and a balcony! Money will never be better spent.
Mike D, Manager at Land's End Resort, responded to this review, June 29, 2014
Thank you for choosing Land's End Resort. I never make that claim that we have the best view on the planet, but I must admit it is very difficult to imagine one that is better. I really do thank you for your comments as it helps to illustrate a point that I try to make to our guests. Some travel here and do not notice anything about our resort, they are struck by the beauty of Kachemak Bay from our doorstep, while others too enjoy the view but prefer to take it in from one of our luxury condo homes, or from a Starboard Bay Suite. We enjoy sharing the majesty of the beaches of Kachemak Bay with all who are fortunate enough to arrive here, we just recommend that you plan more of your Alaskan trip here.
Boise, Idaho
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

It's all about your stunning surroundings at the Land's End on the tip of the Homer Spit - a terminal moraine formed by a glacier thousands of years ago. Super comfy beds, bay side rooms are insanely cool, hot tub, bald eagles, sea otters - awesomeness! Sometimes has a musty smell but not bad. Food and drinks in the Chart Room are tasty and filling too!

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Mike D, Manager at Land's End Resort, responded to this review, June 29, 2014
Thank you for choosing Land's End Resort. I am thrilled that you enjoyed your time here and I hope that you can return soon. The end of the Homer Spit and Kachemak Bay and its glaciers are definitely awesome. Our Midhsip Bay Rooms are our most popular rooms, Chef Billy has our restaurant hitting 98% marks in our internal customer surveys---though he has his sites set on 100%. You should have been here this weekend--standing room only on the deck last night --pan seared halibut cheeks with curried sweet potato and spicy calamari salad was the dish of choice followed closely by the fried snow crab. Who would have though that grilled white king salmon wouldn't be the highliner?
Hudson
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

Loved the spacious rooms. The view was second to none, including the views of McKinley at Talkeetna.
The balcony was a bit cramped when both of us were out there, but it didn't really matter.
We would have appreciated an on site laundry to clean our fishing clothes.
We will be back if we are ever able to come to Alaska again.
Thank you for the memories.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Mike D, Manager at Land's End Resort, responded to this review, June 29, 2014
Thank you for choosing Land's End Resort and I am thrilled that you were able to take a piece of Alaska home with you to share with family and friends. Our Midship Bay and Starboard Bay suites are very spacious with a front row seat to the wildlife and fishing and tour boats enjoying the rich environment just off our doorstep.
Mt. Vernon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

The location at the end of Homer Spit is both good and bad. The view is very good, the restaurant is also very good, but the glaring weaknesses are: Access to the upper floor rooms, curtains that are @ 2" too narrow for the windows (HUH?), inconveniently located upper floor rooms, and a lacking fitness center. Although the view from the hotel rooms is very nice, Homer Spit itself is pretty well junked up with worse than usual tourist shops.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Mike D, Manager at Land's End Resort, responded to this review, June 29, 2014
Thank you for choosing Land's End Resort and thank you also for your time via phone earlier this week after you completed our internal survey. I am happy that you enjoyed your room the view and the our restaurant. Our Chef and our restaurant staff goes to great lengths to ensure guest satisfaction and take to our heart our slogan, "Where Smiles and the Ocean Greet You at the Door". I did pass along your nice comments to our restaurant manager. I have also notified our maintenance department to upgrade the curtains in the room that you were in and thank you for your comment. As I mentioned during our discussion, the one thing I would change about our resort is the location of our elevator. For some rooms, it does require a longer walk. I do disagree with your comments about the Spit and its vendors though it is over four miles long so there are sections that are not as inspiring as others. The shops though are very popular and include very successful local artisans as well as fresh seafood.

Been to Land's End Resort? Share your experiences!