“Wonderful Ambiance, outstanding restaurant” 4 of 5 stars

You added Halsingland Hotel to your Saves list
Halsingland Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   13 Fort Seward Dr., Haines, AK 99827   |
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Haines
“Wonderful Ambiance, outstanding restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

We selected the Hotel Halsingland through Tripadvisor and were not disappointed! As part of the historic Fort Seward complex in Haines, this hotel, over 100 years old, is understandably old-fashioned. We enjoyed the opportunity to stay in a national historic landmark while exploring the old fort's grounds and the area surrounding Haines. Jeff Butcher, the owner of the hotel, was a gracious and helpful host; his wife is the chef and we had the most outstanding dinner in the hotel restaurant! It would be worth another visit just to repeat the dining experience!

The Hotel Halsingland is not fancy. It is an old building and retains much of the charm of years past. Don't expect a 5-star experience. You will have to climb stairs, use a real key to enter your room, and experience a genuine claw-foot tub in the bathroom! Furnishings are modest but clean.

If you are planning to visit Haines, we would certainly recommend the Hotel Halsingland as your destination of choice! The friendly atmosphere of the hotel makes you feel at home, Jeff was helpful and informative (he even offered to keep our purchased halibut and scallops in his freezer while we were visiting!), and the food and service in the hotel restaurant was second to none.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Bremerton, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

I visit Southeast AK frequently as a non tourist and business traveler. I have stayed at many hotels throughout Southeast AK. Hotel Halsingland by far had the most courteous service and helpful staff then any hotel I have ever stayed at. Because it is individually owned, and not owned by a large corporation, the owner took specific care to make sure all my needs were met. I was held up by weather and was unable to fly out of Haines at my checkout date, the owner allowed me to stay past checkout time and kept me informed of my flight and weather.
Although the place is older, it is nostalgic to say the least. To actually stay in a place full of history is worth the money and although the rooms are a little outdated, the charm and hospitality outweighs the amenities. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is willing to step away from corporate owned hotels and support the local business community. I will stay there in the future when visiting Haines. Thank you Jeff.

Room Tip: any room is worth it
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Rock Island, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

We traveled for 2 weeks in Alaska and this was one of our favorite places. The managers went out their way to make sure we had everything we wanted. They even picked us up in town after shopping, which they did not have to. There was an error in booking our room. They booked us two rooms, but one of the rooms had three beds, which was enough for 4 people. Before we could go down and tell them that there was a mistake, they came to our door and told us they thought there was mistake made in the reservations and they immediately changed our reservation to the one room and credited our account for the second room. We would definitely stay here again. It was relaxing to work the jigsaw puzzle laid out on the lobby table, almost felt like home.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

The views from outside the hotel are amazing. The location is also great for touring Haines. And, this is the largest hotel in the city, which means that there are some extra services that it has that others don't.
But, there are many areas in which the hotel could improve: Cleanliness - even though the rooms are cleaned every day, the cleaners don't do as good of a job as they should, especially with the bathrooms. Fixtures - the hotel is showing its age. Paint - the hotel could use a paint job.
Finally, the restaurant is fine, but other places in town like Fireweed are better.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Wasilla, Alaska
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

The staff was very friendly. There are some stairs to climb, but not too bad. The room was quiet and very well sealed from the outside. The bathroom is a bit small, but still functional. Showers only, no bathtub in our room. Overall it was a good night stay in a quiet hotel.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Morro Bay, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

Interesting reviews from others... I put in at least eighty nights a year in hotels and have come to learn to place my expectations on location and description. So when I read "historical" it then filters down to location. Halsingland is in a community of 850, and when I see that, I have a pretty good idea what not to expect (Mission Inn - Riverside, CA etc).

Having said that, I think some of the folks concerns about what they saw are true. But it does come back to expectations. The hotel is actually two buildings connected by an addition and was built in 1904 as part of the U.S Army's Fort Seward. The restaurant, bar and lobby were was the Captain's dining building, while the rooms are part of what was a boarding house during the Fort's tenure.

So the plugs are sparse given the age of the building, but they all work. The bath sink is small and it is a challenge to put anything more than a toothbrush/paste and a brush on it. And there is no elevator just stairs (but then the building are two and three story). Great views, very clean rooms, definitely ample parking, and there is a need for some restoration (I think one of the reviewers posted a photo of the scaffolding on the roof as they continue with the restoration) All true!

So having those "expectations" (thanks to the other reviewers for their help!) we booked rooms for ten clients and myself and everyone, with the oldest being 87. They all had a great time and enjoyed their stay, but I told them what to expect...

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

We took 2 rooms (one for us and one for my parents - they were put two doors down). From the parking lot you must climb steps. Then you must climb porch steps. The you must climb old steps to the top floor. There is no way in my home state that a building like this could be used for a hotel! The codes here must be quite lax. There were no modern plugs. Only old things (see pictures) that were 6 feet off the ground. There was only one that the heater, tv, and lamp had to plug into. So you couldn't have everything plugged in at the same time! There were no screens on the old wood windows. There was no air conditioner. The heater was a little electric one you have to plug into the wall. We started seeing one or two fireants. Then we found more. A drawer had a bunch in it! We told the lady and she moved us to another room. She said these things happen...Later my parents found fireants in their room also. Not a place for a good nights sleep! The owners were so unsurprised I couldn't believe it! There was some coffee (no tea like advertised) and banana bread in the office at breakfast time. There is no ice machine, but when asked the lady went down to the cellar of the office building and got us some out of her freezer.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Halsingland Hotel? Share your experiences!