“A Magical Spot To Connect With Alaska” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Alyeska

You added Hotel Alyeska to your Saves list
Hotel Alyeska
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   1000 Arlberg Road, PO Box 249, Girdwood, AK 99587 (Formerly Aleyska Prince Hotel)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Girdwood
Anchorage, Alaska
“A Magical Spot To Connect With Alaska”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

My wife and I recently spent a weekend at Alyeska for a quick vacation away from Anchorage. I've skied Alyeska numerous times but never stayed at the hotel. We had plans for a nice relaxing weekend of skiing, but Mother Nature had other plans. The warm temperatures and rain kept everyone but the hardiest souls from the mountain.

Instead we took advantage of all the amenities and were blown away. The saltwater pool and hot tub were especially nice. We ate at three of the restaurants and enjoyed all of them. Our room was amazing. The view of the valley was reason enough to never turn on the TV. This was probably the most well-built hotel I've ever seen. Everything was made from heavy wood and felt like it would last 50 years. Every little touch had a level of class that's unexpected in a hotel in this price range. We will return, without a doubt.

Room Tip: Spend a little more and get the deluxe room. Either side has an excellent view.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
Alaska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

We visited Alyeska Resort on January 20th, 2013. We planned on skiing that day but as we both had the next day off (MLK Day) we decided to check and see if there were any rooms available for that night, we also knew that some friends from Eagle River would be there and that helped make the decision. They did have a package deal, $199.00 for two lift tickets and a room, not bad since the cost of two lift tickets is $130.00, to the room was $69.00. When we checked in I asked if we could stay near our friends on the 8th floor but it was an upgrade, and all the rooms were full but she did upgrade us to the 7th floor where you get some extras, like robes and slippers (which come in handy for going to the pool) and a bit better view.
We skied for about 4 ½ hours. When we first started skiing it was snowing hard and overcast making it difficult to see but as the day went on the snow let up a little and made for much better vision. The snow was fabulous, over the knee fluffy powder snow.
After the first two hours, we decided to stop at the mountain top restaurant and have a drink of water but to our surprise, it wasn’t open. The tram had had an accident a few weeks before and still wasn’t operational, so as there wasn’t tram access, I guess they shut it down.
At some point we just got really tired and decided to quit for the day, so we headed for the Sitzmark for some après ski. We placed our skis on a rack on the slope side of the bar and went in and had a couple beers before deciding that we would go to the Double Musky for gumbo, which I had been yearning about for months. When we went out, my skis were on the rack but my wife’s were gone! Bummed! I headed back to the hotel and got our car so I could come back and pick her up (I had to take the ski lift part way up the mountain to be able to ski to the hotel and since she didn’t have her skis, she had to wait for the car). We called Security and let them know.
After the Double Musky it was back to the hotel and the hot tub. The hot tub was crowded (as it usually is) and it seemed to have some issues, shortly a staff guy came by and said they had to have everyone out by 10:30 PM as they were going to do some work on it.
The next day we got up, packed and headed to the Bake Shop, which is right next door to the Sitzmark. My wife had a hunch that someone had mistakenly taken her skis and sure enough, when we looked on the ski rack, there they were! Great!
All and all, we had a great time, the hotel was and is really nice, we’ve stayed there many times before and hopefully will again soon.
Hint: Don’t eat or drink at the hotel as it’s expensive. Take the shuttle and go to the Sitzmark, Double Musky, the Bake Shop or somewhere else and enjoy the Alaskana.

Room Tip: Avoid the 3rd floor, lots of traffic going and coming from the pool area.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Anchorage, Alaska
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Take a hot shower!! Seriously! There was no hot water in the room. Not a drop! We informed the hotel staff who looked at my like I was speaking Russian. I think she was stoned out of her gourd. She looked at my blankly for a little bit and then said, "Oh I'm sorry. That sucks."
Speaking of the staff here, not impressed. The guy working the desk when we checked in looked at us like we were homeless cockroaches trying to check into the Ritz. We were cleaned and well-dressed, we couldn't figure out why he was acting like that towards us.
Dont' get me wrong this is a pretty nice hotel. The surrounding area is spectacularly beautiful and the skiing, hiking, recreating in this area is A.M.A.Z.I.N.G. However, for the price you pay to stay in this hotel you would think they would train their staff to be a little more courteous and attentive.
The room is small but our view was amazing. We went to the pool and it was full of people that stared at us coldly and muttered "tourists" under their breaths. This is funny because I am a third generation Alaskan, and I live in Anchorage. I was born in Anchorage so were all my children. These "locals" who probably hale from California and have taken up residency to work the ski slopes just have to hate on "tourists" to get their local badges or something. I don't know. Anyways it was an uncomfortable experience because we were not there to have confrontations or be sneered at, we just wanted to enjoy the pool. The pool was a little dirty and in disrepair. We were not that impressed. It doesn't look as nice as it does in the pictures.
The rest of the hotel is nice and well kept. There are neat little shops and a cafe. The restaurant isn't all that bad.
Again I guess people don't go to Girdwood to spend time in a hotel. They go to enjoy the great outdoors. This establishment is squarely situated on prime real estate in that matter. Its a beautiful, well-kept hotel but we were frozen out by the chilly reception and lack of hot water. For your money I bet you could stay down the road at a B&B where you would get a hug, a free brownie and a sit in a warm bath for what you pay to stay at the Hotel "Cold-as-Ice" Alyeska.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room with a view of the ski slopes. I think it is worth it and make sure you as...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
AlyeskaResort, Manager at Hotel Alyeska, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Florence F,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our hotel. I apologize that you did not have hot water in your room but I am glad you called so we could fix it for you. We have an excellent staff throughout the resort so I would like to discuss in detail your experience if you could call me. I am surprised by your comments of the pool as it is staffed from opening to close with a strict cleaning regimen.

I look forward to discussing this with you in the near future

Sincerely

Darren Hawes
Operations Manager
The Hotel Alyeska
907-754-2109
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013 via mobile

I visited The Alyeska hotel on a reward trip. We have visited Alaska on a cruise two years ago. If you have been on a cruise don't discount a trip to Girdwood. Those two vacations each have something special to remember. The ride from the airport was beautiful. It was midnight an still daylight. I suggest packing an eye cover to sleep in. The check in was very pleasant. All the other reviews that had a good remarks share my thoughts but I have a different insight of the employees. Just as a reminder this hotel is not in the center of modern conveniences. This is usually fine with me. One morning I was getting ready for an excursion and I completely broke one of my back teeth. I knew I had a few hours of being pain free before I would loose my mind. Yes I went into panic mode!!! The concierge lisa told me to sit by the phone and she would see what she could do in this Friday morning. Within minutes she had an appointment at a dentist office and a driver in his way. Just remember, the city is almost 1 hour away. He picked my husband and myself up and went to town. The dentist temporarily fixed my tooth and I had no more pain. Thanks to Lisa I was able to go dog sledding that afternoon. This vacation could have been a memorable disaster but due to a great team member it was wonderful!!

• Stayed July 2012
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

July 2012, I won an employee award which sent me from Sydney to Hotel Alyeska. Long flight via Vancouver. I had my misgivings before I arrived, stupid things like where do i eat and do laundry, what do they eat, it is summer, what do you do, they shoort bears etc. I booked a limo to pick us up from the airport and a Ford van came. So tip to you guys, when you book transfer, make sure you confirm and re-confirm. If they show up in a vehicle less than what you ordered, make a fuss. I did and i got my money back. That aside, that 40 minute ride is absolutely beautiful as you skirt the sounds and forest on the way to Alyeska. The lobby is eccentric to say the least with a stuffed polar bear overlooking the foyer. I was part of a 300 strong corporate group so, the check in was quite efficient. I asked for a high room and we got 8th floor overlooking the carpark. Misgiving #2, oh no, carpark, that means i will hear tour buses, cars and what-nots throughout the day. Wrong. It was quiet. Misgiving #3: there is nothing to do. There is plenty to do. Went to the conservation centre (more of that in another review), took long walks around the resort and off the resort. Walked to Girdwood, walked to Bakehouse, went up the mountain on the cable car, soaked at the most gorgeous hot tub. I had a lunch at the Aurora Bar & Grill which is nothing to write home too. Take the shuttle into town and try the myriad of cafes+restaurants there. Really really good food.
Also ate at Seven Glaciers (as part of the award). Apparently, it is very expensive to eat up there. The journey up there is quite spectacular. The food is, well, ok. Again, go into town.
There is a complimentary shuttle which runs in a circuit, I think from memory, it goes around every 40 minutes. Make sure you get the time right, and if you happen the only person in the bus, tell the driver that you intend to come back at a specific time. My first time in town, the driver, kid you not, drove past me and when he came around 1 hour later, he thought i was "standing around". Right.
To the rooms: we had a HUGE room with 2 x queen beds. The bathroom is split: one toilet closet and one shower+bath. I can imagine this place can be so cozy during ski season. If you are tired from all the walking, just chill in your room. All rooms have views of the mountains.
So, have i changed my mind about "The Shining" ? No, it is a scary/weird film. Have I changed my mind about Girdwood? Oh yes indeed.

Room Tip: Pick high rooms. Apparently WIFI signal are strongest as you go higher.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

Every trip to Alyeska has been excellent! The rooms are comfortable and the location is second to none. The restaurants exceed expectations every time! I love using the towel warmer after a day in the slopes!

Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

Had a great trip to Alaska last summer. Went to Alyeska Resort and based all of our travels from there. The hotel was beautiful as was all the scenery surrounding it. The hotel is about 44 miles from Anchorage and an easy drive while looking at bald eagles. The hotel arranged our outings and acquired all tickets for us. The staff was very helpful and had a relaxed, friendly attitude. The trips I found on their web site and others. Just a call to concierge had everything planned with transportation from door to door. No crowds in the summer made everything more enjoyable except for the mosquitoes. Be prepared for that with some spray. Exciting area with train trips, boat rides, helicopter tours, glaciers, and a camera heaven. Basing out of this hotel made a trip we will remember forever. We were able to make it our trip not some preplanned tour. We will do this again.

Room Tip: All of the rooms had a view.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Alyeska? Share your experiences!