“Multiple stays” 5 of 5 stars

Stay seven pay six.
Courtenay, Canada
“Multiple stays”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

I stayed at the Magic Reef for the second time in April 2013. Everything about the place is fantastic, especially the staff - from the receptionist to the considerate cleaning staff who keep the bungalows immaculate and beautiful. The layout of the bungalows is perfect; it's private and serene, and I particularly loved sitting out on the sundeck in the morning with a cup of coffee and a gorgeous ocean view. I enjoyed every moment of my holiday both times I stayed, and I'm already planning to book another few weeks in spring 2014. I cannot recommend Magic Reef highly enough. -- Bill Slaughter, Courtenay, BC, Canada

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

153 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
portland, oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

We stayed at Magic Reef for three nights on the second half of a quick weeklong trip that took us first to Aitutaki and then back to Rarotonga. In short, Magic Reef was exactly what we had hoped it would be. The bungalows are large, clean, private, the kitchen well-equipped, the outdoor showers were great, while the units have a/c the breeze blowing off the ocean provided Mother Nature's a/c, the grounds were very nice - great ambience, quiet, plenty of chairs for relaxing/reading (in addition to chairs on our bungalow deck), and the pool was refreshing. The sunsets were to die for; each of our three nights we enjoyed the classic South Pacific sunsets usually seen in picture books and then walked 50 yards down the beach to the Waterline Restaurant which we also highly recommend for its ambience, view, food and friendly staff. Our time at Magic Reef started with Grace meeting us at the airport, stopping at a store so we could pick up a few things, and dropoff back at the airport was also included. In fact, as we were on the 2359 flight back to LAX, we stayed at the condo until 10pm. We spent a day and a half exploring the island with the rental car we rented from Island Car Rentals just down the road. If there was one drawback, the beach isn't really good for swimming (very shallow and rocky), but most other parts of the island with better swimming right out front don't have the western exposure for the sunset or they're much more crowded. And of course the walking in either direction was great. On our island exploration we stopped at Palm Grove which has a great beach for swimming, but no pool and no sunset. We also went to Muri which felt to us like being at Disneyworld in Florida of the USA - too many people and a bit artificial. I would highly recommend Magic Reef for anyone who wants to relax and unwind in a peaceful classic South Pacific bungalow right on the ocean.

Room Tip: Units 1 and 2 are absolute beachfront, units 3 and 4 are the next units in from the beach; we staye...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

We spent the last five nights of a 15 night Cook Islands holiday at Magic Reef in one of the Absolute Beachfront bungalows, B1, and it was fantastic. It was the most expensive of the three beachfront bungalows we stayed in (one in the south of Rarotonga at the start of the holiday, and another in Aitutaki), and I was pleased that this was the last, as the quality of the bungalow would have spoilt us if we'd stayed there first. I took one look at it and went 'wow!' the room was just so lovely. Every feature seemed to have been well thought out, and I loved the outdoor shower and bath.

The only slight negative was a couple of large wooden things at the front of the bungalow (between the plants and the deck) and a large metal pole in the middle of the front of the deck. I personally barely noticed it, but it bugged the hell out of my husband, which in turn annoyed me because he kept saying how much it annoyed him! We never asked what they were, but I'm sure they were there for a reason.

I had forgotten that there was a continental style breakfast provided on the first morning of our stay, so it was a lovely surprise to see the bread, jam, cereal, juice and fruit waiting for us in the fridge when we arrived.

Grace was very friendly and helpful, and as was Thomas, who I understand is from the Pacific Resort and is managing Magic Reef in the interim period while it is apparently up for sale (due to the sad death of the previous owner).

The location was good, on the west side of the island, which meant lots of lovely sunsets.

The beach on this side of the island wasn't as easy to swim in as in other parts of the island, so it was great to have the pool, and I made constant trips to cool off there. I see that a couple of other reviewers have had issues with the cleanliness, but I didn't think this was a problem at all, the pool seemed perfectly clean to me.

One of the things I love about the Cook Islands is that there hardly ever seems to be anyone around. I met a few of the other guests, but there was never anyone else using the pool on the constant trips to cool off that I made, and there was normally only one or two others on the beach during the day, so it felt as though it was a private beach.

Although we weren't there on honeymoon, I can see that this would be a very appealing place for honeymooning couples.

Room Tip: Absolute beachfront bungalows are the most private, as they face directly to the beach, but with jus...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Wellington, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

When we arrived we found the hotel's beach was littered with quite a lot of broken glass. We were warned to keep our bungalow doors locked because there had been a robbery the night before we arrived. While the pool was lovely, it needed cleaning and the surround needed maintenance, the wooden surround was coming away in places and rusty nails were visible. The location on the south side of the island was great for watching sunsets and near the main town. The outdoor showers were lovely.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Had a wonderful 4 nights at Magic Reef and very impressed. Gorgeous private bungalows, wonderful pool, peaceful and relaxing. Lovely friendly staff, friendly cat also :) Was with my mum for some much needed time out, probably more a honeymooners place but totally lovely nonetheless.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013 via mobile

Friendly staff and relaxing venue. Great honeymoon location. A little room for improvement (minor issues with the cleanliness of the pool) but otherwise good value for money. Nice sense of independence due to the bungalows being separated, and outdoor shower areas were really unique. Staff were fantastic and helpful. A brilliant stay and would definitely recommend to others.

• Stayed March 2013
Madrid, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

We spent a couple of days at the Magic Reef during our honeymoon and after a 21 days travel across NZ.
Our bungalow was located just in fron of the sea shore. The view of the sea, the reef, the palms was awesome. At the back, wild nature, hills and forests... amazing.
Inside the bungalow you can fing anything you need, it's comfortable, fresh and fully equiped; there's even a high relaxing shower and bath outdoors!!
We were fully assissted by Rod and his lovely wife, Jo: we were picked up at the airport very late at night, anyway, they were so nice to us. The lady at the reception was very kind, as well (sorry, I don't remember her name).
In short, we firmly recommend staying at the Magic Reef, it's perfect for relax and privacy.

Room Tip: Bungalow number 1 is the best situated in front of the beach.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Magic Reef Bungalows? Share your experiences!