“A riding experience like no other before” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Victoria, Australia
13 attraction reviews
“A riding experience like no other before”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2010

A dream of mine was always to ride on the beach so my husband and I thought it would be a great experience to go on a trail ride whilst holidaying at Rarotonga. When we arrived to go on our ride as per normal I always go and pat the horses, well the first one went to bite me, the second one went to kick me and the only one that let me pat it was the one my husband was put on, luckily (so I thought) because he is a little scared of horses. Out of the four of us on the ride I was the only one that had ever rode a horse more than a couple of times so the guide put me on Benny and told me to stay at the back of the other horses as it doesn't like two horses one of them being my husbands.

So peaceful riding along the back roads of Raro until my horse decided just to take off through someones property, there was no stopping it until it came to a patch of fallen mangoes and then stopped to have a quick feed.
Alls well again as we head into the beautiful rainforest, quite a bit of ducking down as the horses love to walk under the trees with low branches. We came to a small waterfall (not Wigmores as it had dried up earlier in the week) and we were told to get off the horses and leave them on the track. We walked down to a beautiful little waterfall and sat there for a while chatting and taking photos, fabulous spot. When we came back out on the track the horses had gone so we had to walk probably over a kilometre to find our horses mind you my husband and I had no shoes on.

Back out on the road heading towards the beach, we approach the main road of Raro and start hearing what sounded like crackers going off, the horses start spooking the guide says to me tighten your reigns and off I gallop down the beach, I turned to see the other horses a fair distance away and a kid standing on the beach cracking a whip. Was heaven once I settled in the saddle and lived my dream of galloping on the sand and then into the water with the horse until my husbands horse got behind mine and my horse started trying to bite his we both were lucky we didn't come off .

Horses settled, we all enjoyed riding in the water, once back on the beach my horse goes into a gallop, unfortunately it didn't last long enough as my horse decided she was heading back across the main road, going home no stopping for any traffic they had to stop for her.

Heading towards home there was a few times where my horse got near my husbands horse snarling and trying to have a go at it, by this stage my husband had just about had enough and was getting really worried so i just tried to stay away from him, until we arrived back to where the horses are kept my horse just started charging towards my husbands, his horse started really playing up which he quickly ended up jumping off.
My horse carried on for a while until it came to the tree where its usually tied up and I was able to get off.

I would recommend this trail ride to someone that has had a bit of riding experience especially if your put on Benny. Or take the risk, hang on tight and show no fear,
Another warning before you book they do not provide riding helmets so I definately wouldn't recommend it for children.

dunedin
7 attraction reviews
“Should come with a health warning”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2008

Well it started before we left the paddock. I said I was very inexperienced, so supoosedly got a nice quiet horse.

That was okay but whilst i was sitting on my nice quiet horse one of the other horses decided to bite my leg. This left a nice bite mark with broken skin.

The horses knew where they were going and plodded along the road to the beach. This is when you need a sports bra cause by god when the horse decides it wants to gallop the bkini top under the tee shirt does not cut it. Holding on for dear life it was totally the horses decision.

We went up to the waterfall nothing too amazing here. Then came back down to the beach. I thought that I was going to fall off.
It was good when the horses went swimming. Then my stupid horse decided when it wanted to cross the road to go back to the paddock. Hmm stopping a 4 wheel drive whilst he or she crossed the road. That was okay the vehicle stopped.

It meandered slowly up the road then decided that it wanted to go in someones house. Then it realised it was on one side of the fence and the other horses were on the other side. This is when it decided it was going under this low tree.

Say no more there was no escape. I was thrown off the back of the horse. Whacked my head and got winded and struggled for breath. The ironic thing was we were getting married in two days time.

That night I couldn't move on one side and it was painful.

Let me say I won't be getting back in the saddle.

Christchurch, New Zealand
“See the Island and have Fun Times on Horseback”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2008

My sister and I enjoyed a fun trek on horseback while we explored parts of beautiful Rarotonga. I am an experienced rider, my sister has only been on a horse a handful of times...I thought this could make for a bit of a dull time for me, but I was plesantly surprised! We were on a trek with two other people, and we were each questioned on our experience with horses and asigned to suitable horses accordingly. The little horses totally knew what they were doing and we treked down to the lovely white sand beach, where we were able to trot or canter if we felt comfortable. We rode on up to Wigmores Waterfall where we all hopped off the horses and into the water for a refreshing dip. Once we'd finished up there, we went back down to the beach where we were able to enjoy the amazing feeling of swimming the horses in the sea, then finally we headed back. Our guide was informitive and humourous, and very easy to get on with. I will most certainly be back for another trek next time I am in Rarotonga. Kia Orana. :-)

Hamilton
“Cantering Island style over white beaches..”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2007

I've just got back from a great trip to Rarotonga in which I went on the Aroa Pony Trek. (November 2007). The ride started out with a trek down Aroa Road where you could see a little of island life inland down a quiet road. My friend who came with me was a beginner, the horses were cute and definitely knew where they were going which made it incredibly easy for her. We crossed a road and headed to the beach which was beautiful, the horses really picked up at this time and you were able to canter/trot at your own pace. Wigmore's waterfall was small, yet it was beautiful. We all had a quick dip to cool off, then headed off back down to the beach and a swim in the lagoon with the horses. The weather was beautiful, the guide was fun and easy to talk to and made sure that we were all comfortable on our horses whether we were beginners or not.

If I was to head back to rarotonga I would definitely take other people on the horse trek. It was throughly enjoyable and I would reccomend anyone who is comfortable on a horse to spend the time in going on the trek.

Los Angeles, California
20 attraction reviews
“Beware!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2007

My friend and I went horseback riding with Aroa Pony Trek in September 2007. The ride started out nice enough despite the gloomy weather. We began the trek on the Aroa Road and went down on the beach then crossed a road and went back into the hills to see the Wigmore's waterfall. The surroundings are lush and beautiful. The waterfall itself was fairly small. There was an overflowing trash near the waterfall, but you can still get some pretty shots of the falls. It started raining while we were there, so we headed back down the road towards the beach again. Once on the beach my horse got spooked and started trying to buck me off. The guide was a little bit ahead of me and watched the whole thing happen. My friend had to tell him to go get me after I was thrown from the horse! I ended up with a sprained, swollen knee.
We are not expert horseback riders, but we have gone horseback riding before. The guide didn't tell me about the horse's tempermant until we had already begun the trek. I was given one of the most stubborn horses, who had a mind of her own. If I were to do it all over again I would save my money and find other excursion or activity on Rarotonga.