“Clean and cheap place to stay near town.” 4 of 5 stars

You added Atupa Orchid Units to your Saves list
Atupa Orchid Units
PO Box 64, Cook Islands   |
San Diego, California
“Clean and cheap place to stay near town.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2011

We stayed one night after our trip to Aitutaki. Room was clean and the host eileen was wonderful! Raro is very expensive so good place to stqay if you are on a budget. Thanks again Geoff, Curt and Dakota

Room Tip: cheap place to stay
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Sydney
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2011

Arrived after midnight from the airport and realised it was a bad choice. The room was tacky, dark, unclean, and zoo like. But as we were due to leave the next day we figured, for one night, how bad could it be?

Sleeping was difficult because of the strong musty smell coming from the mattress. At 5am, my wife woke me because she could feel something crawling on her. I got up to check who was sharing the bed with us, and in the process was bitten on the hand by a centipede.

We left the room after that, and later the same morning told the owner Ingrid about it. Her response, or lack thereof, demonstrated poor service. Worst hotel experience I've ever had. If you are somehow still determined to stay here, double check the prices before you agree to the room.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reno, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2009

I chose this place on the basis of online information. I had never been to a Pacific islands other than Hawaii. I had 5 days in the Cook Islands, chosen because the airline agent said it was a pretty place.
Ingrid met me at the airport, and left me at the door of a tiny apartment - very middle class. There was nothing fancy, but it was clean little place with a queen bed & small couch, a fan, a bath with shower, and a kitchen corner. I also hard a little porch with furniture and a barbeque., and a yard with visiting chickens.
After a nap, I walked a hundred yards or so to a small store and stocked my little kitchen.
Later I caught the bus at the end of the driveway and circled the island. I rode that bus, with it's barefoot driver, every day. As I'd wait for the bus, local people would offer me a ride - to town, or to other things.
One day Ingrid took me for a tour of the island. She knew a lot about the history, and she loved the place.
One day we went to see black pearls - at the home of a woman friend. I'd had a look at store prices and these were more reasonable.
Another night we attended a wonderful dance competition, teams from all over the Cook Islands drummed and danced.
This was a good experience for me. I wanted to see what life was like - to get a littleidea of what it was to live there.
Now, Rarotonga is on the back side of the date line, my destination, Auckland, is on the other side. I was due to leave at midnight, and got confused about which night. Ingrid dropped me off at the airport the required 2 hours early. Nothing opens, nothing moves until an house before the flight. When I got to the airline desk & learned that my flight was the next night, I called Poor Ingrid who picked me up again at 11:30 and brought me home. Next night she again gamely delivered me to the airport, with a little checking, "You're sure, now, that this is right?"
In summary, an excellent experience, because of a knowlegable and welcoming hostess, and a comfortable home away from home.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
california
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2009

The lady that we dealt with was incredibly inappropriate and rude during our short stay at this budget hotel. I don't ever think that I've had a worse experience at a hotel, and we have travelled extensively.

Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Auckland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2009

This is a gem of a location for the budget traveller. It is on the back road (are metua) in Rarotonga. It is a 10 min walk to Nikao and slightly less than this to town (Avarua). Set up a long driveway the units are very quiet at night. Each unit is fully equiped for self-catering, spacious and super clean (service daily). There is no view to speak of but this is reflected in the low price. The gardens are very nice tho. The owners are super helpful and a great source of advice.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Atupa Orchid Units? Share your experiences!