“Mozzie Hell!” 2 of 5 stars

Cook Islands
Improve this listing
Ranked #37 of 57 things to do in Rarotonga
More attraction details
Owner description: Reachable by hiking trail or four-wheel vehicle, Rarotonga's only fall is also known as Papua Waterfall, because water from the Papua stream spills down the cliff into a beautiful swimming hole.
Brisbane
3 attraction reviews
“Mozzie Hell!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Only the brave should attempt the walk to the waterfall. As soon as you park your car or scooter, the mozzies descend in number and attitude... Even 80% DEET deterrent doesnt work (or is it just my blood?). I'd give it a miss unless scratching is a favoured hobby.

Sammamish, Washington
“Not worth the hike”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

We visited the waterfall in October 2012, the waterfall was pretty well dried up and lots of mosquitos. We used mosquito repellent but that was not enough. I would skip this one

Palmerston North, New Zealand
13 attraction reviews
“Can say we've seen it..”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

Not easy to find. We had to ask locals - but if you can find the Wigmore store it's not far from there, turn left at the abandoned Sheraton Hotel (which we actually found far more interesting than the waterfall). We didn't consider swimming in it, it was a bit murky for us though one other guy was. Not a lot of water that day but I've seen photos that suggest its better after the big rains. Still, it was something on our list of 'must do's' and we did it.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 attraction reviews
“calm and shady spot”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

this waterfall is not well signposted from the main rd, so study your map. Then its a 2 min drive up to the waterfall. Lovely serene and sheltered from the wind. Plenty deep enough for swimming and diving.

Tauranga
“Second time here and liked it better!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

We were over in May and not so impressed when I did my review.....but I went there again today (Sept) and there seemed to be more water....and I really enjoyed the swim! (I did not swim last time - only visited it.) Looking at it is nice....but swimming is great and the water is warmer than NZ rivers that I have swum in, so it was a treat. Lots of tourists there though, to remind me I was not alone in this lovely pool (unfortunately!)....but hey....I was a tourist too wasn't I!

Visited September 2012