“Loved it! So beautiful” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Te Rua Manga (The Needle)

Te Rua Manga (The Needle)
Cook Islands
Improve this listing
Ranked #8 of 27 Attractions in Rarotonga
Type: Mountains
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: This tall, rocky pinnacle can be spotted from several locations on the island and is a favorite challenge for those who enjoy a good climb.
Manyana, NSW Australia
“Loved it! So beautiful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

Wear good shoes and prepare yourself. It took us just under an hour to reach the Needle and man was it worth it! A rooster even followed us to the top. Def one of the best walks we have been on

Visited July 2012

Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 attraction reviews
“A great walk”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

We did this two years ago and the signs were a bit patchy but friends in our group did it on our recent visit and found it much improved.

Make sure you do the walk North to South.

There are guided walks but you don't really need to do it, although I'm sure some of the added "commentary" enhances the experience.

Visited July 2012
NSW, Australia
38 attraction reviews
“Worth the walk”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

We did the Cross Island track without a guide and found it easy to follow. The trip up is much easier than the trip down due to the steep decent, the roots and mud. Start from the harbour side and end up at Wigmore falls.

Visited June 2012
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
4 attraction reviews
“It was 2005”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

We went to Raratonga without any plans what so ever. We just wanted to get away for a fortnight. What a great destinaton. We went on the Jungle track with a fabulously nowledgeable guide named 'Pa'. He was just brilliant. He covered me with his own concuction of mosquito repellant that actually worked. When we took a break near Rua Manga (the needle) i could not resist myself and set about climbing the needle. I got a part way up taking a video on the way, one hand filming, the other grabbing hold for safety's sakes. I stopped when I got to that old ladder a part way up. It just looked to me that it was about to disintigrate. The view from up there was fabulous, soaring above the eagles down in the valley is just invigarating. When I returned to the group Pa was not impressed, asking to me please use my common sense. He was just brilliant.

If you are lucky enough to visit these beautiful Islands and its people, you have to do this walk.
Ed & Helen

Visited July 2011
San Francisco, California
18 attraction reviews
“Great hike, though a bit scary”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

This is a great hike! It's a pretty tough one, but it is doable. Some areas can be a bit slippery and it was windy when we got to the needle, which made it scary. I'm not good with heights to say the least and being up there was quite frightening. Once up there, the view is amazing.

We brought a compass with us and that proved to be useful as we took a wrong turn at one point early in our hike. It's also a good idea to pack lots of water and to wear insect repellent. You should also wear something that you wouldn't mind getting dirty since you're likely to get dirt on it and on yourself. We just wore our workout clothes. Later, we went to the beach and jumped in the water to get clean!

P.S. The date of my visit isn't accurate. I wasn't able to choose the correct date. I don't know if the date really matters though, except I wouldn't go when it has recently rained. It'd just be muddier and more slippery.

Visited July 2011