“Worth the walk” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Te Rua Manga (The Needle)

Te Rua Manga (The Needle)
Cook Islands
Improve this listing
Ranked #8 of 22 Attractions in Rarotonga
Type: Mountains, Outdoors
More attraction details
Owner description: This tall, rocky pinnacle can be spotted from several locations on the island and is a favorite challenge for those who enjoy a good climb.
NSW, Australia
38 attraction reviews
“Worth the walk”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

We did the Cross Island track without a guide and found it easy to follow. The trip up is much easier than the trip down due to the steep decent, the roots and mud. Start from the harbour side and end up at Wigmore falls.

Visited June 2012

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
4 attraction reviews
“It was 2005”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

We went to Raratonga without any plans what so ever. We just wanted to get away for a fortnight. What a great destinaton. We went on the Jungle track with a fabulously nowledgeable guide named 'Pa'. He was just brilliant. He covered me with his own concuction of mosquito repellant that actually worked. When we took a break near Rua Manga (the needle) i could not resist myself and set about climbing the needle. I got a part way up taking a video on the way, one hand filming, the other grabbing hold for safety's sakes. I stopped when I got to that old ladder a part way up. It just looked to me that it was about to disintigrate. The view from up there was fabulous, soaring above the eagles down in the valley is just invigarating. When I returned to the group Pa was not impressed, asking to me please use my common sense. He was just brilliant.

If you are lucky enough to visit these beautiful Islands and its people, you have to do this walk.
Ed & Helen

Visited July 2011
San Francisco, California
18 attraction reviews
“Great hike, though a bit scary”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

This is a great hike! It's a pretty tough one, but it is doable. Some areas can be a bit slippery and it was windy when we got to the needle, which made it scary. I'm not good with heights to say the least and being up there was quite frightening. Once up there, the view is amazing.

We brought a compass with us and that proved to be useful as we took a wrong turn at one point early in our hike. It's also a good idea to pack lots of water and to wear insect repellent. You should also wear something that you wouldn't mind getting dirty since you're likely to get dirt on it and on yourself. We just wore our workout clothes. Later, we went to the beach and jumped in the water to get clean!

P.S. The date of my visit isn't accurate. I wasn't able to choose the correct date. I don't know if the date really matters though, except I wouldn't go when it has recently rained. It'd just be muddier and more slippery.

Visited July 2011
New York City, New York
25 attraction reviews
“nice mountain trek”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

We started from the Avatiu track, it took us about 1hr30min. The trail is fairly well marked, and easy to follow. It had rained hard the night before and some parts of the trail are steep so we had to take it slow. Make sure to bring mozzie repellent, water and maybe a little snack. The view from the needle is unobstructed and overwhelming. If you want to climb up the actual needle there is a chain and further up rope with knots on it. Climbing up is fairly easy but you can easily slip off the rocks if your not careful. Climbing back down is much harder so if your not sure about going up don't try it.

Visited May 2012
Whangarei
9 attraction reviews
“Family climb”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012

We thoroughly enjoyed this climb - even our 7 year old who is very clumsy managed it with a bit of encouragement. Great view from the top, even a cheeky rooster! fun scrambling up the hills pulling on the vines and interesting plants, we got the guide book from the local bookshop which helped and we didn't get lost like some other people who went the next day after us, could have managed Pa's across the island treck after all and wish we had done it as we had done the hard part. Well worth it, one of the best things we did in Rarotonga

Visited April 2012