“best sammy on the island” 5 of 5 stars

off Main Road | Avana, near Muri., Cook Islands
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 84 restaurants in Rarotonga
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Large groups, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Takeout
Nelson
“best sammy on the island”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

Whats the best sort of fish to eat? Fresh fish.

Discovered The Mooring into our second week on the island and OH MY GOSH- best sandwichs we have ever had. More of a giant burger than a sammy.
Generous servings of fresh fish with local salad ingredients and delicious homemade sauces. Definitely a must visit, I guarantee you will be going back again for lunch!

I would reccomend dining after 1pm to avoid the rush and also increase your chances of seeing Moko and his charter coming back in with their catch(your fish!)

They do not have a liqour licence but are happy for you to bring along your own.

97% Recommend
Vancouver, Canada
“Best eating from a shipping container. Ever.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

A must-do. Really good casual food. Lovely, friendly service staff. Even after traveling on a scooter in a downpour to get a sandwich they made the trip worthwhile with their smile and promise it would be sunny as ever by 4pm (note: they were right!). The F.O.B. was our top choice. Worth every fried fish calorie! Came back a second time.

Ensenada, Mexico
“Great Mahi Mahi Sandwich”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

This is a very simple place, you sit outside on picnic benches, but the food is fantastic, the crumbed Mahi Mahi Sandwich is out of this world. We ate here several times an we were not disappointed. If you want beer or wine bring it as they don't have a license. Located right on the bay.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Wollongong, Australia
“great little find - well worth a visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

The fishing club was recommended to us by the owner of our hotel, we were a little dubious at first as the fishing club is very small. What a find!! Delicious, freshly cooked fish and chips enjoyed sitting outside overlooking the picturesque blue ocean - what more could you want on a trip to Rarotonga!
Highly recommend for a nice casual lunch during your visit to Rarotonga.

Visited December 2012
“The Food is Addictive with a Fantasic View”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

As I was riding my bike across the island on my 1st day in Muri Beach, I noticed The Mooring Fish Cafe and stopped by. There is a fantastic view as you approach the harbor which is a treat in itself. There is also a "thought of the day" which is funny and enriching as you walk up to the counter. This cafe is outside with picnic tables an umbrellas and magazines to keep the solo traveler entertained;-). The service is friendly and the best on the island! Jill the owner is my new friend and I will encourage the tripadvisor community to not pass up the cafe!!! It is a Must Do before you leave the Island.

Now, I ended up visiting this place everday that I could because the taste of the fish sandwiches lingered with me throughout the day and night. Initially, I had the Moko tuna sandwich with lime mayo, which began my love affair. Then I tried the Tijuana Cajun tuna with spicey pickle sandwich, which continued to entice my taste buds. Lastly, I tried the FOB (fresh off the Boat) crumbled Mahi Mahi with lime mayo, it was yummy for my tummy!! Last but not least, the driver of my addiction was the Turkish bread that holds together the sinful work of art that must be eaten daily while adventuring the island of Rarotonga!!!

The Mooring Cafe will be an unforgettable eating experience which I will always come back to enjoy!!